Duncanville Marching Invitational

Duncanville is in a little bit over a week, and i was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on it, Here's the schedule

Lamar HS 11:00

Trinity HS 11:15

Byron Nelson HS 11:30

Midlothian HS 11:45

Southwest HS 1:00

Saginaw HS 1:15

McKinney HS 1:30

Poteet HS 1:45

McKinney Boyd HS 2:00

Coppell HS 2:15

Waxahachie HS 2:45

Marshall HS 3:00

Wakeland HS 3:15

Hays HS 3:30

Connally HS 3:45

Dawson HS 4:00

Dripping Springs HS 4:15

1-2 toss up between Coppell and Dripping Springs?

As good as Dripping Springs is, I still think Coppell wins this in a sweep. They already sounded fantastic when I heard them in early October, and they tend to peak at around state time. It's going to be hard for any band at this contest to put out the kind of sound that Coppell does.

As good as Dripping Springs is, I still think Coppell wins this in a sweep. They already sounded fantastic when I heard them in early October, and they tend to peak at around state time. It's going to be hard for any band at this contest to put out the kind of sound that Coppell does.

No band will put out the same sound Coppell does, but that doesn't mean they can't play their own shows cleaner and more musically. If volume were all judges listened to, Coppell would win every contest they go to.

No band will put out the same sound Coppell does, but that doesn't mean they can't play their own shows cleaner and more musically. If volume were all judges listened to, Coppell would win every contest they go to.

Yes, but this is DMI, where results tend to favor the state bound 5A bands in even numbered years. I think it would take a lot for Coppell to lose. Coppell's sound is also a stronger advantage where they are the lone 5A behemoth in a sea of 4A bands, which is not the case at most contests they attend. That doesn't necessarily mean they're infinitely better than the other bands at this contest, but it puts them more in line with what usually succeeds at this contest.

And to be clear, I was talking about quality and not just quantity in regard to Coppell's sound.

Edited by Donezo

I think that Dripping Springs will be first, and Coppell right behind them. Dawson, Waxahachie, Wakeland, and Poteet will be fighting for the next 4 spots depending on how well they preform. I think Dawson is going to do well even though they didnt make finals at LSP because within a week they came back and got really close to beating Friendswood who had won LSP by a 3 point margin...

I think that Lamar,Trinity,Midlothian,McKinney,and McKinney Boyd are all 5A.McKinney and McKinney Boyd also made finals in a very difficult Area B competition,so they are emerging 5A programs that certainly should perform well.Midlothian is also a program that is on the rise as well.Should be an excellent contest.

You're correct that all of those are 5A. Midlothian came in sixth at the Area C contest last week. Very respectable, being beaten only by Berkner, Rowlett, Coppel, Duncanville and N Mesquite.

Looks like Dawson got 3rd in Prelims as they perform at 8:30 in finals.

Just got a phone call, I don't have all of the results. Hopefully someone can post all results.

4A 1. Dripping Springs

2. Dawson :D

3. Connally

Color Guard: Dawson

I hope to get full results from someone that is there and post here!

Finals times are random draw times, 10-6 draw for times, then a break, then 5-1 draw times for finals... Not shocked DSHS and Coppell are top 2

Oh, this is the schedule we received:

Finals Performance Schedule

10th Place 6:30

9th Place 6:45

8th Place 7:00

7th Place 7:15

6th Place 7:30

BREAK

5th Place 8:00

4th Place 8:15

3rd Place 8:30

2nd Place 8:45

1st Place 9:00

DHS Exhibition 9:15

Final Awards 9:30

Oh, this is the schedule we received:

Finals Performance Schedule

10th Place 6:30

9th Place 6:45

8th Place 7:00

7th Place 7:15

6th Place 7:30

BREAK

5th Place 8:00

4th Place 8:15

3rd Place 8:30

2nd Place 8:45

1st Place 9:00

DHS Exhibition 9:15

Final Awards 9:30

Typically not a bunch of movement from 1st-3rd in finals placement, but 4th-10th is where all the movement happens because of the random draw for times... Should be a great finals, wish I lived back in the DFW so I could go

DMI Prelims Results

5A

1. Coppell

2. McKinney Boyd

3. McKinney

4A

1. Dripping Springs

2. Dawson

3. Connally

Outstanding Marching: Dripping Springs

OUtstanding Winds: Coppell

OUtstanding Percussion: Coppell

Outstanding General Effect: Coppell

Outstanding Guard: Dawson

How exactly does the adjucation scale work? I took a look at the prelim results and I saw "1/2", "3/6", etc. I'm not quite sure what that means...

The first number is the rank within the band's classification. The second number is the rank regardless of classification.

The first number is the rank within the band's classification. The second number is the rank regardless of classification.

Thanks for clarifying that. I was trying to figure it out.

It looks like there's an error on the DMI website. Dawson took the Guard Caption, but Coppell is listed as outstanding guard.

Edited by geebee1022