Best bands that don’t attend BOA

I kinda go about this on a regional basis:

In Dallas it is Highland Park hands down, I have never seen a performance like that in my life. Probably the best band in Texas that dosent attend BOA. 

In Houston I would have to say North Shore, even though they have attended SA recently. There 2018 and 2016 shows are among the best ensemble sounds I have ever heard. 

In San Antonio, I would have to go with John Paul Stevens. They are a very overshadowed band, and peak VERY late in the season, but I really really enjoyed their 2017 and 2019 shows. 

Austin is a bit harder, but I think this one goes to McCallum.

2 hours ago, Cityscapes said:

I kinda go about this on a regional basis:

In Dallas it is Highland Park hands down, I have never seen a performance like that in my life. Probably the best band in Texas that dosent attend BOA. 

In Houston I would have to say North Shore, even though they have attended SA recently. There 2018 and 2016 shows are among the best ensemble sounds I have ever heard. 

In San Antonio, I would have to go with John Paul Stevens. They are a very overshadowed band, and peak VERY late in the season, but I really really enjoyed their 2017 and 2019 shows. 

Austin is a bit harder, but I think this one goes to McCallum.

I agree with those as well. Also from SA I'd say Brandeis did pretty well this season. Their show was great, and they made finals at TMC. From the Houston area, Clements doesn't do BOA but shows up very strongly in UIL contests.

12 minutes ago, chesteriop said:

I agree with those as well. Also from SA I'd say Brandeis did pretty well this season. Their show was great, and they made finals at TMC. From the Houston area, Clements doesn't do BOA but shows up very strongly in UIL contests.

Yes, I was going to have Brandeis on my list but they attended SA for 4 years in a row until 19. And I forgot Clements dosent really do BOA anymore. I recall they had a fantastic appearance at BOA Atlanta half a decade ago!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Ya'll, so how does BOA classification system work? I know that they have 1A, 2A, etc..., but I have never understood how it all works, since I never watched or competed in a BOA competition while I was in High School. I also hear that the BOA 1A groups are really good when comparing them to UIL 3A and 4A marching band classification

2 hours ago, Dave609 said:

Hey Ya'll, so how does BOA classification system work? I know that they have 1A, 2A, etc..., but I have never understood how it all works, since I never watched or competed in a BOA competition while I was in High School. I also hear that the BOA 1A groups are really good when comparing them to UIL 3A and 4A marching band classification

BOA has four classes: 1A, 2A, 3A, and 4A, with 4A being the largest. Classification is determined by the number of students at the school in grades 10-12.

UIL has six conferences: 1A through 6A, with 6A being the largest. Conference is determined by number of students at the school in grades 9-12.

I'd have to look up the exact cutoff numbers for those, but they both change every couple years to make each group roughly even. The two systems are completely independent of each other, so it can be confusing which group bands are placed in since sometimes they overlap. Generally, UIL 6A bands are 4A bands in BOA, but some smaller 6A schools (e.g. Leander this past year) might be 3A in BOA. Similarly, UIL 5A schools tend to be BOA 3A, but sometimes they end up in 2A for BOA.

I could go into much more detail about the differences, but hopefully that clears things up for you

21 minutes ago, AlsoIntoSpace said:

BOA has four classes: 1A, 2A, 3A, and 4A, with 4A being the largest. Classification is determined by the number of students at the school in grades 10-12.

UIL has six conferences: 1A through 6A, with 6A being the largest. Conference is determined by number of students at the school in grades 9-12.

I'd have to look up the exact cutoff numbers for those, but they both change every couple years to make each group roughly even. The two systems are completely independent of each other, so it can be confusing which group bands are placed in since sometimes they overlap. Generally, UIL 6A bands are 4A bands in BOA, but some smaller 6A schools (e.g. Leander this past year) might be 3A in BOA. Similarly, UIL 5A schools tend to be BOA 3A, but sometimes they end up in 2A for BOA.

I could go into much more detail about the differences, but hopefully that clears things up for you

Yeah that makes more since to me now. I was just confused since some people say that some 4A school would be good in 1A BOA, which I'm guessing is where most 4A's are, or would they be 2A since 5A is 3A and some 2A groups?

12 hours ago, Dave609 said:

Yeah that makes more since to me now. I was just confused since some people say that some 4A school would be good in 1A BOA, which I'm guessing is where most 4A's are, or would they be 2A since 5A is 3A and some 2A groups?

That sounds right. For example, at the BOA D/FW regional last year, two UIL 4A schools attended, of those, Anna HS was 2A, but Krum HS was 1A.

In my opinion, it's hard to say how good smaller Texas schools do in BOA since there's not that many that do BOA. Compare BOA San Antonio and Grand Nationals: Of the 84 bands at SA, there were 52 4A bands, 22 in 3A, 5 in 2A and 5 in 3A, but at GN, out of 91 bands, 30 were 4A, only 9 were 3A, 30 were 2A, and 22 were 1A. For whatever reason, smaller Texas schools just don't do BOA as much