2020 WGI and TCGC

I'm always interested in learning how the logistics work with different schools.

Mccullough jr high has a math teacher Ms Danney that teaches the color guard class. I believe she did dance through Highschool- so she choreographs and teaches the color guard, and the TWHS color guard director- Ms Robins- comes in and works with the class as well and teaches the flag and rifle skills. The first year Ms Danney was the advisor for the color guard extracurricular club- her second year they were able to get it approved to have a class. They have a former TWHS color guard member that comes in and helps work with them during their after school rehearsal time- she just donates her time- but has picked up some private lessons from being involved helping at the jr high. I believe this year she was “given” the Jv team to work with. The TWHS color guard director is paid by the band booster club- so isn’t a school employee- I’m not sure if she is paid something from the color guard fee’s they have for the jr high- or if she works with them just to further the skills of her incoming Highschool kids.

Being one of Texas very few World Class guards, I can definitely see how it would benefit TWHS to pour resources into the feeder middle school. I would be curious to hear how Bowie, Marcus and CTJ build talent. (I’m forgetting one world class group I’m sure).

my daughter did guard at CTJ - she was introduced at the end of 8th grade and jumped in as a freshmen - there are no middle schools that I am aware of in the district that offer any intro to guard in middle school 

A couple of things I'd like to bring up before the next weekend of guard competitions.

• LeanderMomma..it was awesome to see you again!
  • Westwood got a 1.75 time point deduction.  So they would have medalled without it :(
  • Please tell your friends and family to DOUBLE CHECK THEIR SCHOOLS PERFORMANCE TIMES WITH WHAT IS ON THE WEBSITE. This is very much true for the middle school guard performances.  We had so many disappointed parents show up 30-40 minutes late because they listened to their color guard instructors who were flat out wrong.   TCGC runs a super tight..on time ship. They are never late.

It was a fun event.  So glad some of y'all could make it!

There definitely doesn’t seem to be much interest in starting a middle school program in this area.

I think there is interest in starting middle school programs, however the cost is high and many schools do not have the funds that the more affluent schools have. I live in a District where 59% of our students are on 3 meals a day provided by the school system.  The fine arts department two years ago asked if Guard was worth more to the Music programs than Middle School Orchestras. The Orchestras won hands down. We now have 4 middle school orchestras (out of 9 Middle schools and one 50 piece HS Orchestra).  The cost of start ups were similar in that they would have to hire certified teachers for the Teaching Guard like new orchestra directors(we have two who split up the 4 Middle Schools among themselves).    One other thought I grew up in CA where Junior High and MIddle School Bands march in competition Parade Contests. They did this when I was growing up in the 60's and they still have numerous street marching contests. If the Band needs flags then it is easier to get a Guard Started. I know of very, very few middle schools in Texas that do any marching. There is the reason why there is not much interest. 

I think there is interest in starting middle school programs, however the cost is high and many schools do not have the funds that the more affluent schools have. I live in a District where 59% of our students are on 3 meals a day provided by the school system. The fine arts department two years ago asked if Guard was worth more to the Music programs than Middle School Orchestras. The Orchestras won hands down. We now have 4 middle school orchestras (out of 9 Middle schools and one 50 piece HS Orchestra). The cost of start ups were similar in that they would have to hire certified teachers for the Teaching Guard like new orchestra directors(we have two who split up the 4 Middle Schools among themselves). One other thought I grew up in CA where Junior High and MIddle School Bands march in competition Parade Contests. They did this when I was growing up in the 60's and they still have numerous street marching contests. If the Band needs flags then it is easier to get a Guard Started. I know of very, very few middle schools in Texas that do any marching. There is the reason why there is not much interest.

Could be that the interest is there, especially in the Austin area, but there just isn’t the budget for a staff person to run the program nor is the school system on board (YET!) with adding it as a class in middle school. That’s where we really need to get to work. Convincing the middle schools of the need. Or finding volunteers who would run the program after school as an extracurricular activity. Perhaps we could start an all around LISD group at Leander HS after school. (Only partially joking). We could enter the kids as an independent group in competition and when they went on to their LISD high school, EVERYONE will benefit.

