2020-2022 UIL Realignment

I wouldn't be surprised if Leander is a little bigger when the numbers come out. There's so many new homes in Travisso, which is all zoned to LHS. We took a drive through there the other night and were blown away at how many new homes are there already + lots available. Plus, Crystal Falls has added several new streets of homes in the last year, as well.

Wayyyy off topic but those homes at the top of the hill in Travisso are insanely gorgeous! We toured a few of those nearly a million dollar models a few months ago and I was blown away by how beautiful they are.

I believe this will be the last cycle where Cedar Park has potential to be a 6A. The past two cycles it has been very close (I believe they were only about 20 students away from 6A in 2016), but the area has been completely built out with no more room to build new homes. The new zoning plan for LISD (which will mainly effect middle school zoning) won't heavily affect CP, but I believe that we will hover around 2,000 students for a while.

I believe this will be the last cycle where Cedar Park has potential to be a 6A. The past two cycles it has been very close (I believe they were only about 20 students away from 6A in 2016), but the area has been completely built out with no more room to build new homes. The new zoning plan for LISD (which will mainly effect middle school zoning) won't heavily affect CP, but I believe that we will hover around 2,000 students for a while.

If anything, the cutoff for 6A will move UP.  It's doubtful CP will land in 6A.

I think Lumberton will remain in 4A for at least another few years. The school did get bigger this year, enrollment around 1200 in a school made for 900 students. I did hear that UIL is raising the enrollment line for 5A higher so I don't think Lumberton will reach that line yet. I do think Lumberton does better in 4A for all the extracurricular activities so I hope we don't move back up.

I think Lumberton will remain in 4A for at least another few years. The school did get bigger this year, enrollment around 1200 in a school made for 900 students. I did hear that UIL is raising the enrollment line for 5A higher so I don't think Lumberton will reach that line yet. I do think Lumberton does better in 4A for all the extracurricular activities so I hope we don't move back up.

Until the enrollment numbers are taken later this month, there is no way to know what the cutoff will be for any classification.  Considering that many schools in the state have grown in population, it may be a safe assumption that the minimum size for 5A is going up.  Here is the procedure to determine the break points:

1. 6A is the 220-250 biggest schools, not including schools that opt-up.  Historically, 6A has been maxed out at 250.  So the enrollment cutoff for 6A will be the enrollment of the 250th largest school.

2. 2A through 5A each have at least 200 schools, with the largest school in the classification being no more than 2x the enrollment of the smallest school.  So, the minimum 5A enrollment size will be 1/2 of the enrollment of the 251st biggest school in the state.

1. 1A is all schools with less than 105.

Until the enrollment numbers are taken later this month, there is no way to know what the cutoff will be for any classification.  Considering that many schools in the state have grown in population, it may be a safe assumption that the minimum size for 5A is going up.  Here is the procedure to determine the break points:

1. 6A is the 220-250 biggest schools, not including schools that opt-up.  Historically, 6A has been maxed out at 250.  So the enrollment cutoff for 6A will be the enrollment of the 250th largest school.

2. 2A through 5A each have at least 200 schools, with the largest school in the classification being no more than 2x the enrollment of the smallest school.  So, the minimum 5A enrollment size will be 1/2 of the enrollment of the 251st biggest school in the state.

Interesting!  I had no idea that was how it was done!

From what I can find, snapshot day is Oct. 25 (as mentioned before). I'm pretty sure Matt Stepp and the folks over at Dave Campbell's Texas Football will have a running list of enrollments as they get them that day if you're just on the edge of your seat for this information and/or just want to procrastinate at work.

Personally, I'm hoping Summit drops back down to 5A or otherwise finds a way out of District 7-6A. Just brutal for football and basketball.

It will be interesting to see where Vista goes as they were close as well to 5A.  With the Glenn and the rezoning, I am unsure where they will end up.  Like Cedar Park HS most of the area is now built up, so I don't think there will be a ton of new growth.

I think y'all are stuck in 6A like Leander.  They really need a 7A classification SOON!  I'm tired of getting creamed by these football teams.

Good to see you again, btw!

Until the enrollment numbers are taken later this month, there is no way to know what the cutoff will be for any classification. Considering that many schools in the state have grown in population, it may be a safe assumption that the minimum size for 5A is going up. Here is the procedure to determine the break points:

1. 6A is the 220-250 biggest schools, not including schools that opt-up. Historically, 6A has been maxed out at 250. So the enrollment cutoff for 6A will be the enrollment of the 250th largest school.

2. 2A through 5A each have at least 200 schools, with the largest school in the classification being no more than 2x the enrollment of the smallest school. So, the minimum 5A enrollment size will be 1/2 of the enrollment of the 251st biggest school in the state.

