12 minutes ago, Cityscapes said:

From what I have heard, I have reason to believe marching season might not happen at all this year. It just dosent seem like the consensus is that the ends justify the means.

ūüė•

I'm watching Governor Abbott right now. He came out in a mask. That's the first I've seen him do so. 

I don't know what's gonna happen, but my kid has started looking for a job in case band doesn't happen in the fall.

Yep, a few weeks ago it looked like Texas may be the only place we may get some marching band - now it's looking very much like the opposite. Texas is getting hit HARD, and we're just a little over a month away from when marching camps are supposed to get started. The glimmer of optimism I had is fading.

26 minutes ago, Cityscapes said:

Just remember, it is only 2020. If marching season gets cancelled this fall, its only for one season. I firmly believe marching season will happen again in 2021. This isnt permanent.

Proposition to make 2021 shows 12-15 minutes long to make up for lost time.

58 minutes ago, AlsoIntoSpace said:

This isn't an original comment at this point, but with every passing day I feel more and more discouraged about the odds of getting to do band. It's really hard to think that my last performance may have been last year (Yay Class of 2021!)

If its any consolation, you certainly went out with a bang.

23 hours ago, AlsoIntoSpace said:

This isn't an original comment at this point, but with every passing day I feel more and more discouraged about the odds of getting to do band. It's really hard to think that my last performance may have been last year (Yay Class of 2021!)

As a parent of a 2021 graduate too, and it being my last child to experience band with, I am trying to keep hope for something this year!  

9 hours ago, IPlayDrumsAndStuff said:

Bands of America has released a statement on Facebook about an update regarding the 2020 season. They are still planning to have the season. But here's the thing...I'm not too sure how to feel about it. I understand everyone being eager about returning to the field this fall, especially the seniors who may not have their last season with their school. But we have to be realistic. Way too many people are still not talking Covid-19 as seriously as we need to. Especially with the rapid spike of cases in Texas. Do I think that they'll try something to keep everyone safe during competitions? I hope. I want to make it really clear that my heart is with everyone hurting that we may not get to have a season this fall. But at this point, BOA has got to be reasonable and responsible.

I think that BOA is being reasonable and responsible  - all they have stated is that they are planning for a season - not that there will be one. they are only planning. Will there be a season? will it start in October or later? they are just planning.

Most schools are working on a plan and a program - like BOA, they are still trying to decide what things will look like in 6-8 weeks. if it makes no sense to move forward.

There are many factors that will dictate the season, Schools, Districts, UIL and even the municipalities that will host these events.  is there a harm is planning? I don't see it

I agree, have to keep planning until it's clear a season will or won't be possible, but I hope Music for All (and UIL for that matter) makes a clear decision sooner rather than later...this still reads to me as this is the current plan, but we reserve the right to change it. And i completely understand, flexibility is great and necessary, but if they're teetering on the edge (and not releasing band lists for regionals makes me thing they are), make a hard choice in the next couple weeks rather than waiting till August, so that bands can start to adjust marching camps, schedules and shows accordingly. Unfortunately, in the case of Texas, that means making that decision in the middle of the worst (so far) of it, but that's the reality of where we're at right now.

I know this is wishful thinking, there's a million moving pieces, but i have to hope, because the uncertainty at this point is probably worse than just ripping the band aid off now.

We’re about 4 weeks from when marching camps should be starting - Let’s see where everyone’s optimism is at as of today. 

Here’s the current odds in my head (I compare to football cuz It’s all relative)

90% we get an NFL season

60% we get a (Full) college football season

40% we get Texas high school football season

15% competitive marching season

what does it all come down to? Sadly - $$$

Spring football/marching season does sounds pretty fun though

23 minutes ago, LHSax said:

We’re about 4 weeks from when marching camps should be starting - Let’s see where everyone’s optimism is at as of today. 

Here’s the current odds in my head (I compare to football cuz It’s all relative)

90% we get an NFL season

60% we get a (Full) college football season

40% we get Texas high school football season

15% competitive marching season

what does it all come down to? Sadly - $$$

Spring football/marching season does sounds pretty fun though

It is being discussed at the state level.

6 minutes ago, LeanderMomma said:

Would definitely cut out Texas participation in WGI unfortunately 

Yes, sadly true, but think about it - we’d get like 9 straight months of marching band action! Spring high school band - DCI - Fall high school marching band. Bright side? 

