Sept. 19 - McAllen
Sept. 26 - Austin
Oct. 3 - Midland and Houston
Oct. 10 - Dallas/Ft. Worth
Oct. 17 - Waco
Oct. 30 and 31 - San Antonio Super Regional
Nov. 12 through 14 - Grand National Championships

Full Schedule: https://marching.musicforall.org/schedule/

Looks like Vista Ridge will not be defending their Midland title.  It falls on the same day as the Vista Ridge Marching Festival.

And Waco is on the same day as UIL Region for a lot of bands.  Again.

September 19th
BOA McAllen @ Veterans Memorial Stadium
BOA Bowling Green (OH) @ Bowling Green State University
BOA Clarksville (TN) @ Austin Peay State University

September 26th
BOA Powder Springs (GA) @ McEachern H.S. (maybe)
BOA Austin @ Kelly Reeves Athletic Complex
BOA Dayton (OH) @ Welcome Stadium

October 3rd
BOA Cedar Falls (IA) @ University of Northern Iowa
BOA Midland @ Grande Communications Stadium
BOA Houston @ Legacy Stadium – Katy ISD
BOA Obetz (OH) @ Fortress 

October 10th
BOA College Park (MD) @ University of Maryland (maybe)
BOA DFW @ Pennington Field (I guess they aren't moving this one any time soon??)
BOA Johnson City (TN) @ East Tennessee State University
BOA Arizona @ ???? 

October 16-17
SUPER REGIONAL – St. Louis, MO @ The Dome at America’s Center
BOA Virginia @ ????
BOA Waco @ Baylor University

October 23-24
SUPER REGIONAL – Indianapolis, IN @ Lucas Oil Stadium
BOA Jacksonville (AL) @ Jacksonville State University
BOA Orlando @ Camping World Stadium

October 30-31
SUPER REGIONAL – San Antonio, TX @ The Alamodome
BOA St. George (UT) @ Dixie State University

November 7
BOA Southern California @ ????

November 12-14
Grand National Championships – Indianapolis, IN @ Lucas Oil Stadium

I sure hope it ain't mandatory to go to Area on an off-state year!

It is not mandatory to go to any UIL event unless the school district enforces it.

Personally, I fully expect to see Leander and Cedar Park, as well as perhaps Rouse at BOA SA instead of Area, LISD would more than likely be supportive of it, and those bands all have a shot at winning awards or making finals. Pretty much any 5A that has little to no shot at making finals or winning any class awards at SA will more than likely attend Area regardless of whether their district will make them or not. The only bands I could see this affecting that may wanna do SA and regularly does well is Wakeland, since Frisco ISD is very UIL focused and will more than likely want Wakeland to attend Area. Not sure about the Pville schools with Hendrickson and Weiss, I'd imagine they'd both wanna do SA, but I have no clue what their district would want. Hopefully people from the 5A programs in question can confirm here on txbands what their school is going to do.

All in all, I doubt the conflict is going to really be a big deal this year, it's next year with 6A that we all have to worry about. 

So what do we think about Texas bands traveling out of state this year? I know there's usually a handful that go to St. Louis or even the Indy Super Regional, but I'm not sure what that'll look like with Area or certain Regions. Obviously Grand Nats is a separate topic with its date being well into November.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but the only change I see this year is effectively switching the dates for Midland and D/FW. My guess is that since Houston and Midland are on opposite sides of the state, BOA put them on the same weekend because it's less likely that a band would attend both of those. Essentially, a D/FW band could possibly attend both D/FW and Houston or Midland, but a Houston band most likely wouldn't travel all the way to Midland. This is all assuming, of course, that there's a strategy here, but there's also just a good chance that one of the venues had a scheduling conflict.

Personally, I have a feeling that 2020 will be something special, but maybe that's just me getting hyped about my senior year. Anyways, it'll be interesting to see who ends up going where.

• 1 month later...

September 19th

BOA McAllen @ Veterans Memorial Stadium

BOA Bowling Green (OH) @ Bowling Green State University

BOA Clarksville (TN) @ Austin Peay State University

September 26th

BOA Powder Springs (GA) @ McEachern H.S. (maybe)

BOA Austin @ Kelly Reeves Athletic Complex

BOA Dayton (OH) @ Welcome Stadium

October 3rd

BOA Cedar Falls (IA) @ University of Northern Iowa

BOA Midland @ Grande Communications Stadium

BOA Houston @ Legacy Stadium – Katy ISD

BOA Obetz (OH) @ Fortress 

October 10th

BOA College Park (MD) @ University of Maryland (maybe)

BOA DFW @ Pennington Field (I guess they aren't moving this one any time soon??)

BOA Johnson City (TN) @ East Tennessee State University

BOA Arizona @ ???? 

October 16-17

SUPER REGIONAL – St. Louis, MO @ The Dome at America’s Center

BOA Virginia @ ????

