Best experience you have ever had watching a band

Hey everyone! I know tensions are kind of high right now with all the uncertainty of this fall, so I want to introduce a more light-hearted discussion. Have any of you ever seen a band performance that you distinctively remember as being very very memorable? 

Ill start: 

Vandegrift 2017's Conroe finals performance

Vista Ridges 2018 early morning prelims run at BOASA

Stephen F. Austin 2019 St Louis finals 

Westfield 2019 Friendswood finals

23 minutes ago, abtwitch said:

Hebron 2019 Duncanville prelims

Avon 2017 BOA SA prelims

Westwood 2017 BOA SA prelims (proud alum moment)

The entirety of BOA Austin 2019 finals

Never saw Westwood live in 17 but man did they create some goosebump moments in 19

San Antonio in 2017 was my first BOA experience and first time seeing some of the top tier bands live (had just been to regional stuff up in the panhandle prior to that).

Hebron came on in prelims and good lord. I knew on video they sounded incredible and that they were one of the better playing bands, but I wasn't ready for the volume they had and the clarity of everything they did. The opening minutes of that show with the woodwinds multiple tonguing and their mellos just tearing it up was pretty overwhelming.

That whole weekend was mind blowing, definitely still my favorite set of shows top to bottom of the three years I've gone live and the ~10 years of following the activity.  

Very eye opening to what high school kids are capable of.  

I know this goes back in time a bit, but for me and my wife that experience happened at BOA SA 2008...(told you it was awhile ago :).  Our son had been in the high school marching band from 2002-2005 and never making finals at a BOA competition.  Our daughter followed in his footsteps with marching band starting in 2005...(the one year that they both performed together was awesome).  However, the trend of no BOA finals continued throughout the marching season of 2007.  Then we enter the marching season of 2008....her senior year.  By then I was a total band-dad nerd and was ranking the bands in various competitions.  My only wish that year was that our band would make a BOA finals performance in our last official year as band parents....really nerdy...right?!  In 2008, the only BOA competition on the calendar was San Antonio Super Regional.  Fingers crossed, we drove down to SA to see our daughter perform in her final marching band competition.  We were so encouraged with their Prelims performance, but aren't most parents??  Next up...Finals announcement.  The announcer called out 13 bands for finals that did not include our band.  Although disappointed, it was an awesome experience just to see the amount of talent on the field that day.  But then they announced the 14th band and it was ours.  Sooo excited!  There were James Bowie parents sitting  behind us that we had been talking to throughout the competition.  They were excited for us as well and for that reason...the Bowie Outdoor Performing Ensemble will always hold a special place.

Apologies for the long comment....

1 hour ago, LKendrick said:

San Antonio in 2017 was my first BOA experience and first time seeing some of the top tier bands live (had just been to regional stuff up in the panhandle prior to that).

Hebron came on in prelims and good lord. I knew on video they sounded incredible and that they were one of the better playing bands, but I wasn't ready for the volume they had and the clarity of everything they did. The opening minutes of that show with the woodwinds multiple tonguing and their mellos just tearing it up was pretty overwhelming.

That whole weekend was mind blowing, definitely still my favorite set of shows top to bottom of the three years I've gone live and the ~10 years of following the activity.  

Very eye opening to what high school kids are capable of.  

BOA SA 2017 was by far one of my favorite events in the last 10 years - so competitive and I think that was the most movement I can recall in the top 10 between prelims and finals - Avon in that mix was pretty awesome as well

6 hours ago, SpartanMarcher said:

The entire last block of Lone Star Preview final this year was amazing to watch, as well as Highland Park’s state prelims run

Oak Ridge was an experience that night. When they hit their big impact in "when she loved me" I was quite literally in tears. Also really enjoyed Spring high school's paint peeling low brass! A cold night with lots of emotional energy coming off the field.

Watching the Round Rock band kids pouring out of the Alamodome last November, literally shouting and leaping for joy because they had just been announced as a finalist band at BOA San Antonio. They made quite the comeback late in the season last year and it was very emotional for me personally, and to those around me as well, watching those kids celebrate their triumph. 

Volunteering at BOA D/FW in 2017, I watched the second half of prelims from the back corner of the field, and even from behind nearly every band was amazing. 8 of the 11 finalists came from those two blocks, FloMo and Marcus were on GN years... it was an awesome introduction to BOA for me.

and then Broken Arrow 2019 at St. Louis Prelims since there's really nothing like seeing Broken Arrow live.

I've unfortunately been unable to experience much bands beyond videos on YouTube, but from what I have experienced, I would say North Shore's 2019 exhibition performance concluding the UIL Area I competition. The top placing bands at the Lone Star Preview were incredible to watch as well, but North Shore just stood out that say at Area and it was a surreal experience. The wall of sound they created was like none-other (in context of what I have seen live). 

14 minutes ago, betelgeuse33 said:

I've unfortunately been unable to experience much bands beyond videos on YouTube, but from what I have experienced, I would say North Shore's 2019 exhibition performance concluding the UIL Area I competition. The top placing bands at the Lone Star Preview were incredible to watch as well, but North Shore just stood out that say at Area and it was a surreal experience. The wall of sound they created was like none-other (in context of what I have seen live). 

The amount of high-quality sound North Shore is able to produce is amazing. I don’t think I’ll ever really get over that 43rd in Music at SA

On 6/20/2020 at 1:21 AM, SpartanMarcher said:

The amount of high-quality sound North Shore is able to produce is amazing. I don’t think I’ll ever really get over that 43rd in Music at SA

Right!! I'm astonished by their placements at SA; I can only imagine how amazing the other groups sound live. 

2011 season.  First football game of my daughter's Freshman year at Westwood.  We're playing Cedar Park (they killed us incidentally).  So, early in the season.

Cedar Park comes in, starts the show, and it's Mahler 2.  NOT the last part, no, they're marching the 1st movement. WHAT THE?

CLEAN CLEAN trumpets, in tune. I've been thrilled a lot of times since then, but that first moment was when I fell in love with the possibilities.