2020 Texas Bands Schedule

I also heard that CTJ might be going to the new Director’s Choice thing too. Any word on that?

Yes - CTJ currently has the Directors Choice Nationals planned for Nov 7th in the dome - they will likely perform 6 times in an 8 day span in the dome

will be interesting to see if this happens - the website currently only lists CTJ and Johnson (Buda) attending 

time will tell if it takes off

The Alamodome is a big, expensive stadium for a new circuit to rent.

agreed - wonder if it will happen - it appears that the earlier regional events compete with BOA 

San Antonio/DFW/Houston regional events all compete with BOA and the dome is not cheap - not to mention the labor pool needed for the dome or any event.

who is hosting these events and providing the labor needed to run these - the BOA SA event takes about 350 volunteers and hundreds of hours.

it will be interesting - not much info on who will attend and sponsors - time will tell if this gets off the ground.

I hope it works out, - always a great time in the dome and it would make a great week with BOA, UIL and this event

Yes - CTJ currently has the Directors Choice Nationals planned for Nov 7th in the dome - they will likely perform 6 times in an 8 day span in the dome

will be interesting to see if this happens - the website currently only lists CTJ and Johnson (Buda) attending

time will tell if it takes off

I believe Porter’s considering attending, but I’m now very out of the loop

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/27/2020 at 9:30 PM, BandFriendzz said:

So it is confirmed that Haltom will be attending a boa dfw and grand nationals this year . This will be a first for haltom in a long time I think like 2002 ? I’m not 100 percent sure but can’t wait to see what happens this season! Exciting

Gonna be very cool. In my opinion, and from what I have seen from them in recent years, they should be in finals at both, but it will be very interesting to see where they LAND in finals at both contests.

I’m pretty sure you have everything, but Porter’s planning on attending

- Friendswood Marching Contest (9/26)

- USBands Dekaney Showcase (10/3)

- BOA Houston Regional (10/3)

- Lone Star Preview (10/10)

- UIL Region Marching Contest (10/17)

- Waller Marching Festival (10/24)

- UIL 5A Area I Marching Contest (10/31)

- Director’s Choice Nationals (11/7)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, XCTFG Mom said:

They will win Waco

That’s the thing about Leander. We NEVER assume we have won. Too many times another great band comes from behind in semis to take over the lead. I can see several bands here with the ability to do just that. It’ll be fun trying, though!  ?

38 minutes ago, XCTFG Mom said:

They will win Waco

They are the favorite for sure, but it will be a more interesting race for 1st than we see at regionals like Midland and McAllen when CTJ attends. There are 2-3 bands I could see potentially pulling a major upset if the stars align.

1 hour ago, LeanderMomma said:

Leander has their schedule up. No TMC this year, sadly, but we are adding Waco. 

Sept. 26–BOA Austin

October 17–BOA Waco

October 30-31–BOA San Antonio 

Waco just got a lot more exciting! Maybe I'll finally get to see Leander live...

Interesting (but not surprising) to see them forgo 5A Area. I know some districts/schools would never let their bands miss a UIL event.

5 hours ago, AlsoIntoSpace said:

Waco just got a lot more exciting! Maybe I'll finally get to see Leander live...

Interesting (but not surprising) to see them forgo 5A Area. I know some districts/schools would never let their bands miss a UIL event.

Leander's UIL Region was one of the very few (less than five) that voted down Every Year Area. I think that sentiment was particularly strong and supported in their ISD and Region.

1 hour ago, principalagent said:

Leander's UIL Region was one of the very few (less than five) that voted down Every Year Area. I think that sentiment was particularly strong and supported in their ISD and Region.

Do you know the other Regions that voted against it? LISD's Region also has Lake Travis and Westlake, so they clearly have very strong music/marching programs. I'd be interested to see if the other Regions that voted against it were similar in having strong band programs (especially in BOA).

I'm a bit worried that come 2021 certain bands will have to miss SA because they're effectively forced to do UIL. Some bands are affected by that this year but it'll be more significant when it impacts the 6A schools and you potentially see only half your finalists return (I also have no idea if that would actually happen as I have no inside info). Then again, surely MFA/BOA is aware of that and the calendar could be adjusted.

I've added BOA Conroe to the list despite there being no confirmed bands as of yet. For those who don't know, here's the TL;DR:

On College Park's band calendar, they have the following contests listed:604850110_ScreenShot2020-05-27at12_17_53AM.thumb.png.9f776885b1993772015fd6df3dedb2b4.png

This appears to be MFA's response to BOA Houston always getting far over capacity. They've had a few ideas (such as Friday performances, simultaneous venues, etc.), but they seem to have chose the consecutive weekends contest route. While MFA has not officially announced it, I have confirmation from a student at College Park that this will be it's own BOA contest the same day as BOA Austin. 

While there are no confirmed participants, here are a few bands that will more than likely not switch from Katy due to contest scheduling: The Woodlands, College Park, Westwood, Westlake, Clear Brook, Clear Creek, Dawson, Friendswood, Pearland, and Porter.