Didn’t 4A only have about 190 schools last alignment? That may just be the number of 4As playing football I’m thinking of, or it could’ve been 200 before opt ups. Thanks for the info though! I’ve always wondered how exactly it works.

Didn’t 4A only have about 190 schools last alignment? That may just be the number of 4As playing football I’m thinking of, or it could’ve been 200 before opt ups. Thanks for the info though! I’ve always wondered how exactly it works.

You are correct.  At the last alignment, after opt-up adjustments, the classifications had the following:

6A (2190 and above) 254 schools (Basketball); 252 schools (Football)

5A (1150 – 2189) 253 schools (Basketball); 252 schools (Football)

4A (505 – 1149) 189 schools (Basketball); 182 schools (Football)

3A (225 – 504) 232 schools (Basketball); 211 schools (Football)

2A (105 – 224) 198 schools (Basketball); 187 schools (Football)

1A (104.9 and below) 212 schools (Basketball); 142 schools (Football)

Since 6A is capped at ~250, and since it appears that the UIL wants to use 250 as a max for the other classifications (see 5A), the 4A class will grow as more high schools open.  The enrollment cutoffs will just continue to go higher.  My guess is that until 4A hits 250 schools (meaning 50 more high schools open up across the state), a 7A class won't be considered.

A lot of the desire for a 7A class is to keep the smallest 6A schools from having to compete with the giant 6A schools.  But in reality, it really wouldn't make that much difference.  Using UIL's own formula, if 6A had a max enrollment number of 2X the smallest, the biggest 6A school would be Alief Elsik, with an enrollment of 4283 - a pretty big school.  Only 10 6A schools are bigger than Elsik:

Allen 6664

Plano West 5654

Plano East 5342.5

Plano 5197.5

Galena Park North Shore 4754

Dallas Skyline 4568

Lewisville 4564

Duncanville 4451

Conroe The Woodlands 4435

Laredo United 4422

You are correct.  At the last alignment, after opt-up adjustments, the classifications had the following:

6A (2190 and above) 254 schools (Basketball); 252 schools (Football)

5A (1150 – 2189) 253 schools (Basketball); 252 schools (Football)

4A (505 – 1149) 189 schools (Basketball); 182 schools (Football)

3A (225 – 504) 232 schools (Basketball); 211 schools (Football)

2A (105 – 224) 198 schools (Basketball); 187 schools (Football)

1A (104.9 and below) 212 schools (Basketball); 142 schools (Football)

Since 6A is capped at ~250, and since it appears that the UIL wants to use 250 as a max for the other classifications (see 5A), the 4A class will grow as more high schools open.  The enrollment cutoffs will just continue to go higher.  My guess is that until 4A hits 250 schools (meaning 50 more high schools open up across the state), a 7A class won't be considered.

A lot of the desire for a 7A class is to keep the smallest 6A schools from having to compete with the giant 6A schools.  But in reality, it really wouldn't make that much difference.  Using UIL's own formula, if 6A had a max enrollment number of 2X the smallest, the biggest 6A school would be Alief Elsik, with an enrollment of 4283 - a pretty big school.  Only 10 6A schools are bigger than Elsik:

Allen 6664

Plano West 5654

Plano East 5342.5

Plano 5197.5

Galena Park North Shore 4754

Dallas Skyline 4568

Lewisville 4564

Duncanville 4451

Conroe The Woodlands 4435

Laredo United 4422

Ah, so a good way to put it is either if there are more than 1250 schools above the enrollment of 104.9 in the UIL, that's when UIL will likely add the 7A class? After all, at that point, it would be impossible to make 2A-6A all have 250 or less schools.

This thread has a lot of the numbers for all classifications. A lot of the numbers are from Matt Stepp and Dave Campbell's Texas Football, but that one's behind a paywall this year.

https://www.6atexasfootball.com/forum/main-forum/484660-friday-is-snapshot-day-uil-2020-2022-realignment-post-adm-numbers-here/

Mansfield Summit turned in 2051, so they'll be dropping back down to 5A. Stinks for this year's juniors, but should help the band and also get's them out of a really tough athletic district.

This thread has a lot of the numbers for all classifications. A lot of the numbers are from Matt Stepp and Dave Campbell's Texas Football, but that one's behind a paywall this year.

https://www.6atexasfootball.com/forum/main-forum/484660-friday-is-snapshot-day-uil-2020-2022-realignment-post-adm-numbers-here/

Mansfield Summit turned in 2051, so they'll be dropping back down to 5A. Stinks for this year's juniors, but should help the band and also get's them out of a really tough athletic district.

I was just about to post the same thing. So far the Mansfield schools are the most interesting that I have seen, though Birdville was surprisingly close to last year's 6A cutoff. Also, was FW Paschal already 6A? They are well over the cutoff but I always thought they were 5A.