To make things even more messy for next year, a new local circuit is starting up next year. They’ll use the new UIL sheets and they have a show in the Alamodome on the 7th...

http://info.directorschoice.travel/marching-contest

Yikes, hopefully Texas doesn’t become overly filled with circuits like some states such as California. Thought UIL and BOA have such a grasp on Texas as a whole that I don’t think any other circuit could ever do all that well here anyway, as mentioned earlier every year Area probably already hurt USBands hardcore, and it wouldn’t surprise me to see more BOA regionals in Texas soon either.

I completely disagree with this sentiment that adding a semi finals to SA is somehow playing favorites,or that you would HAVE to add it to the other supers. The other super regionals don't even come close to the size of SA. It's a quality of life improvement for a regional that's grown past what boa and mfa probably expected. It's not about prestige.

Well in terms of size, the Indy super was just as big as San Antonio, each maxing out at 84 bands. St. Louis wasn’t too far behind at 69 bands. I agree that the practicality of instituting a semis round shouldn’t necessarily have anything to do with prestige, but I think the reasons that MFA will not pull the trigger on it do have to do with the prestige of grand nats, among other concerns like cost and the ability of programs to miss class, etc

Well in terms of size, the Indy super was just as big as San Antonio, each maxing out at 84 bands. St. Louis wasn’t too far behind at 69 bands. I agree that the practicality of instituting a semis round shouldn’t necessarily have anything to do with prestige, but I think the reasons that MFA will not pull the trigger on it do have to do with the prestige of grand nats, among other concerns like cost and the ability of programs to miss class, etc

but Indy does not have the depth that SA has, SA had 105 applicants, and add that the Indy bands are all sleeping in their own beds at night - we have Texas bands making a 300-to 500+ mile trek to compete in SA and spending a great deal of money to do it

traveling to Indy is the equivalent of a trip to Austin from SA and it is safe to say that 10 of the top 12 in Indy would not make finals in SA

but Indy does not have the depth that SA has, SA had 105 applicants, and add that the Indy bands are all sleeping in their own beds at night - we have Texas bands making a 300-to 500+ mile trek to compete in SA and spending a great deal of money to do it

traveling to Indy is the equivalent of a trip to Austin from SA and it is safe to say that 10 of the top 12 in Indy would not make finals in SA

Yes, this all may be true (though I think the Indy super field is a bit deeper than you’re suggesting- blue springs would almost certainly make SA finals and Lincoln way, homestead, and o’Fallon would definitely be in the mix) but that just goes back to what I was saying before, which is that MFA is not going to put themselves in a position to explicitly state that the level of competition in Texas is stronger, even if it’s true. There’s already some curmudgeons in the north that think it’s ridiculous we have 6 regionals on top of the super. The only way this contest gets a semis, which I agree would be very helpful in terms of competitive fairness, is to elevate it above being a super regional. As great as that would be, and as much as the level of competition at SA merits it, I have a hard time seeing it actually happen

• 3 weeks later...

I've already started hearing buzz about some school districts that will not be participating in 2021 if there's a date conflict, unfortunately for us. Do we know if any schools already know they won't be at BOA San Antonio next year?

I don’t know of any, but there are likely some.

Leander has never struck me as the type of band that changes their style all that much on UIL years anyway, they just put on the coolest Most artistic show they can regardless of the rubric they’re being judged on, which I admire

It’s true. They don’t really change their shows much for UIL. This fall was pretty hilarious really when we had to do Region. No electronics. No Brittney singing. No first movement at all due to the length of our whole show. It was pretty amusing and a lot of folks thought we were having some kind of technical issues. Nope. Just UIL issues. :lol:

People say "we" when they talk about sports teams, and I'm willing to bet most of them were never part of those organizations. Makes sense that folks continue to identify with their bands ("their" band, see I did it too lol) even after they and their kids graduate :)

Yeah that’s true. Leander will probably always feel to me like they are my kids. :)

• 2 months later...

Is there a history here? Is it that far-fetched to think BA would take a shot at the south grand nationals?

BA and Mason have both pulled out of regionals before knowing they were going to face a potential challenge. When was the last time Broken Arrow didn’t medal outside of GN? I’m not convinced the program is up for that risk.

BA and Mason have both pulled out of regionals before knowing they were going to face a potential challenge. When was the last time Broken Arrow didn’t medal outside of GN? I’m not convinced the program is up for that risk.

Going even farther, the last time they placed outside of the top 2 at any BOA competition (not counting 2018 Nats) was at Nats in 2009. They haven’t lost a regional or SR since 2007, and I doubt they’re looking to change that

What is this based on? Personal observation?

It happened in 2012 when Bell traveled up to St Louis (BA originally signed up, then split—deciding not to attend BOA at all until GN) and in 2015 when Carmel signed up for an early Ohio regional (Mason also signed up, then split).

BA seems pretty confident in their ability to take on Tarpon Springs. Not sure they want to take on Texas—especially after Avon couldn’t manage on their last trip.