I am currently in my 9th grade year and for the last three years of me being in band it has been all that I love. Recently with my new band directors and having to be in marching band, I have lost the love for my passion. I play the saxophone and I never want to quit playing, I am quite talented for my age and have made first chair in my region multiple times. I can not stand one of my new band directors and have decided to quit at the end of the year. If I do quit is it still possible for me to compete in region jazz, or regular region/ are there any loop holes i can exploit so I can continue to compete. My school does not offer a jazz band so I would be completely dissociated with the band program. 

Please help me if you know anything, this has been a very emotional and a very difficult time for me. And I love two of my band directors, but the marching director has made my first semester of high school completely unbearable. 

Thank you

Oh no!!  This is such sad news!!  I do not know the rules to correctly answer your question.  I can tell you that marching season is the toughest of the two semesters, especially for a 9th grader, so you have made it through the toughest part.  If it is not too late, I hope you can reconsider.  My three kids have loved band (two played saxophone) so your story really hit home to me.  Have you tried to talk to the director and work out the concerns?  It is always so sad when I hear people that leave the band program.  Most end up regretting it later.  I hope you find a solution that works for you.

My daughter wanted to quit after her Freshman year as well (she even made her Sophomore schedule without including band), but that summer she decided to give it one more shot, and she never looked back after that.

I remember hearing about the FloMo trumpet soloist from last year who hated marching band and up to that point had only done concert season. They evidently talked him into marching last year so he could do his awesome trumpet thing. So evidently it’s possible to NOT do marching season? Not 100% sure.

This also hits me close to home. I am a class of 2019 graduate who played the Alto Sax so I understand what you are going through, but please if you can, consider not quitting. You are only at the beginning of your high school band career. If you quit now, you are going to miss out on learning new things about yourself and life lessons. The moments and experiences I got in my 4 years will last forever. I didn't get along with one of my directors but I sat down with them and worked things out and by the time I graduated, they were one of my favorite directors! Please think about it, Band is not just playing an instrument and marching, its the experiences you will get with all of your band peers and just having fun. there is sooo much more than what other people see of it. Marching band is tough, but the finalized piece of what your band worked on for months really does pay off, and the achievement is amazing! It does not matter if your band goes to nationals or just goes to the Region contest every year. All band members are one big family! We understand what all of us goes through but we all share one thing in common: love and passion for band/instrument (hopefully). I need to wrap this up, just think about it please, you are literally just now digging your way into your 4 years of high school band, don't stop digging! Continue digging up experiences as you make your way down to the bottom where you will find the biggest treasure of all... one big band family! and of course graduating!!!!! ok I'm done with this paragraph

I'm afraid of the regrets you will have if you decide to move on (I don't like the word "quit").  You have friends in band who support and love you...that would be a big hole in your life.

If things are really bad and can't be worked out, is there another, nearby school with open enrollment?  I would definitely advise speaking directly with your parents first and then with the director (with your parents) but open enrollment could be a worst-case scenario option.

• 3 months later...

i know this is late but what did you decide  ( if anything yet)  ? some directors have a different way of teaching or treating people  and it doesnt work for everyone. i would hope that if the director knew how he was making you feel and what he was doing to make you feel this way then maybe he would change his approach somewhat.  alot of times a new director will come in and be very abrasive because they feel that they have to command the respect right from the start. im not saying that is what  is happening here but  it could be.. i would encourage you to give it another shot and do not let someone  take something away from you that love doing just because you dont like them.

• 3 months later...

b) STUDENT ELIGIBILITY. Eligibility regulations as outlined in Constitution Subchapter M and Contest Rules Subchapter D shall apply to UIL music competitions and events.

The superintendent or a designee shall certify the eligibility of participants at the time of their entry into the event. Refer to Section 1103(b).

(1) Limited Competition. No student may perform with more than one ensemble in each organization event code. Refer to Section 1110. Exception: An instrumental student may participate with more than one ensemble in each organization event code, provided the student is performing on a different instrument in each ensemble. Refer to the UIL website for acceptable definitions of different instruments.

(2) Grade Limits. No student in grades 6 and below may participate in UIL music competitions or events. Exception: Sixth grade students are eligible to participate in UIL concert and sight-reading evaluation under the following provisions.

(A) Orchestra. The student shall be enrolled in the corresponding music class of the ensemble that is participating in concert and sight-reading.

(B) Band and Choir. The student shall be enrolled in the corresponding music class of the ensemble that is participating in concert and sight-reading and the band or choir shall be comprised of a majority of 7th grade students or above.

