Best shows that never get talked about, or got overshadowed

Hey everyone! Steven here trying to start some fun discussion during these weird times for band! What shows do yall think should get talked about more? I have been watching a lot of shows recently that are really really great, but never get talked about! An example is James Bowie 2006. Visual design and execution held them back, but there are some very beautiful moments musically in that show, and it has what is my personal favorite ballad in BOA history. Another example for me is Cedar Ridge from 2013. Quite honestly my favorite rendition of The New Moon in the Old moon's arms ever put on the field, (Including DCI), but the show dosent get much love nowadays.

What do yall think?

Personally, Creekview 2004 while it wasn't a national level type show, they were really good that year. To me, that closer is in my top 5 closers! Pure insanity there! How they didnt make state finals and got 19th while they got 9th at BOA SA still shocks me!! Its a bummer Creekview has gone down since then but that year was sooo good!

Union 2017 I think doesnt get enough attention. I love that show from start to finish! It deserved more than a 10th place! There was one section near the end that they played a piece from a DCI group and did it really well!

I agree with you Steven, Cedar Ridge 2013 was a very good year for them! That show was great!

On 9/6/2020 at 1:15 PM, J-Mike16 said:

Personally, Creekview 2004 while it wasn't a national level type show, they were really good that year. To me, that closer is in my top 5 closers! Pure insanity there! How they didnt make state finals and got 19th while they got 9th at BOA SA still shocks me!! Its a bummer Creekview has gone down since then but that year was sooo good!

Union 2017 I think doesnt get enough attention. I love that show from start to finish! It deserved more than a 10th place! There was one section near the end that they played a piece from a DCI group and did it really well!

I agree with you Steven, Cedar Ridge 2013 was a very good year for them! That show was great!

YES! I completely agree on Union 2017. I always go back and give it a watch because I enjoy the musical selections and just the vibe from the show in general. The Dies Irae in the opener, and the arrangement of On the Nature of Daylight in the ballad (to complement the vocal performance) are amazing to me. I'd like to hear On the Nature of Daylight in more shows honestly. 

• 1 month later...

The tale of the Mansfield Legacy High School Band in 2013 is difficult to explain. I did not march this show but it appears that TMEA accidentally sent the wrong band to state and had to issue an official apology to the Legacy band at that time. The people that I have talked to (I marched with this school from 2016-2019) say that Legacy was first place in prelims at 4A Area B. However, finals got rained out and the people that chose bands to go to state looked at the performance order and picked Lake Ridge instead of Legacy. Lake Ridge's show was good, but since TMEA would have felt bad telling the Lake Ridge kids "Just kidding, we meant to say Mansfield Legacy" and it was Lake Ridge's first area contest, TMEA let Lake Ridge go to state in Legacy's place. I also heard that the judging was wack with every band there. There's a forum on this site from 2013 that showed confusion from people with every band's placement (http://www.txbands.com/forums/topic/4684-uil-area-b-marching-contest/page/2/). With all of that being said, Legacy's 2013 program "Sakura" would have been remembered more if it had the opportunity to be at the state contest. Here it is: 

40 minutes ago, aaron067 said:

Actually, Lake Ridge was first in prelims from what I remember.  Not sure about Legacy's placement, but that was definitely a point in time when they were going strong. 

Well I’m just going off of what a lot of witnesses have told me. If what I’m saying is true, the judges swapped legacy and lake ridge’s scores around therefore, sending lake ridge to state. I agree that lake ridge was doing quite well around this time. However, it has become clear that to me and the legacy members who were there, that lake ridge went in legacy’s place. 

No, I meant Legacy was going strong at that point in time.  I wasn't there, but directors have a verification period after they see the scores and rankings before anything is announced.  If Mr. Fugett or a director from any other program suspected something was amiss, they had ample opportunity to have it checked out.  I suspect Area B just suffered from a bad judge or two that year.  Unfortunately, it happens more often than it should. 

Oh forgive me, I understand. Yes the judging panel was complained about between a lot the bands there. Bands like Wakeland were given strange placements. The Legacy band kind of went under reconstruction the past few years. 4 head band directors since 2015. Recently, they made area finals the first time since 2009 in a tough, Area F. You seem to be familiar with the Mansfield area as well so you probably know what I’m talking about. Mansfield bands, in general, are getting better.