2016-2017 UIL Music Updates (A bit late to post this)

If y'all were not already aware there were significant UIL Music Updates both, on the UIL Music department level and including updates to the Music Sections of the UIL Constitution. 

I will start with some news that I could not find any reference from the official Music Update PDFs or even the C&CR Update to the UIL Constitution.

If you were not already aware, UIL State Marching Band contest now takes place 3 days, at least for the 4A/6A Conference that is anyways. Inside the spoiler are the dates with the direct source. 

Edit: I just remembered, I also, filed a complaint directly with UIL in the same rule proposal as some of the others about how, Finals for a lot of the Marching band contests would end extremely late around 10 pm or even midnight and most bands don't get back until around 4am to 6am depending on the distance but to make matters worse, Most if not all of the band's school district require those students to be in school the next day with as little as 5 to even little as 2 hours of sleep, which should be huge violation if not, Human rights, than something else. It was because UIL and TEA only allows so many excused absences for extracurricular activities which, doesn't affect the 90% attendance. So UIL had to ask TEA or Congress to allow an additional excused absence.

NOVEMBER 7, 8, & 9, 2016
ALAMODOME, SAN ANTONIO, TX
Monday, November 7, 2016 - 4A Prelims - (9 AM to 4 PM)* 

4A Finals - (6 PM to 9 PM)*
Tuesday, November 8, 2016 - 6A Prelims - (9 AM to 9 PM)*
Wednesday, November 9, 2016 - 6A Finals - (9 AM to Noon)*
Final performance schedules will be posted here approximately one week prior to the event.

*Subject to change depending on the number of bands that qualify.

*Click for Source*

Next are UIL Music Updates to the Prescribed Music List and State Marching Band Championships. The 2nd and 3rd one I had actually suggested through submitting a proposal to amend the UIL Constitution, which I figured warranted this since updating the UIL C&CR would had been unnecessary. xD Even though, I had graduated already, I knew that if it did went through, I would left behind another unknown legacy which was worth the risk. :3 Inside the spoilers are the 3 Music Updates and the sources.

1. Effective September 1st the Prescribed Music List has been updated for the
2016-2017 school year and also migrated to a new online platform. Updates
this year include all band, choir, and orchestra large ensemble lists, PLUS all
Class 1 solo lists and percussion ensembles. The review of all remaining solo
and ensemble literature will continue over the next several years. Directors
are encouraged to verify all PML listings prior to beginning preparation. For
more information please see: *Source*

2. Beginning at the 2016 State Marching Band Championships the following
formula for the number of bands advancing from Prelims to Finals will be
added:

If there are 36 or more bands in Prelims the bands ranked in the top twelve
places will automatically advance to the Finals. In addition any band below
twelfth place that receives a ranking of three or higher from at least two of
the music judges and one of the marching judges will also advance to the
finals.

For more information please see: *Source*

3. Beginning at the 2016 State Marching Band Championships a full retreat will
be held on the field at the end of the Finals in each conference to recognize all
Finalist bands.

*PDF Source*

Finally, we have C&CR Updates for the 2016-17 School Year that affect UIL Music since it has already gone into effect for the year starting in August or September. 

C&CR Updates for the 2016-17 School Year

1) Section 482, Limitation of Awards (Music Awards)
 Language prohibiting music groups from receiving payment for
participation in an interschool contest is eliminated.
2) Section 1102( B)(1), P.98, General Regulations (Limited Competition)
 Removes the current requirement for a student to be enrolled in a
corresponding class to participate in any music organization event.
3) Section 1102, P. 98, General Regulations (Non-UIL Contests)
 Removes the existing rule that a music organization may not cancel its
participation in a UIL contest to enter a non-UIL contest.
4) Section 1102(d), P.98, General Regulations (School Transfer Rule)
 Clarifies that travel hardship is the only reason that a school may be
granted a region transfer.
5) Section 1102(i)(1), P. 99, General Regulations (5A/6A Choirs)
 Allows the existing 5A/6A treble-as-varsity provision for new or
under developed music programs to be extended beyond the time that
the organization receives a first division rating in concert evaluation.
6) Section 1102(i)(3), P. 99, General Regulations (Varsity Waiver)
 Allows the existing non-varsity provision for new or under developed
music programs to be extended beyond the time that the organization
receives a first division rating in concert evaluation.
7) Section 1102(i)(7)(A), P. 100, General Regulations (Combined Groups)
 Extends the middle school/junior high combined school option to
high schools, but no advancement past region is permitted.
8) Section 1102(j), P. 100, General Regulations (Sunday Participation)
 Clarifies the Sunday exceptions in music and eliminates (2), which will
be a local decision.
9) Section 1106, 1107, P. 103-104, Area/State MB Contests (Rebate)
 Removes the rebate language from the music rules, which will now be
covered in the finance section of the constitution.
10) Section 1108(h), P. 106, S&E Competition (Performance Regulations)
 Removes the current provision that allows a student who earns a
Division I at TSSEC to then perform a solo from a PML list different
from that student’s instrument.
11) Section 1113(a and B), P. 113, Awards
 Removes the awards language, as awards for non-state events are not
regulated by the UIL office.

