2013 Duncanville Marching Invitational

This year's DMI is looking to be another big one with a lot of big names not only in the bands attending but also in the incredible list of judges.

The DMI will be on Saturday, October 26, 2013 which puts it the week before BOA San Antonio.

http://band.duncanvilleisd.org/modules/cms/pages.phtml?pageid=258719

Judges will be:

- Michael Brashear - Executive Director of TBA (former director of Richardson Berkner)

- Matt Harloff - Assistant at Avon HS, Indiana and Brass Caption Head with 2013 DCI Champion, Carolina Crown

- Mark Chambers - Director of Fine Arts North East ISD (former director of the Crossmen and Ronald Reagan HS)

- Scott McAdow - Former Director of Langham Creek HS

- Alfred Watkins - Former Director of Lassiter HS in Marietta, Georgia

- Kelsey Gleason - Has directed/taught Color Guard with The Glassmen, The Madison Scouts, Phantom Regiment, Carolina Crown, Spring, Marcus, and more

Current list of participating bands:

- Bryan HS, Bryan TX
- Carroll HS, Southlake TX
- Clear Falls HS, League City TX
- Colleyville Heritage HS, Colleyville TX
- Flower Mound HS, Flower Mound TX
- Fossil Ridge HS, Keller TX
- Haltom HS, Haltom City TX
- Hebron HS, Carrolton TX

- MacArthur HS, Houston TX
- MacArthur HS, Irving TX
- Mansfield HS, Mansfield TX
- Marcus HS, Flower Mound TX
- McKinney Boyd HS, McKinney TX
- McKinney HS, McKinney TX
- Plano East HS, Plano TX
- Plano West HS, Plano TX
- Richland HS, North Richland Hills TX
- Robert E Lee HS, Tyler TX
- Sandra Day O’ Connor HS, Helotes TX
- Stephen F Austin, Sugarland TX
- Timberview HS, Arlington TX
- Trinity HS, Euless TX
- Weatherford HS, Weatherford TX
- Westwood HS, Austin TX
- Wills Point HS, Commerce TX

If you include the exhibition by Duncanville, there will be 4x former BOA Grand National Finalists performing!

Edited by Xenon
Added Houston MacArthur to the attendees.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Schedule:

Irving, MacArthur::::::::::::::10:00am
Weatherford::::::::::::::::::::::10:15am
Colleyville Heritage:::::::::::10:30am
Trinity::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::10:45am
BREAK
McKinney::::::::::::::::::::::::::11:15am
Plano West:::::::::::::::::::::::11:30am
Timberview:::::::::::::::::::::::11:45am
Fossil Ridge::::::::::::::::::::::12:00pm
Wills Point:::::::::::::::::::::::::12:15pm
LUNCH
Flower Mound:::::::::::::::::::::1:45pm
Bryan:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::2:00pm
McKinney Boyd:::::::::::::::::::2:15pm
Robert E. Lee::::::::::::::::::::::2:30pm
Hebron::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::2:45pm
BREAK
Westwood:::::::::::::::::::::::::::3:15pm
Haltom:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::3:30pm
Southlake Carroll:::::::::::::::::3:45pm
Richland::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::4:00pm
Plano East:::::::::::::::::::::::::::4:15pm
BREAK
Marcus::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::4:45pm
Houston, MacArthur::::::::::::5:00pm
Clear Falls:::::::::::::::::::::::::::5:15pm
O'Connor:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::5:30pm
Stephen F. Austin::::::::::::::::5:45pm
PRELIMS AWARD/DINNER 6:15pm
FINALS
Exhibition Performance 7:30pm
10th Place 7:45pm
9th Place 8:00pm
8th Place 8:15pm
7th Place 8:30pm
6th Place 8:45pm
BREAK
5th Place 9:15pm
4th Place 9:30pm
3rd Place 9:45pm
2nd Place 10:00pm
1st Place 10:15pm
Duncanville Exhibition 10:30pm
FINAL AWARDS 10:45pm

Stephen F. Austin is under new leadership, including Cedar Park's former marching director as its new lead director.  That band is a work in progress but they are going to be pretty strong by the end of the year and a force to be reckoned with in the years to come.

What made him switch? I don't see why a marching director would leave such a strong program like Cedar Park's for one like Stephen F. Austin.  It has been very good in the past, but Cedar Park seemed better.

