I'm starting to worry about the 2020 marching season. Here in SA, it is looking likely that school will be closed the rest of the semester. Probably looks that way in a lot of places.

Clearly, this won't last forever, but I wonder what types of long term changes will come out of this and how it might affect marching band. Nothing that can't be overcome, but some sort of change anyway.

Hope everyone is healthy and taking the time off in stride. Here's hoping for some anti-viral for the fall, so we can enjoy some fun positive things from summer onward.

I think it's a little too early to call the season off, but with recent reports of UK officials thinking the crisis will last until 2021, I'm starting to think this is a plausible case. I can't see UIL cancelling the seasons given how... stubborn they tend to be, but BOA is pretty sensitive about this and will cancel accordingly.

Soapbox moment:

This pandemic is going to be absolutely devastating to the economy for various reasons:

• People being sick will overwhelm the hospital capacity to a point where even more people will die from something other than coronavirus. Hello, insurance companies and hospital bills.
  • People being sick away from the workplace means work that needs to happen at the workplace won't happen. Processing claims, manufacturing, everyday functions.... I welcome any suggestions at this point because it likely is affected by social distancing. That means money isn't made!
  • No disposable income spent onto prices and whatnot means no money circulating in the economy.
  • Furthermore, people not working means bills and debts can't be paid on time- again looping back to money not being made on all sides.
  • Basically, no one's getting paid.

The next few months are going to be awful this is not something that will be stamped out in the next two weeks with the current response of the government. This is going to be several months long. I hate it that it's this way, but that's the reality of the situation and we gotta deal with it. Social distancing works in stamping out this economic crisis by slowing the spread- it will buy time for scientists, researchers, scholars, etc. to figure out how to defeat this thing without blowing up the economy in its current state. Healthcare is not prepared for this ballooned effect at all, so we're unfortunately stuck with what healthcare can deal with: sending people in one-by-one at a low capacity. Imagine of bleeding out the air gradually instead of it blowing up in our faces by sending so many people sick with the coronavirus without a clear solution.

Please do your part in social distancing and protecting your peers and community. If you want a shot of keeping DCI and BOA alive, this is the correct thing to do. Cut down on meeting with friends, work from home, stay home, basically minimize physical social contact whenever possible. Coronavirus will likely not have an effect on those in the younger generation (i.e. <60), but please understand that you could be a carrier and pass this onto someone who can't fight this off. They will die. This is the #1 reason why all this social distancing is happening. Act out of consideration for your friends and loved ones. This is not a time to dawdle around and ignore or deny. The longer you put this off, the closer we get to cancelling everything for the year.

Stopping the spread of any disease requires R0 < 1. Social distancing does not accomplish this. It slows the rate of infections, but R0 remains > 1. That means the amount of time it takes to essentially stop the spread is extended. This is true for any disease and not specific to the current one. This is not a statement for/against the policy, but a statement of what it means to the infection rate. Even the facebook posts showing the infections spread out over a longer time period so the healthcare system isn't completely overwhelmed in a short period visualize this effect. Social distancing in and of itself will cause the fall season to be cancelled unless some other variable arrives to impact R0 in a good way.

On 3/18/2020 at 9:46 AM, TWHSParent said:

Stopping the spread of any disease requires R0 < 1. Social distancing does not accomplish this. It slows the rate of infections, but R0 remains > 1. That means the amount of time it takes to essentially stop the spread is extended. This is true for any disease and not specific to the current one. This is not a statement for/against the policy, but a statement of what it means to the infection rate. Even the facebook posts showing the infections spread out over a longer time period so the healthcare system isn't completely overwhelmed in a short period visualize this effect. Social distancing in and of itself will cause the fall season to be cancelled unless some other variable arrives to impact R0 in a good way.

The social distancing is a temporary measure to try to spread out the impact to the healthcare system, not stop the disease.  Social distancing will have to end or else we absolutely kill the economy.

The virus is now fact of life.  People will get it and recover every year.  People will also get it and die.  We will eventually have vaccines and some herd immunity.  

Life will go on.

2 hours ago, Danpod said:

Test.

Did you pass?  Did you study much?

Well...there goes that :(

What makes me even more sad was Crown was going to end out my four years of HS in the best way possible. Their ballad, as we learned yesterday, was going to be Chandelier by Sia. That was our ballad freshman year and we poured our hearts into that song. To see that my favorite corps was going to play it the year that I graduated was just perfect, and now I don't get to have it.  

3 hours ago, MadisonBandMan1 said:

Well...there goes that :(

What makes me even more sad was Crown was going to end out my four years of HS in the best way possible. Their ballad, as we learned yesterday, was going to be Chandelier by Sia. That was our ballad freshman year and we poured our hearts into that song. To see that my favorite corps was going to play it the year that I graduated was just perfect, and now I don't get to have it.  