(3) Member of Organization. For the purpose of a UIL music competition or evaluation, a student need not be enrolled in the corresponding music course, provided that all other student eligibility requirements are met. Exception: Section 1102(b)(2)(A&B).

Section 1102: GENERAL REGULATIONS

(a) SCHOOL ELIGIBILITY. Schools shall participate in UIL music competition and events based on  assignment to conferences in even numbered years. Refer to Section 1102(h).

(1) New Schools. New UIL-member schools and/or UIL-member schools not having competed during the preceding year and intending to enter music contests may become eligible by notifying their Region Executive Secretary in writing prior to September 1.

(2) New Middle Schools and Junior High Schools. New middle schools and junior high schools (whose corresponding high schools are members of the UIL) not having competed during the preceding year and intending to enter music contests and events may become eligible by notifying their Region Executive Secretary in writing prior to October 1.

(3) Schools that ‘Opt Up”. Schools that ‘opt up’ a conference (participate in a higher conference than their enrollment qualifies) for reclassification and realignment purposes have the option to participate in music competitions and events in the conference in which their actual enrollment would place them.

(b) STUDENT ELIGIBILITY. Eligibility regulations as outlined in Constitution Subchapter M and Contest Rules Subchapter D shall apply to UIL music competitions and events. The superintendent or a designee 
shall certify the eligibility of participants at the time of their entry into the event. Refer to Section 1103(b).

(1) Limited Competition. No student may perform with more than one ensemble in each organization event code. Refer to Section 1110. Exception: An instrumental student may participate with more than one ensemble in each organization event code, provided the student is performing on a different instrument in each ensemble. Refer to the UIL website for acceptable definitions of different instruments.

(2) Grade Limits. No student in grades 6 and below may participate in UIL music competitions or events. Exception: Sixth grade students are eligible to participate in UIL concert and sight-reading evaluation under the following provisions.

(A) Orchestra. The student shall be enrolled in the corresponding music class of the ensemble that is participating in concert and sight-reading.

(B) Band and Choir. The student shall be enrolled in the corresponding music class of the ensemble that is participating in concert and sight-reading and the band or choir shall be comprised of a majority of 7th grade students or above.

(3) Member of Organization. For the purpose of a UIL music competition or evaluation, a student need not be enrolled in the corresponding music course, provided that all other student eligibility requirements are met. Exception: Section 1102(b)(2)(A&B).

(4) Forfeiture. In the event an ineligible student participates in any music competition or event, knowingly or unknowingly, the minimum penalty shall be forfeiture of the ratings and awards.

Section 1103

(a)   PROCEDURE. All entries, including deadline policies, shall be prepared and submitted in compliance with the UIL Constitution and Contest Rules and procedures established by the Region Executive Committee.

(b) ORGANIZATION ROSTER FORM NO. 1. A copy of the Organization Roster Form No. 1 certified by the school district administration listing in alphabetical order all students eligible at the time of the event shall be on file with the Region Executive Secretary (or designee) prior to the commencement of each organization’s performance.

(c) ENTRY FEE: Each organization entering a music region event is required to pay an entry fee as established by the Region Executive Committee. In addition, each organization in concert and sight-reading and marching band shall pay a state fee as determined by the Legislative Council. State fees will be forwarded to the UIL Office by the Region Executive Committee.

So in real world terminology. Yes. You can compete in Solo and Ensemble and Region Concert or Orchestra competition. You cannot compete in any ensemble in which you are not a member of the class….per se. The most important thing is that you need your director to put you on the eligibility list and the superintendent needs to sign and they must present at UIL competitions. Usually, they use one for Marching, Solo and Ensemble and UIL Region, Area And State Band and other Music competitions such as orchestra and jazz. The school must pay for your entry. If you have a strong parent base, you might be able to overcome any obstacles put forth by the band director. Other than that, you need the band director to be on your side and to help you out. If you burn that bridge, then it would be hard to compete. Unless, you have outside adults, such as parents, who will push the director, if not the administration to allow you to perform. Again………..

1102b = sec . A,B. Your superintendent needs to sign off on your entry and you must appear on the roster and have entry fees paid by the school district.

Section 3. You have to be a member of the ensemble and class unless you are performing solo. Section 4. you forfeit ratings if you cheat.

So for Region, as long as the director has the right form with your name on the roster, along with the superintendents approval, and they pay the entry fees, then you are totally eligible to enter Region without having to march in the band. You just have to be willing to Push the Facts.