Looks like UIL is trying to beef up 6A Area B to be a lock for 6 state spots and potentially get 7. while also opening another state spot by moving Prosper. Plano ISD moving over to C likely is to keep C at 5 state spots. Prosper being in Area C probably means that the top 4 will be locked as LISD and Prosper, and then everyone else dukes it out for the 5th spot.

Midlothian moves from Area C to F, which means they now have a harder Area and the already relatively light C now has a state spot open. F needs more bands though so that’s good.

Midlothian Heritage moves from 4A Area B to D, good switch for them, B is the hardest area and Mid Heritage has been improving fast recently.

Looks like UIL is trying to beef up 6A Area B to be a lock for 6 state spots and potentially get 7. while also opening another state spot by moving Prosper. Plano ISD moving over to C likely is to keep C at 5 state spots. Prosper being in Area C probably means that the top 4 will be locked as LISD and Prosper, and then everyone else dukes it out for the 5th spot.

Midlothian moves from Area C to F, which means they now have a harder Area and the already relatively light C now has a state spot open. F needs more bands though so that’s good.

Midlothian Heritage moves from 4A Area B to D, good switch for them, B is the hardest area and Mid Heritage has been improving fast recently.

im in area 4B and never recall them ever making finals so i rarely even remeber they exist good for heritage area b is really competitive.

im in area 4B and never recall them ever making finals so i rarely even remeber they exist good for heritage area b is really competitive.

They opened in 2014, they haven’t really had the chance to try much with a full 9th-12th band yet besides 2018, They looked really solid for 4A by Duncanville this year though. Midlothian has also been improving their program and I’m sure that’s gonna transfer to Heritage soon.

Also another interesting thing, TMEA changed the rules for how honor band works, which band be found here

All rules changes appear to be highlighted in red. The big ones is now area to state advancement for 2C, 3C, 5A, and 6A are now based off how many bands qualify for area. Each region now sends a max of 4 bands to area, with one band making state per 4 at area. Since obviously you don't need to qualify based off a rating, this means the number of bands advancing through honor band simply is based off how many we get entered at each region level. As well as a rule that says if there's more than 16 recording at the state level, there will be a prelims and finals round. 

I could be wrong about this though, some of these rules are kinda vague, like saying that for 1C and 1A-4A, each listening center (4 centers with 2 areas each) may advance a max of 8 bands between the 2 areas, which I would assume means the top 8 of the two areas go to state, effectively combing the areas? Not sure though, if someone could help clarify.

Realignments have been finalized, but how will this effect marching band? 

*affect

Not much, really.  The cutoffs announced in December are more consequential, determining what class a school is in.  Leander and Hendrickson moved from 6A down to 5A, for example.  The district alignments for athletics only impact the football schedule as far as marching band is concerned.  Travel on Friday has an impact on those Saturday morning call times!

• 6 months later...

Area B for 4A once again added a new band that was at state last year, which is Van Alstyne. Now I know this won't affect the results as much, but it definitely add's another band that will fight for a State spot this year. maybe we will see Farmersville, Community, Van Alstyne, Aubrey, Mabank, or Kaufman at state this year

On 1/25/2020 at 8:32 PM, cpb161 said:

They opened in 2014, they haven’t really had the chance to try much with a full 9th-12th band yet besides 2018, They looked really solid for 4A by Duncanville this year though. Midlothian has also been improving their program and I’m sure that’s gonna transfer to Heritage soon.

I also marched in Area B with Melissa, Heritage never made finals, they placed 21st in 2016 and 16th in 2018. Now I don't know how they did in 2014 since I wasn't marching yet, but maybe this will be a good year for them, but isn't Area D also a difficult area?