Jump to content

Recommended Posts

we now know that all of the districts have put some form of restrictions on opening school and extra-curricular activities to include marching band until 9/7

we do not know what the UIL or BOA will do with this year. will there be football games? will it be a pep band? will they travel?

but there will be a season of some sort - be it limited, be it small, be it in early 2021, there will be a season of some sort and it will be a reflection of the determination of our kids and the programs that they love.

more to come but this will be the S.O.S. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

San Antonio Metro Health has delayed in-person instruction until September 8th. This means that no extracurriculars, including marching band, are allowed to have in-person practice. 

Honestly, hearing that the marching season is delayed hurts to hear but I believe that this will give band directors time to get to know any new members. It will also grant students the ability to focus on their musicianship as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, principalagent said:

UIL delaying the season. Marching shows can be learned starting 9/7. State Championships by Christmas.

You said it best over at HR....This is literally just them trying to cover their butts to legitimize football. Waiting a month isn't going to make the season anymore feasible.

DKR just announced plans for 50% capacity at UT football games this season, which is just plain ignorant at this point. 

I'm glad the marching community has been a bit more conscious of the current state of the country right now. There will be no UIL state marching contest this year. Period. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, LHSax said:

You said it best over at HR....This is literally just them trying to cover their butts to legitimize football. Waiting a month isn't going to make the season anymore feasible.

DKR just announced plans for 50% capacity at UT football games this season, which is just plain ignorant at this point. 

I'm glad the marching community has been a bit more conscious of the current state of the country right now. There will be no UIL state marching contest this year. Period. 

I disagree that it is ignorant.  College football is not going to pull the plug until it absolutely must.  There is too much at stake.  It's responsible of UT and other universities to plan for the largest crowds they can envision at some point in the season.  I guarantee you they are exploring and planning contingencies with smaller crowds as well.

It is not completely out of the question that a 50% crowd might be possible late in the season.  Sure, it seems unlikely, but six weeks ago things looked very different.  Who can accurately predict the future in this environment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Samuel Culper said:

I disagree that it is ignorant.  College football is not going to pull the plug until it absolutely must.  There is too much at stake.  It's responsible of UT and other universities to plan for the largest crowds they can envision at some point in the season.  I guarantee you they are exploring and planning contingencies with smaller crowds as well.

It is not completely out of the question that a 50% crowd might be possible late in the season.  Sure, it seems unlikely, but six weeks ago things looked very different.  Who can accurately predict the future in this environment?

Oh, college football is happening, I don't doubt that one bit. But putting fans in the stands, especially at an impossible percentage for social distancing,  is blindly optimistic. I wish it were about planning for "just in case," but I get a feeling it's not. If Texas were showing any positive signs of diminishing the impact of this thing, I would say they could flirt with the idea, but this once again seems like hoping this thing fades away without any real plan of action for helping that happen. And I don't completely blame UT for that (although I partially do cuz this is obviously all about money), Abbot's current guidelines do allow 50% stadium capacity, so I know UT is rolling with it...But Abbot's guidelines haven't worked out too well so far. If we truly care at all about public safety and the health of the young men playing a game, Play the game without fans, the beauty of college football is that we can all watch comfortably from our couch. 

But I digress....this is a marching band forum, and I'm glad marching bands across the state have made the right move before UIL had the balls to do so. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are we sure that bands are not gonna change their mind?  I mean, there are still programs and school districts that haven't made an announcement.  Lots of bands made these decisions based on what they assumed UIL would do. Why wouldn't some of these schools change their minds?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, XCTFG Mom said:

Are we sure that bands are not gonna change their mind?  I mean, there are still programs and school districts that haven't made an announcement.  Lots of bands made these decisions based on what they assumed UIL would do. Why wouldn't some of these schools change their minds?

Because it’s quite optimistic still that UIL will be able to pull this off. It’s honestly more responsible to cut it now than to keep stringing students along. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, principalagent said:

Because it’s quite optimistic still that UIL will be able to pull this off. It’s honestly more responsible to cut it now than to keep stringing students along. 

You are quite the fortune teller there. 

I can't imagine being a band director today telling your group of kids, "Hey we know more than the leadership in UIL, and as a result, we aren't going to have a show, even through they have given us the greenlight to do so."  And I see the other side as well, but the truth is that we have to deal with what we have in front of us right now, and not what might happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeez...this is making it seem like the Class of 2020 got out scot free.

When will this virus just go away?


**(And yes I understand why it’s still spreading so quickly...I’m just frustrated — frustrated for the HS band folks that have to go through this.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wait, UIL still thinks it's going to be able to hold marching contests this fall?! practice starting on September 7th?! did they say what projections they were using to determine that date? because, uhhh, the data i've seen suggest that that's probably not going to be wise. i mean, i guess you could argue that UIL is just being cautiously optimistic (optimistic for the sake of football, let's face it), but being cautiously optimistic in this case also means potentially getting directors and kids worked up and starting to invest resources into their marching season that will end up being wasted when the competitions are eventually canceled. either that, or UIL will just plow through with the "season" at the risk of people getting sick.

i'm just putting myself in a director's shoes. i certainly would not want to be responsible for a bunch of kids literally "banding" together and then possibly spreading a serious, fatal disease. i would feel absolutely horrible. so, my suggestion to directors would be to find ways to engage your kids online. learn your show music in your "Zoom sectionals" or whatever, and then try to share some sort of performance with friends and family members. better yet, since you can't focus on drill, how about learning some advanced dance movement or something, beyond the marching basics? like, hire a dance instructor to teach them more advanced skills? like, uh, maybe some private dance lessons to go along with private music lessons lol (i'm your prriiiiivate daaancer). that can probably be taught online, and it could actually help push the activity forward, considering all the movement stuff band kids do these days. but most of all, directors, give your seniors more ownership of the season during this difficult time. having your last marching season get canceled is awful, but seniors can still have a fulfilling season leading your band through a new type of season, which will help carry over essential skills to the following year. that would be something to be proud of. just my two cents.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Mash said:

Leander ISD just stated that their bands won't participate in UIL competitions this season.