SFA has tons of Grand Nationals as well as regional accolades, and was probably the strongest and most consistent ensemble in the southern half of the Houston metroplex throughout 2000-2010. Cedar Park's director is also from Houston, which may or may not have inspired a switch. Also, sometimes assistant directors just want to be head directors, and this program is a wonderful opportunity for someone to take over.

FML, why are we even going. Traveling many miles from Austin when homework will burn a hole in my report card by the time the 6 weeks is over.

Out of town competitions were one of my favorite parts of marching band in high school. You get to see other bands' shows than those in your immediate area, you get to have fun and get closer to your band mates on the bus, and you get to show how great your school's band is to an area of the state that doesn't always get to see it.

Also, if you can't balance high school homework and band, it may be time to look for better strategies or manage time better. People specifically from your high school do the IB program while in band and end up going to great schools. If they can balance it, it may be hard, but you can too. Learning how to balance my extracurricular and heavy class load with band in high school helped me out tremendously for doing well in college, where it's easier to balance because I have that experience.

Out of town competitions were one of my favorite parts of marching band in high school. You get to see other bands' shows than those in your immediate area, you get to have fun and get closer to your band mates on the bus, and you get to show how great your school's band is to an area of the state that doesn't always get to see it.

Also, if you can't balance high school homework and band, it may be time to look for better strategies or manage time better. People specifically from your high school do the IB program while in band and end up going to great schools. If they can balance it, it may be hard, but you can too. Learning how to balance my extracurricular and heavy class load with band in high school helped me out tremendously for doing well in college, where it's easier to balance because I have that experience.

I agree with you on some points, but I hope that you realize that I can see any marching show on Youtube if I really wanted to see it. Youtube also has a replay function that allows me to see something interesting multiple times. Great time management strategy you mentioned there, socialize on the bus while being awake for 20 straight hours. I hope your realize that education has changed drastically since your times, and it should also be worth mentioning that this is an extra curricular class. If you had taken IB/AP US history or IB Theory of Knowledge, you would see a rapid shift in demographics since the late 20th century that has made college admissions and the work force more competitive. In the past few years, the best schools that students in our band have gone to is UT Austin, while other students go to Yale and Harvard. There are plenty of other ways to balance extra curricular and academics, and I've already had plenty of those experiences. Your "heavy" class load was probably a lot easier than what we get every night. Was your high school ranked at the top of the nation? Just please. Get real. 

I agree with you on some points, but I hope that you realize that I can see any marching show on Youtube if I really wanted to see it. Youtube also has a replay function that allows me to see something interesting multiple times. Great time management strategy you mentioned there, socialize on the bus while being awake for 20 straight hours. I hope your realize that education has changed drastically since your times, and it should also be worth mentioning that this is an extra curricular class. If you had taken IB/AP US history or IB Theory of Knowledge, you would see a rapid shift in demographics since the late 20th century that has made college admissions and the work force more competitive. In the past few years, the best schools that students in our band have gone to is UT Austin, while other students go to Yale and Harvard. There are plenty of other ways to balance extra curricular and academics, and I've already had plenty of those experiences. Your "heavy" class load was probably a lot easier than what we get every night. Was your high school ranked at the top of the nation? Just please. Get real. 

I hope you know that seeing a show on youtube does not compare to seeing it live. Of course, that may not mean much to some, and I get that. Also, there are lots of the top bands who don't end up on youtube.

Since you're from the Austin area, it doesn't really surprise me that you have so many that go to UT Austin. That happens a lot these days. Not sure what goes on at your school, but at the school my kids go to, there are always around half of the top 10 coming from the band. It's a given that band kids make top grades in the school. On meet the teacher night a few weeks ago, my son's teachers all commented on how well behaved and intelligent band kids are, generally speaking. Have a niece that was in band a few years back, at Lewisville. She took all AP courses and ended up accepted, with scholarship, to Northwestern University in Illinois. That's nothing to shake a stick at. She was in athletics, as well.

Yes, it's hard. I agree that kids have a lot harder work to do these days than I did "way back then," but you also have access to a LOT more technology than we had. Do you know what we had to do to complete a research paper or "term" paper? We had to go to the library and look on microfiche or in the encyclopedia. There was no "Google." There were no iPhones or iPads. Things have changed dramatically, yes, but while you're complaining about how hard it is, you should consider being thankful that you have what you do. Instead of bellyaching at having to travel with the band and how much homework you are going to have, you should step back and look around you. There are kids who would love to be able to be in band and travel, but they can't. Maybe their parents don't have the funds. Maybe they struggle so much with physical issues that they can't do what they'd like. You should spend a little more time being thankful for that brain of yours and for the abilities that you have and less time complaining. Just a thought.