Ok fine, I’ll run it. (Hey, don’t LOL too much people. I have both guard AND dance background

Here's the schedule for WGI San Antonio at Canyon HS (in New Braunfels) this weekend.  Several groups are crossed out but I don't see any changes to the schedule as of now.  Their names are crossed out and highlighted in red, so I'm assuming they have pulled out of the competition.  Unfortunately one of those groups was Cedar Park HS which is very disappointing!!

Scholastic Regional A:
      Lehman HS JV     09:30 AM (dropped out)
      Earl Warren HS JV     09:37 AM
      Ronald Reagan HS B    09:44 AM
      Southwest HS     09:51 AM
      McCollum HS     09:58 AM
      Westlake HS (LA)     10:05 AM
      Smithson Valley HS     10:12 AM

Independent Regional A:
      Clements HS JV         10:19 AM

Scholastic A:
   Round 1:
      Lee HS         10:40 AM
      William Taft HS     10:48 AM
      New Braunfels HS     10:56 AM
      Pioneer HS         11:04 AM
      Winston Churchill HS      11:12 AM
      Hays HS         11:20 AM (dropped out)
      Midlothian HS     11:28 AM
      Westlake HS (TX)     11:36 AM
      Cedar Park HS     11:44 AM (sadly, dropped out)
      Cedar Ridge HS     11:52 AM
      Lampasas HS     12:00 PM

Round 2:
      San Marcos HS     01:00 PM
      Veterans Memorial HS    01:08 PM
      Heights HS         01:16 PM
      Smithson Valley HS     01:24 PM
      Vista Ridge HS     01:32 PM
      Pflugerville HS     01:40 PM
      Ronald Reagan HS A     01:48 PM
      Melissa HS         01:56 PM
      Edinburg North HS     02:04 PM
      Westwood HS     02:12 PM

Round 3:
      Canyon HS        02:35 PM
      Lehman HS         02:43 PM (dropped out)
      Friendswood HS     02:51 PM
      Robert Vela HS     02:59 PM
      John B. Connally HS     03:07 PM
      Akins HS         03:15 PM
      James Madison HS     03:23 PM
      Clements HS         03:31 PM
      Georgetown HS     03:39 PM
      Edinburg HS         03:47 PM

Scholastic Open:
      Hendrickson HS     04:10 PM
      McNeil HS         04:19 PM
      Ronald Reagan HS     04:28 PM
      Earl Warren HS     04:37 PM
      Medina Valley HS     04:46 PM
      Leander HS         04:55 PM

Independent Open:
      ORIGINS         05:04 PM

Scholastic World:
      Claudia Taylor Johnson HS    05:16 PM

Scholastic Regional A is taking 3 groups into finals and begins at 6:30 PM.

Scholastic A is taking 16 groups into finals and begins at 7:05 PM.

Scholastic Open is taking all 6 groups into finals and starts at 9:30 PM.

CTJ will be the only World competitor and their finals run will be at 10:36 PM.  

Long day, but it's going to be a good one!  My plan is to arrive just before Scholastic Open begins (in prelims performance).  

Hope to see some more of you guys there again this Saturday!!

Could be that the interest is there, especially in the Austin area, but there just isn’t the budget for a staff person to run the program nor is the school system on board (YET!) with adding it as a class in middle school. That’s where we really need to get to work. Convincing the middle schools of the need. Or finding volunteers who would run the program after school as an extracurricular activity. Perhaps we could start an all around LISD group at Leander HS after school. (Only partially joking). We could enter the kids as an independent group in competition and when they went on to their LISD high school, EVERYONE will benefit.

