UIL Legislative Council Meeting Music Results

• 2 months later...

True, although I don't really think any schools would take the opt up for marching band. The opt up for football, I believe, is for school districts to keep their schools in the same classification/division so that they are in the same football district and keeps travel down. It's not really a competitive decision. I'm not entirely sure why a band would choose to opt up (but I could be wrong and I probably will).

I can see them allowing for opt ups in band. They already allow if for region/area/state band auditions. My son's school, Cedar Park, is 5A but for region band auditions they opt up to 6A.

The all-state process is conducted through TMEA, so it’s a different organization. UIL is an all or nothing opt-up, based on other concerns than competitive concerns. So bands will be stuck to their classification.

• 1 month later...

not that this would ever happen but here's an idea. first, you change enough of the parameters so that a BOA style show can still fare well and not have to change their whole show to accomodate. next make state an every year event for all classes but give the bands the ability to opt out if they have a conflicting schedule. finally , you make sure that none of the judges are from texas so that you dont get the one rogue judge  that just happens to not like  the director or program for personal reasons. before you say this wouldnt work  let me point out that mississippi ( yes, little ol country butt mississippi) has been using this format for years  and it works out great. the participation percentage is higher, there is a true state champion every year, it has developed more "friendly" rivalries  that have helped to improve  the programs by a long way. i do agree that the military style bands need their own state contest. i didnt realize there were that many here but apparently there are quite a few. please understand that i am not equating the quality of the band programs with those 2 states but in my opinion, mississippi has the much better system by far

There are problems with your ideas.  The UIL would not change its parameters for BOA. The fact is that less than 200 High Schools compete in BOA. The majority of High Schools in the state would not vote for this. The number of Bands competing in BOA in Texas have been rather consistent at about 200 schools. That is less than 20% of the High Schools. The problem most people do not seem to understand is that BOA support is primarily in the class 5A & 6A Ranks. UIL makes its decisions on what is best for ALL Schools and most of the smaller schools cannot afford the luxury of BOA. That is a true fact.

As regards to what the MHHSA and MSBA Have in their rules, the big problem is that MS has less than 20% of the schools in TX. Distance is far greater. Vicksburg to Tupelo is little over 240 miles. Compare that to the 800 miles between Houston and El Paso or the 369 miles from Abilene to Shreveport, LA. I think MS and Arkansas and Oklahoma also have good Contest ideas, especially Arkansas. However due to our size we take much more time to get a consenus of everything in the Band Program and all other parts of Texas HS Activities.