I'm personally just confused on why someone who apparently lacks a passion for marching band would search for a marching band site, make an account, and take the time to post something. I don't exactly know what you hoped to find, but if you're looking for someone to agree and sympathize with you, you've come to the wrong place. The people who read these forums are some of the most passionate in the state, some who have been following band for a long time because of the memories they have created on these trips that are apparently a waste of time. My only hope is that you're looking to find a little bit of the passion that I'm sure some of your band mates have, and you really are looking for the answer "why invest time in this?" If that's the case, I wish you good luck, you've come to the right place to find your answer :)

P.S. I don't think the UT vs. Yale/Harvard thing really adds to your argument. Graduated 3rd in my class (while in band) and chose to attend UT because it is an amazing school. As did the saluditorian. Still balancing school (in a tough architecture program) and band to this day...look at that, it's even do-able in college! (Sorry, had to defend my school a little there :ph34r: )

While everyone is so fired up...let me throw in some band scuttle.  I'm hearing that Marcus will play their entire show for the first time at Duncanville on Saturday.  I'm also told today that Hebron is putting in a pre-show for the Duncanville contest.  There are a ton of quality bands showing up for this contest and it should be really fun.

I checked on tickets and it is cash only at the gate and they are expecting a big crowd.  Although I wish LDB was going to be there, I'm really looking forward to it.

Looks like the chances for it have gone from 30% to 60%, unfortunately. This seems to be the marching season of rain. Here's hoping it doesn't delay things to the point where there's no finals. I also hope that it doesn't rain ON anyone during their show. That's always a bummer.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:  Stay away, rain!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:  Stay away, rain!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

It's so nice to be able to come here and vent about it raining on contest day. Say "stay away, rain" to anyone who is not a band parent and prepare to receive their wrath! Yes, we need rain. Our lakes are terribly low. All I ask is that it rain on ANY other day except contest day. :( Mention this to non-band friends and they have a fit! Here...well, it's like Cheers where we understand one another! So I join with you and say....STAY AWAY, RAIN!!!!!!!

I'm hearing that Marcus will play their entire show for the first time at Duncanville on Saturday.  I'm also told today that Hebron is putting in a pre-show for the Duncanville contest.  

OOOHHH now that is interesting! I'm so mad I won't be able to go see this contest! I really want to finally see Marcus' full product! It has been bugging me not having a clue how they will do at SA and Grand Nats. I may not be able to see it until San Antonio, but I can not WAIT to see what Marcus has had up their sleeve! I remember someone mentioning somewhere that they hope Marcus is playing Sensemaya for their closer. If that is the case, I will be so excited! A snake charming show NEEDS to have Sensemaya in it, and hearing Marcus play it would be super interesting. Whatever it is, I think there's a pretty good chance Marcus will win Duncanville with that last addition. And as for Hebron, I find it interesting that they are already adding in a preshow this week instead of the week before SA... First, it shows that they most likely are finished with the actual show like everyone thought, but what are they going to be doing next week? Are they seriously going to dedicate all of it to cleaning, or... do they maybe have something extra planned for SA?  :o Probably not, but I'm still a little intrigued...

I also can't wait to hear how Flower Mound is doing! I still haven't had the privilege of seeing their show, but I'm really digging the white uniforms I've seen in pictures of them on the live blog. I am super excited for when I'll finally be able to see them live at SA! Coppell will also be sounding incredible at this point of the season. They are by far one of the best bands in the state musically. It's been 2 weeks since they won the music caption in BOA Dallas prelims, and Marcus is probably much stronger musically, but I think Coppell still has a shot at the music caption. At the very least, they will probably give Marcus and Hebron a serious run for their money. I seriously hope to see them in BOA SA finals where they belong. 

Seriously hope it doesn't rain for the sake of the competition and the bands' equipment. At the same time though, rain can potentially lead to some of the most memorable experiences for the band members as I'm sure quite a few of us know. Sometimes that's more important.  :) But it's not like there have been a shortage of rainy competitions, so I still hope it stays dry this Saturday.