Ok fine, I’ll run it. (Hey, don’t LOL too much people. I have both guard AND dance background )

I think the interest is there - just not the funding. I don't think that is would require them to compete but if there was at least a process for an after school extra curricular program that would allow the 7th and/or 8th graders to get an introduction to the sport it would help build the students that have some sort of knowledge prior to stepping into a June class and touching a flag for the first time - this may be my new project for 2020

I noticed on this Saturday's TCGC competition in Georgetown the schedule shows CTJ as "Open Class."  Last week they were still World Class in WGI.  I'm just curious if they will be Open Class from here on out at all competitions, or if they have only changed classes in TCGC.  I do think they need to be an Open Class guard.  No offense to them AT ALL, because I love them, but I don't think they are at the level of a World Class guard at this point in time.  No shame in that!  I think Open Class is a GREAT class to be in.  ;)  

Here's the TCGC schedule for tomorrow (Feb 8) at Georgetown HS.  Cost is $10 cash at the door.

Cadet:
Lake Travis MS  9:00 AM
Westwood Cadet  9:06 AM
Cedar Park MS  9:12 AM

Novice:
Elgin HS  9:28 AM
Glenn High School JV  9:42 AM
Northbrook HS (Guest)  9:49 AM
Lockhart HS JV  9:56 AM
Llano HS  10:03 AM
Axtell Winter Guard  10:10 AM
Temple Winter Guard  10:17 AM
O'Connor HS JV  10:24 AM

Scholastic Regional A:
Round Rock HS JV  10:45 AM
Bastrop HS  10:52 AM
Anderson HS  10:59 AM
Austin HS  11:06 AM
John Paul Stevens HS JV  11:13 AM
Lehman HS JV  11:20 AM
Cedar Ridge HS JV  11:27 AM
Navarro Early College High School Winterguard  11:48 AM
Stony Point High School Color Guard  11:55 AM
Palmview HS Performance Ensemble  12:02 PM
East View HS  12:09 PM
Taylor High School Winterguard  12:16 PM
Georgetown JV  12:23 PM

Scholastic JV:
Hendrickson HS JV  1:50 PM
Canyon HS JV  1:57 PM
Pflugerville JV  2:04 PM
Leander HS JV  2:11 PM
Westwood HS JV  2:18 PM
Vista Ridge High School JV  2:25 PM
Cedar Park JV  2:32 PM

Scholastic AA:
San Marcos HS  2:53 PM
Shoemaker HS  3:00 PM
Johnson HS  3:07 PM
Marble Falls High School Colorguard  3:14 PM
LBJ HS  3:21 PM

Scholastic A:
Round Rock HS  3:42 PM
MacArthur HS San Antonio  3:50 PM
William Brennan HS  3:58 PM
College Station HS  4:06 PM
Harker Heights HS  4:14 PM
O'Connor High School Winterguard  4:22 PM
Lockhart HS  4:30 PM
Akins HS  4:38 PM
John Paul Stevens HS  4:46 PM
Copperas Cove HS  4:54 PM

Scholastic National A:
Lake Travis HS  6:27 PM
Canyon High School  6:35 PM
Lehman HS  6:43 PM
Winston Churchill HS  6:51 PM
Georgetown HS Varsity  6:59 PM
Vista Ridge HS  7:07 PM

Independent A:
Glenn HS  7:15 PM

Scholastic Open:
Hendrickson HS  7:37 PM
Claudia Taylor Johnson HS  7:46 PM

Scholastic World:
Dripping Springs HS  8:00 PM

Independent World:
Invictus  8:15 PM

I noticed on this Saturday's TCGC competition in Georgetown the schedule shows CTJ as "Open Class." Last week they were still World Class in WGI. I'm just curious if they will be Open Class from here on out at all competitions, or if they have only changed classes in TCGC. I do think they need to be an Open Class guard. No offense to them AT ALL, because I love them, but I don't think they are at the level of a World Class guard at this point in time. No shame in that! I think Open Class is a GREAT class to be in. ;)

Yes, they were demoted (perhaps by director decision, perhaps by WGI) overall.