BOA Waco @ Baylor University

October 23-24

SUPER REGIONAL – Indianapolis, IN @ Lucas Oil Stadium

BOA Jacksonville (AL) @ Jacksonville State University

BOA Orlando @ Camping World Stadium

October 30-31

SUPER REGIONAL – San Antonio, TX @ The Alamodome

BOA St. George (UT) @ Dixie State University

November 7

BOA Southern California @ ????

November 12-14

Grand National Championships – Indianapolis, IN @ Lucas Oil Stadium

Oh look, I already made one.  Okay, I am going to do something useful now.  :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

And the current news from the Hornrank forum is that regionals will have 12 finalists, up from 10 (to be publicly announced tomorrow, 2/27). Supers and Grand Nationals will continue to have 14 and 12 respectively.

I've got mixed feelings about this. Our band has missed finals but still been in the top 12 at a regional for each of the past two years (12th at Austin in 2018 and again at D/FW in 2019). On one hand we would've been thrilled to be in finals, but on the other hand, I felt like this upcoming year could've been the year we broke into that top 10. So while making finals still would still be exciting, I wouldn't want to make finals solely because they advance more bands. It would still be an accomplishment of course, but I'm not sure it would have the same sense of achievement. But then again, there's certainly plenty of bands that missed finals that I think a lot of people thought should've been in finals (most notably, Round Rock missing finals in Austin this year).

Regardless, it'll be interesting to see how this shakes things up. The only I've got question is how local BOA Regional-esque competitions will react. For example, would the HEB Marching Contest and Texas Marching Classic expand to 12 finalists too, or would they stay at 10?

I've got mixed feelings about this. Our band has missed finals but still been in the top 12 at a regional for each of the past two years (12th at Austin in 2018 and again at D/FW in 2019). On one hand we would've been thrilled to be in finals, but on the other hand, I felt like this upcoming year could've been the year we broke into that top 10. So while making finals still would still be exciting, I wouldn't want to make finals solely because they advance more bands. It would still be an accomplishment of course, but I'm not sure it would have the same sense of achievement. But then again, there's certainly plenty of bands that missed finals that I think a lot of people thought should've been in finals (most notably, Round Rock missing finals in Austin this year).

Regardless, it'll be interesting to see how this shakes things up. The only I've got question is how local BOA Regional-esque competitions will react. For example, would the HEB Marching Contest and Texas Marching Classic expand to 12 finalists too, or would they stay at 10?

Your question is an interesting one - another contest is the one The Woodlands hosts (Lone Star Preview), which is BOA style rules to the core (including BOA judging sheets). As the ripples of this change expand, I'll probably reach out to a couple people to see if there is going to be a change to account for a 12 band finals per the updated BOA rules.

Your question is an interesting one - another contest is the one The Woodlands hosts (Lone Star Preview), which is BOA style rules to the core (including BOA judging sheets). As the ripples of this change expand, I'll probably reach out to a couple people to see if there is going to be a change to account for a 12 band finals per the updated BOA rules.

If a given contest only charges one admission - not separate admissions for Prelims and Finals - there would be little reason to expand the Finals field.  Just my $.02.

I really don't think enough bands participate in the LSP for it to have a 12 band finals. I'd say it averages around 18 bands per year so to allow 2/3 of that into finals makes it more like an exclusion rather than a recognition.

And don't they have another sheet for color guard? They have a color guard caption and everything

I really don't think enough bands participate in the LSP for it to have a 12 band finals. I'd say it averages around 18 bands per year so to allow 2/3 of that into finals makes it more like an exclusion rather than a recognition.

And don't they have another sheet for color guard? They have a color guard caption and everything

They have color guard, percussion, and a general audio commentary judge. Those are additional items and not incorporated into the placements. The music (individual and ensemble), visual (individual and ensemble), and GE (2 music/1 visual) judges sheets are the BOA sheets and those are the only scores that count for placements.

Forgot to comment on the attendees - it really depends. I've seen it with 20+. 2 years ago it was 14 I believe, and we invited all 14 to perform in finals. Last year was 18 or 19. We'll see about scheduling vs region contests for 6A in the Houston area.

So what do we think about Texas bands traveling out of state this year? I know there's usually a handful that go to St. Louis or even the Indy Super Regional, but I'm not sure what that'll look like with Area or certain Regions. Obviously Grand Nats is a separate topic with its date being well into November.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but the only change I see this year is effectively switching the dates for Midland and D/FW. My guess is that since Houston and Midland are on opposite sides of the state, BOA put them on the same weekend because it's less likely that a band would attend both of those. Essentially, a D/FW band could possibly attend both D/FW and Houston or Midland, but a Houston band most likely wouldn't travel all the way to Midland. This is all assuming, of course, that there's a strategy here, but there's also just a good chance that one of the venues had a scheduling conflict.

Personally, I have a feeling that 2020 will be something special, but maybe that's just me getting hyped about my senior year. Anyways, it'll be interesting to see who ends up going where.

From Hendrickson we can guarantee that we are traveling to BOA St Louis this year to compete