I know your sad, and thats perfectly normal, but as a college senior who does not get his last wind ensemble concert as a college student, I know exactly how you feel. I also have experienced lots of disappointment much like what you are probably going through now, and I can confidently tell you that it will only get better from here :)

Aww thank you! Yeah I have a world ahead of me. I am super excited to head off to Nebraska for college next semester (if we even get to that point). I plan on marching and from what I see they are actually pretty darn serious about their marching band and have a really great program. They have a true band camp full of all-days and that excites me if we will get to experience it. I just can’t decide whether I want to audition on tenor trombone or bass trombone right now 😂

9 hours ago, MadisonBandMan1 said:

Aww thank you! Yeah I have a world ahead of me. I am super excited to head off to Nebraska for college next semester (if we even get to that point). I plan on marching and from what I see they are actually pretty darn serious about their marching band and have a really great program. They have a true band camp full of all-days and that excites me if we will get to experience it. I just can’t decide whether I want to audition on tenor trombone or bass trombone right now 😂

Well as a fellow trombone player who just had the opportunity to perform at TMEA, theres two big questions. Would u rather play low, powerful sustains at a triple F, or be able to have some hope that 10% of the time you get the melody. I know that sounds easy, but trust me, when you get the melody, you GET THE MELODY. Good luck my man!

That is kind of the biggest think that I’m torn about. I can play well across all marching band registers for the trombone, so I can’t decide whether I want the melody or to blast notes two octaves below the staff because it’s what I am good at. I’m leaning towards the bass trombone a lot right now because I. Have so much fun playing it and I know that that is my forte. I made the state solo and ensemble contest with an unaccompanied solo on it (this is supposed to be my first trip to SSEC). Uggghhh such hard decisions. 

I also just just got a very expensive bass trombone mouthpiece that is the best thing I have ever played on that is part of the decision. It’s a Griego 1.25 New York. 

787254A1-6370-4E11-AC9C-861B42C64F34.jpeg

I’m also lucky to be attending a university that has a top five program for my major and somehow there are only 39 people majoring in that there!!! Granted, the field is still pretty small, so it makes sense, but the other school I would have gone to had 350 people in their meteorology program. That is nearly ten times the size. 

The TEA is recommending some pretty elaborate changes to the fall schedule. If this happens, I don’t know if we will have fall sports OR band activities. 

Here is some of what they’re saying:

...the agency is recommending use of an intersessional calendar, featuring longer breaks dispersed throughout the year to provide flexibility. 

The calendar modifications may result in an earlier start date, long winter breaks, built-in remote learning time and a recommended six weeks of intersessional breaks. 
The breaks would be in addition to districts' regularly scheduled time off and would provide flexibility in the event of a COVID-19 resurgence. Included in the guidelines are a number of sample intersessional calendars allowing for COVID-19 interruptions and remediation opportunities. 
students. 

The modified school year could see an increase of up to 30 days, continuing into the summer in an effort to minimize seasonal learning loss. 

Along with intersessional calendars, districts also have the option to implement an instructional calendar with an additional summer learning period or to undergo a complete school year redesign. 

https://communityimpact.com/austin/lake-travis-westlake/houston/2020/05/11/texas-education-agency-says-2020-21-school-year-likely-to-be-disrupted-by-covid-19

3 hours ago, LeanderMomma said:

The TEA is recommending some pretty elaborate changes to the fall schedule. If this happens, I don’t know if we will have fall sports OR band activities. 

Here is some of what they’re saying:

...the agency is recommending use of an intersessional calendar, featuring longer breaks dispersed throughout the year to provide flexibility. 

The calendar modifications may result in an earlier start date, long winter breaks, built-in remote learning time and a recommended six weeks of intersessional breaks. 
The breaks would be in addition to districts' regularly scheduled time off and would provide flexibility in the event of a COVID-19 resurgence. Included in the guidelines are a number of sample intersessional calendars allowing for COVID-19 interruptions and remediation opportunities. 
students. 

The modified school year could see an increase of up to 30 days, continuing into the summer in an effort to minimize seasonal learning loss. 

Along with intersessional calendars, districts also have the option to implement an instructional calendar with an additional summer learning period or to undergo a complete school year redesign. 

https://communityimpact.com/austin/lake-travis-westlake/houston/2020/05/11/texas-education-agency-says-2020-21-school-year-likely-to-be-disrupted-by-covid-19

This is a bit jarring to read, but as I see more and more bands doing drum major, leadership, and show announcements, some as recent as today, leads me to believe band directors are still planning on having a fall season. Perhaps they know something we dont? I could very well be wrong, just trying to hope for the best!

I agree that is a jarring read.  I do find it to be oddly encouraging though.  Rather than just returning to normal and wishing everyone the best of luck, it seems to be a sensible reaction that will provide districts with as much flexibility as needed.  

That being said, it's really the UIL that holds the key to the marching season.  We haven't heard from them since April 17 

On 5/12/2020 at 9:52 AM, CharpieAg said:

UIL is being very quiet and not saying much, but they will fall in line with whatever TEA says. 

they are not sharing much with the public but they are quietly trying to figure out what the 2020-21 year will look like

per UIL today:

UIL is aware of Governor Abbott’s May 18 announcement and is actively working with appropriate state officials to allow schools to begin limited summer strength and conditioning and marching band activities on June 8, 2020. As soon as the details of that plan are finalized, UIL will release them to schools to allow time to plan and prepare for bringing students back to campus for these purposes.

1 hour ago, XCTFG Mom said:

Yeah..UIL had to say something.  They inadvertently sent something out to coaches today that got picked up by Dave Campbell. Now news is spreading all over the state.  YAY BAND!

I’m trying to figure out your name change...  🤔🤔🤔