Marching band judge info

Folks:

I am a marching band music judge and am relocating to Austin this summer (2006). I'd like to continue to be involved with marching band activities and judging. I have judged in the NYC area for Cavalcade of Bands, Musical Arts Conference and USSBA.

I'm also an Eastman grad and Yamaha Performing Artist, and former symphony orchestra musican. I was also formerly a member of the board of directors for Youth Education in the Arts, parent organization of the USSBA, Cadets and Crossman. I am also a band and orchestra clinician for Classic Festivals.

If anyone can give me some information on how I can get involved with marching band judging in Texas when I move to Austin, I'd appreciate it.

Michael Drapkin

973-902-9744

michael@drapkin.net

www.drapkin.net/music.html

In Texas, we really have only two major sets of competition:

UIL (Texas-based Interscholastics Group)

BOA (The definitive National marching band organization)

More information on UIL Judging and Proceedures for Marching Band are found here:

http://www.uil.utexas.edu/music/marching_decriptors.html

More information on BOA Judging and Proceedures are found here:

http://www.bands.org/public/resourceroom/adjudication/

If you need any more information on how all this crazy stuff works, don't hesitate to ask!

To become a judge or a clinician in the state of Texas you must first become a member of a group called TMAA - otherwise know as TEXAS MUSIC ADJUDICATORS ASSOCIATION

These are the requirements you must have before becoming a member of TMAA -

New Membership

In order to be considered for active membership in the Texas Music Adjudicators Association (TMAA) all candidates must satisfy the following components:

1. Successful teaching component

Every candidate must have five years of successful teaching in the state of Texas.

2. Employment in music education component

Every candidate must be currently employed in the state of Texas, as one of the following:

a. a public school or college music educator

b. a public school music administrator

c. a professional musician

3. Workshop component

Within five years prior to application for membership, every candidate must have completed a TMAA workshop in the performance areas (band, choir, orchestra, and/or marching band) in which he or she is applying.

4. Superior performance component

a. Directors of public school music groups (grades 7-12)

1) Lead, or primary, directors must have earned a Division I rating at Texas University Interscholastic League (UIL) music contests in each area of application (band, choir, orchestra, and/or marching band) in three of the five years preceding the date of the candidate's application for membership. Sight reading ratings do not satisfy this component.

2) Assistant, or secondary directors, whose ratings are used for applications for memberships, must submit a letter of recommendation from the lead, or primary, director of the organization. This letter should detail the responsibilities of the assistant, or secondary, director of the organization during the period of time related to the ratings submitted.

3) Primary conductors of college/university music organizations must submit documentation attesting to five years of teaching in the state of Texas in the areas of application (band, choir, orchestra, and/or marching band). They must also submit three letters of recommendation from current TMAA members. These letters must state qualifications of the candidate.

5. Adjudicator/clinician component

a. A candidate must have served as an adjudicator in a Texas UIL music contest in his or her areas of application (choir, band, orchestra, and/or marching band) in at least two different regions within five years prior to application for membership

Or

b. A candidate must have served as a clinician-conductor of a Texas Music Educators Association (TMEA) or Association of Texas Small School Bands (ATSSB) All-Region group in the areas of application in at least two different UIL, TMEA, or ATSSB regions or areas within five years prior to application for membership.

Or

c. A candidate may satisfy the adjudicator/clinician component by serving once an an adjudicator in a Texas UIL music contest and once as a clinician of an All-Region group as detailed in a. and b. above.

Or

d. A candidate may satisfy the adjudicator/clinician component by serving at least once as a conductor of an All-State group in the areas of application within the five years prior to applying for membership

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh, and don't know how long its been since you've been a USSBA judge, but there are several USSBA TX shows now (I am a judge for USSBA and was in VA/NC before moving to TX).

Also, if you are interested in staying involved in Drum Corps... there are several in the state, including a new project, called the Austin Stars, starting up in Austin

• 3 months later...
  • 7 years later...

Thanks for all of your replies - I just tripped over this posting from 8 years ago!  I did go FrontierDirector's route, and started judging for US Bands (then called USSBA) as a music judge and a chief judge and have judged shows all over the state of Texas.  We enjoy living in the Austin area, and this fall if you'd like me to stop by one of your marching band rehearsals and give a free critique, clinic or just make a tape, as long as I will not be judging your band in one of my US Bands shows, it would be my pleasure to do so.  michael@drapkin.net

• 1 month later...