2020-2022 UIL Realignment

• 2 months later...

So am I hearing that with the 2020-2022 region alignment, schools such as Summit are moving down to 5A, or their respective area?

Is this all in efforts for a more successful football/marching/concert season?

Are these positive changes? And what does this mean for TMEA All-State regions and areas?

Thanks, in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2020 at 2:49 AM, dhornmtx said:

Are the number of participants in all-region bands going to change or is that region specific?

I believe that is Region-specific, but the numbers that advance from Area to All-state is set by TMEA, and varies by Area.  It is based on the historical number of participants by instrument in each Area.

• 1 month later...
On 4/15/2020 at 2:48 AM, dhornmtx said:

So am I hearing that with the 2020-2022 region alignment, schools such as Summit are moving down to 5A, or their respective area?

Is this all in efforts for a more successful football/marching/concert season?

Are these positive changes? And what does this mean for TMEA All-State regions and areas?

Thanks, in advance.

Schools move up or down a classification based on their enrollment and the numbers set by the UIL. Schools can opt up a classification (or division for football in Class 1A through 5A), but they cannot opt down.

Most of the time the move down helps in football and marching band since it's better to be one of the biggest schools in 5A instead of one of the smallest schools in 6A, but not always. As a Summit alum, I'm interested to see how the drop down plays out. Football moves from a district with powerhouses Desoto and Cedar Hill plus South Grand Prairie and Lake Ridge to District 4-5A DI where all eight teams made the postseason last year. So who knows if it will help them.

(Side note: District 4-5A DI might be the best band district out there for the next two years.)

If you want, I believe TMEA has finalized their region and areas for each competition, which you can view here: https://align.tmea.org/align_2022/index.php

Also, Dave Campbell's Texas Football put out a great explainer on realignment:

1 minute ago, LeanderMomma said:

Who’s in District 4-5A D1?

• Burleson Centennial
  • Colleyville Heritage
  • Mansfield Legacy
  • Mansfield Summit
  • Midlothian
  • Birdville
  • Richland
  • Red Oak

Seven of the eight schools made finals at their respective area competitions this past cycle (Richland was 11th at Area B 6A). Centennial, Midlothian, Colleyville Heritage and Birdville went to 5A state last year. You can certainly argue that the top end of District 11 is better, but top-to-bottom District 4 is loaded. Would not be surprised to see all eight schools in area finals in 2021.

But yeah, I can't wait for district play to start.