Marching Band Show Production during a Pandemic

Let me start by asking. What do band students get out of marching band? In Basic terms, and not fully complete.

1. They learn how to march.
  2. They learn how to be respectful of other boundaries (spacing)
  3. They learn how to breathe, manage airflow, and play an instrument at the same time.
  4. They learn how to interact with others.
  5. They create and contribute to an overall goal and picture.

I can honestly say that Marching band in its real form is on the chopping block this year. Are our Band directors and staffs able to teach the basic marching outcomes for students? YES. What I am seeing is a lack of imagination. Lots of complaining, but no contingency plans. Here are my ideas on creating an online marching band curriculum. In crude form.

1. 1.       How to march. 
    1. a. Film Student Leaders performing, demonstrating and breaking down marching techniques for students. Send to all students and have them send back recordings periodically. Hold a zoom chat 1 to 3 times a week for 15 minutes to be lead by the director or instructor.
    2. b.  Ask student leaders to reach out to band students to help them with any questions they have.
    3. c.  Provide students with the ability to record if they are unable to obtain equipment. (Band Boosters)
  2. 2.       Have students lay down yard lines 10 to 20 yard (3 or 5 lines). This way they will really get to understand the lengths of the yard. Can be done on grass in a yard or with chalk in a parking lot. Then they can practice marching on the lines. Furthermore, they could spray paint dots on the ground and work toward marching to them and back to the line. If they are able and it is safe, have them include a person do the same steps but 6 feet away from them. Help them understand spacing and avoiding the billiard ball effect.
  3. 3.       Teach students breathing exercises and then have them go for a short run while performing the breathing exercises. After that, have them perform long tones while marching those same 3 to 5-yard lines. Have them march down a sidewalk or parking lot playing a scale up and down in whole, half, quarter and eight notes.  
  4. 4.       Host a weekly zoom sectional where students and student leaders discuss issues and problems with the instructor or director. Go over any music to be performed. 30 minutes minimum. This is also a great time to introduce the music for the show and provide instructional resources.
  5. 5.       Directors and Instructors should create a 3-5 minute marching band show that showcases the students achievements while creating a video that includes all students. A final performance could be edited to create a production video that matches up to a universal song.

9 weeks of training and hard work culminating in a show is what would have happened on the field if we could be there. If things open and the band can get on the field. These lessons will be all the more valuable. Because opening is not going to leave much time for teaching and training. It is now or never. Take control of your show and create an online curriculum for your marching band show that will probably be an online show. I hope not. I miss the smell of grass.