1 hour ago, LHSax said:

Yes, sadly true, but think about it - we’d get like 9 straight months of marching band action! Spring high school band - DCI - Fall high school marching band. Bright side? 

I don’t know!  The kids didn’t even get to finish WGI this past season. Do we take 2021 away from them too?

Some thoughts about potentially moving to the spring:

1. Most bands are already well into planning/preparing/practicing for fall 2020. At what point has enough been done that it's impractical to simply push it to fall 2021? Using my band as an example, we already have the music to most of our show and we've been practicing the music (at home) for over a month now. There isn't really any great way to just push it back a year. We obviously haven't learned any drill yet, but we've sent in our drill numbers and it's unlikely we would have the same numbers next year. We've already ordered show-specific uniform "stuff" that might not be able to be reused since we can't guarantee that we'll need the same number of each size since people grow and graduate. Financially, I'm guessing those last two items could result in a big loss if not used this year. I'd imagine many other programs would be in a similar situation as we are.
  2. Planning for indoor 2021 is likely only in the very early stages if anything, so if they made the decision now to not have an indoor season the loss wouldn't be nearly as great as if they cancelled a season only a few weeks out (like marching band might be). Again from a financial standpoint, I think it would save programs a good deal if they didn't have to invest in an indoor season. I'm sure many larger programs could manage, and I'm sure there's an extra cost to students who participate indoor that makes it financially viable in the first place, but who's to say that families would be able to afford that extra fee this year?
  3. Purely from a participation standpoint, marching band has more participants than indoor activities. Even if money wasn't a problem, it's probably more realistic to prioritize the part of a program that has well over 200 members rather than the part with significantly less. As far as I'm aware, while most schools have a winterguard (and some a JV winterguard), not as many have an indoor drumline and even fewer have indoor winds. Even if a school had all three, participation in the fall marching band exceeds the combined indoor groups. This isn't to say that I don't want to see an indoor season, but if I were a band director I would try to get as many students as possible to be able to participate in something. And yes, participation in the spring may still be less than it would be in the fall due to band students that normally play spring sports, but in this scenario football is also potentially moved, so it probably wouldn't only be bands that have logistical issues to address.
  4. If UIL decides to have any kind of marching band in the spring, that will be the priority for nearly every school, like it or not. That's just how it goes in Texas.

Sorry about this long post, but I'm trying to stay hopeful that we get something this year.

Yep, all good points. In the end, football is what drives everything though. There's no marching season without football. If UIL does make the decision to cancel the football season (Which will be HUGELY controversial, even if it is potentially the correct move), you better bet parents/boosters/coaches are gonna do everything in their power to make the season happen somehow if things looks better next spring. If there is a football season in the spring, and marching bands are expected to be there (likely), then why not make a marching season out of it? If they can fit a football season in, they can fit a a marching season in. I do think most students would prefer a marching season to a concert season (if a choice had to be made), and I can't pretend to speak for guard members, but I think for most people, marching season would be preferred to WGI/indoor ensembles (I know that's not true for everyone).

I of course have no inside information from UIL...I'm just speculating since they're gonna have to make a difficult choice VERY soon. 

2 hours ago, LHSax said:

Yep, all good points. In the end, football is what drives everything though. There's no marching season without football. If UIL does make the decision to cancel the football season (Which will be HUGELY controversial, even if it is potentially the correct move), you better bet parents/boosters/coaches are gonna do everything in their power to make the season happen somehow if things looks better next spring. If there is a football season in the spring, and marching bands are expected to be there (likely), then why not make a marching season out of it? If they can fit a football season in, they can fit a a marching season in. I do think most students would prefer a marching season to a concert season (if a choice had to be made), and I can't pretend to speak for guard members, but I think for most people, marching season would be preferred to WGI/indoor ensembles (I know that's not true for everyone).

I of course have no inside information from UIL...I'm just speculating since they're gonna have to make a difficult choice VERY soon. 

Yeah I completely agree that football will make the decisions, and what gives me hope is that, like you said, marching band follows football, and it'd be hard to justify not allowing bands while allowing football. It's something that I could see UIL doing, but then they'd have a lot of unhappy band parents, and probably cheer and drill teams too. While I'm not sure a football season guarantees a competitive marching season, UIL would probably try to have something. I can see a situation where they don't host a state contest for one reason or another, but do try to hold Area or at least Region, which potentially allows for local contests to be held too. Honestly, though, I'd take any kind of marching band at this point. Even only going to football games is a chance to be in the uniform and perform something.