2020 Texas Sized Pre-season Power Rankings

1 hour ago, LeanderMomma said:

I think we will see the Johnson HS band (Buda) rising quickly. 

How about Dripping Springs? 

Johnson HS (Buda) is definitely rising ranks after beating out plenty of bigger bands at last season’s Austin regional. 

Dripping Springs came really close to being in my “next 10”, but recent placements at the 5A SMC have plagued that.

1 hour ago, vbassoon said:

Johnson HS (Buda) is definitely rising ranks after beating out plenty of bigger bands at last season’s Austin regional. 

Dripping Springs came really close to being in my “next 10”, but recent placements at the 5A SMC have plagued that.

Here's a potential "next ten" to your next ten just for giggles:

Aledo

Bridgeland

Colleyville Heritage

Del Rio

Dripping Springs

Klein Collins

Lebanon Trail

McCallum

Timber Creek

Westfield 

On 5/24/2020 at 11:27 AM, Cityscapes said:

Here's a potential "next ten" to your next ten just for giggles:

Awesome! Though here is where one might see Roma ranked as well. Would have loved to see how they placed at state. Finals seemed very possible this year (school year) for them.

28 minutes ago, vbassoon said:

Awesome! Though here is where one might see Roma ranked as well. Would have loved to see how they placed at state. Finals seemed very possible this year (school year) for them.

Thats true! I was very impressed with them at BOASA. I guess I would have them in over Westfield, knowing very well Westfield could be back in the top 30 very soon.

I know Madison hasn’t exactly been consistent, but given our new HBD I have sneaking feeling that is going to change very soon. They may not be in the next ten or higher this year, but I think that will change either next year or two or three years down the road. The Madison Band is going places now. Last year was just a really tough year. 

37 minutes ago, MadisonBandMan1 said:

I know Madison hasn’t exactly been consistent, but given our new HBD I have sneaking feeling that is going to change very soon. They may not be in the next ten or higher this year, but I think that will change either next year or two or three years down the road. The Madison Band is going places now. Last year was just a really tough year. 

I wanna see them succeed so bad. Partially bc Wesley Perkins is a great guy. I can see them doing great things. 

Yeah. I think they will. There is a really great leadership team set for next year and the band is still growing both in size and talent. Numbers are already over 350 for this year and that’s really great. This will be Mr. Perkins first true show that he had the time and ability to design and polish, so I know that it will be a million times better than last year, and I know that he’s well known for consistency. I also know he happens to be an amazing motivational speaker and his speeches are amazing. I am confident to say that I know that the Madison band is under great hands. Not to mention the great percussion instructor we have and the color guard instructor who isn’t a literal founding father of a  winter guard circuit  in Texas and always designs amazing shows. 

The Madison Band will be stronger than ever this coming season. I can feel it. 

36 minutes ago, lost said:

looks good id give a slight edge to westlake slightly ahead of coppell and wylie ahead of cedar park

22-26 are all really close together could go a lot of ways depending on a lot in there

this is still very accurate and well done though

Thanks!

And yeah I guess my thought process was giving bands with more accolades this year a slight edge against those who’s main spotlight score was BOA SA; in this instance, Coppell’s 6th place finish at the St. Louis Super Regional and Cedar Park’s 5A State Championship. Not to say that BOA SA is not a good indicator of band’s abilities, but it’s just one contest. 

34 minutes ago, abtwitch said:

I'm curious as to why Bridgeland isn't in the top 30, they beat Oak Ridge by 2 points at Cypress Showcase.

Completely flew past me. ?Thanks for the heads up! I will try to rank them as accurately as possible.

38 minutes ago, vbassoon said:

Completely flew past me. ?Thanks for the heads up! I will try to rank them as accurately as possible.

Gonna be very cool to see them this season! They remind me ALOT of early 2010s Cedar Ridge

9 hours ago, skizzboi said:

B Centennial, Aledo, and Colleyville Heritage have all beat out Southlake Carroll...

You forget St Louis results exist, as well as Aledo dropping to 6th at the Waco regional, BCent falling below Lake Travis at San Antonio, and Colleyville Heritage missing state finals. So I would agree with having Carroll above the three. It's a power ranking based on the end of the season, not early season results.

Speaking as a Carroll student, we definitely peaked at the end of the season (St. Louis for us). I won't bother making arguments about judge quality/bias or inaccurate placements, but nonetheless one or two early/mid season local contests doesn't establish a program as being unquestionably superior to another. That said, even though I agree with the rankings, it doesn't mean that a lower-ranked program didn't have a great season with their own successes.