Non-C&CR Updates for the 2016-17 School Year
1) PML, Full Orchestra Concert Organization Evaluation (Required Music)
 If a varsity full-orchestra performs 3 full-orchestra pieces, the existing
requirement for that same school to enter a varsity string orchestra
would be removed, provided that the full orchestra performs at least
two grade 5 works (most difficult level) or an acceptable substitution
as currently provided in the performance requirements.

*PDF Source* *News Direct Source*

That is all for now.

Here is the *PDF Link* for people that want to see the 2016-2017 UIL Constitution

Here is the *PDF Link* to the TEA-UIL Side by Side for 2016-2017 which does not change at all or if anything does change it is usually minimal or unnoticeable.

Also, if you want to see the UIL Rule Proposals you can look over here too... *Insert Link Here*

And for anyone wondering how I managed to have successfully proposed a rule change for the UIL Music State Marching Band Contest, I actually submitted a large idea proposal of various ideas via the only form for suggesting UIL Rules changes because anyone in Texas can submit a rule change. You don't even have to be in austin at their UIL meeting for the rule proposal to be brought up anyways. xD *Insert that Link here*

Okay, for real though, that is all for now.

Edited by azn

Thank you for putting this all together and for submitting suggestions in the first place! I know that most of these have been talked about before here, but I think this is the first time they've all been in one place.

I am super excited about having 12 bands in 6A Finals (assuming 36 bands which is likely) and Full Retreat too!

And having 6A Finals on Wednesday is going to help a lot with being able to have good performances with kids that are awake. Last year's 1A/5A competition on Tuesday was an absolute beast running from 7am to 1am; kids that performed around 8am in Prelims were asleep on the field when they had to perform after midnight in Finals.

Thank you for putting this all together and for submitting suggestions in the first place! I know that most of these have been talked about before here, but I think this is the first time they've all been in one place.

I am super excited about having 12 bands in 6A Finals (assuming 36 bands which is likely) and Full Retreat too!

And having 6A Finals on Wednesday is going to help a lot with being able to have good performances with kids that are awake. Last year's 1A/5A competition on Tuesday was an absolute beast running from 7am to 1am; kids that performed around 8am in Prelims were asleep on the field when they had to perform after midnight in Finals.

yeah, I filed a complaint directly with UIL in the same rule proposal as some of the others about how, Finals for a lot of the Marching band contests would end extremely late around 10 pm or even midnight and most bands don't get back until around 4am to 6am depending on the distance but to make matters worse, Most if not all of the band's school district require those students to be in school the next day with as little as 5 to even little as 2 hours of sleep, which should be huge violation if not, Human rights, than something else. It was because UIL and TEA only allows so many excused absences for extracurricular activities which, doesn't affect the 90% attendance. So UIL had to ask TEA or Texas Congress to allow an additional day of excused absence.

Also, if there is more than 36 bands than Top 12 automatically advance to finals. In addition any band below twelfth place that receives a ranking of three or higher from at least two of the music judges and one of the marching judges will also advance to the

finals. Which means we could see up to 14 or even 18 depending how the scoring rubric works. But it is unlikely it would see more than 14 because they score based giving each band an actual ranking lol

Edited by azn

Wish retreat had been implemented the year I went to state. Always thought it was super anti-climactic to just have the medalists announced and be done with it.

I think it would be interesting especially with the breaking rank at the end of the full retreat.