Just found the post in a link in the Leander ISD update # 9.  Here is what was published:   

 

Note:   this is Leander ISD (LISD South).

Message from LISD Band Directors: July 21, 2020

The current pandemic has created a situation that makes it difficult for LISD bands to operate in the same manner to which we have become accustomed.

 All of us in LISD are committed primarily to the safety and wellness of our students above all other considerations. The need for social distancing in both rehearsal and performance settings, as well as the potential for reduced numbers of students allowed in any setting including transportation, has led us to make the following alterations to the participation of marching bands at HS football games:

•        LISD band directors will monitor the health and wellness of their students and follow the guidelines established by TEA and UIL.
•        LISD bands will produce a field show that, while displaying the level of musical and visual excellence for which they are noted, may be greatly reduced in length, demand, and other areas.
•        LISD bands will not take part in any competitive events, including UIL events.
•        The attendance and participation of bands at football games will be evaluated on a weekly basis. Decisions made regarding game participation will apply to all high school band programs, in consideration of the most current state guidelines on social distancing at the time, and in the interest of the health and safety of the students.

This decision is one that we believe will allow our students to have a positive and safe experience and will emphasize the core values of our band programs. We ask for your flexibility as we continue to adapt to our current reality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, LHSax said:

Not a fortune teller, but a realist, since PA, like me, doesn't have skin in the game that encourages false optimism.

What many bands appear to be doing, planning for fun non-competitive shows, giving students a taste of marching band and it's primary long term benefits, while still remaining flexible for the cloudy future, is very much the correct move. If things somehow go great the next few months, and bands want to put those fun shows out there for UIL region, go for it. But to jump back into competitive mode because UIL continues to ignore what every other state's marching organizations have realized, is overly wishful thinking.

A competitive marching season in Texas would be folly.  I'm getting tired of watching football coaches/parents talk about how the season needs to start because "sports is their identity...it's important to them". 

Ok....that's no different than band, choir or any other HS organization. 

The decision to pull the plug on this season showed leadership and wisdom from the directors.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, packwick said:

wait, UIL still thinks it's going to be able to hold marching contests this fall?! practice starting on September 7th?! did they say what projections they were using to determine that date? because, uhhh, the data i've seen suggest that that's probably not going to be wise. i mean, i guess you could argue that UIL is just being cautiously optimistic (optimistic for the sake of football, let's face it), but being cautiously optimistic in this case also means potentially getting directors and kids worked up and starting to invest resources into their marching season that will end up being wasted when the competitions are eventually canceled. either that, or UIL will just plow through with the "season" at the risk of people getting sick.

i'm just putting myself in a director's shoes. i certainly would not want to be responsible for a bunch of kids literally "banding" together and then possibly spreading a serious, fatal disease. i would feel absolutely horrible. so, my suggestion to directors would be to find ways to engage your kids online. learn your show music in your "Zoom sectionals" or whatever, and then try to share some sort of performance with friends and family members. better yet, since you can't focus on drill, how about learning some advanced dance movement or something, beyond the marching basics? like, hire a dance instructor to teach them more advanced skills? like, uh, maybe some private dance lessons to go along with private music lessons lol (i'm your prriiiiivate daaancer). that can probably be taught online, and it could actually help push the activity forward, considering all the movement stuff band kids do these days. but most of all, directors, give your seniors more ownership of the season during this difficult time. having your last marching season get canceled is awful, but seniors can still have a fulfilling season leading your band through a new type of season, which will help carry over essential skills to the following year. that would be something to be proud of. just my two cents.

 

I would say that this is their best case scenario....as everyone knows, the whole situation is changing weekly and sometimes daily.  This is the plan.....for now.  I suspect the plan will be adjusted depending on how things are progressing or declining.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am wondering who was advising UIL. I heard that the directors of Vista Ridge and Reagan were on the committee advising UIL on how they could proceed with a season. What this looks like to me is UIL listening to COACHES over Band directors. 

Round Rock ISD put out their guidelines for fine arts. They advise that kiddos can't even leave the district. So that leaves me to assume that the band isn't going to travel to away games outside of RRISD. 

Well, it's pretty much over, and I guess I can look forward to seeing my kid run cross country later in the year...IF THAT INDEED HAPPENS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So far, LISD (north) hasn't made any pronouncements regarding band. Denton county, while seeing growth in cases, hasn't been hit nearly as hard as those near Austin and Houston (but we know that can change if people don't follow guidelines). School will start August 19, with virtual and in-person options, both of which can include in-person band if selected. So we don't know what LISD will ultimately decide to do, but with Drinkwater as the director of fine arts, safety will be the word of the day. And it will also depend on whether or not we have any infection events at school--if we do, everything gets shut down, regardless.

All the uncertainty hurts my heart, though, as my youngest is a senior. I just ache for all the seniors across the US this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...