2020-2022 UIL Realignment

Alignment numbers update: https://www.uiltexas.org/press-releases/detail/updated-uil-conference-cutoff-numbers-and-preliminary-enrollment-figures-fo

Looks like the changes are just for 4A and 5A. It's now 1230 – 2219 for 5A and 515 – 1229 for 4A.

This was likely to account for the 3 McAllen schools dropping to 5A, needed to remove 3 schools out of 5A now due to the 3 McAllen ones being added, this change drops Lumberton, Terrell, and Alice, 3 schools exactly. It also put Corpus Christi Miller under the cutoff, but it appears CCISD opted them back up to 5A, but I believe opt ups don't affect band, like how South Garland is 6A for athletics but 5A for band. Personally, I don't like this change, if you need to remove 3 schools from 5A because 3 dropped down from 6A... you should move 3 schools up TO 6A, but in UIL's defense, this is a MUCH less major change than lowering the 6A cutoff and sending up schools like Highland Park and Austin Anderson, so it probably was for the best to cause less of an uproar.

Sounds to me like UIL has been doing everything they can to keep Highland Park out of 6A, which seems like a bit of a conspiracy to me.

Yep.  The UIL broke with their precedent of always maxing out 6A at 250 schools plus opt ups.  They originally had it at 248, which conveniently kept Highland Park out of 6A.  Then when the McAllen schools were corrected, they set 6A to 245, again seemingly to keep HP out of 6A.  

Someone tell me why on earth UIL wants to keep HP out of 6A? I don’t get it.

It's been a conspiracy for the longest time that HP somehow bribes people or something along the lines of that to make sure UIL keeps them in 5A, it's a running joke that if you're smaller than HP, you're gonna be fine and shouldn't move up.

I'm not here to spread rumors though, and don't think it's real. I think it's just completely reasonable to assume UIL wanted to lessen the reactions to changing the cutoffs, lessening the 6A cutoff would've stirred up way more people, not to mention 4A is consistently the smallest class besides 1A, so might as well give them a couple more schools to fill things out. Nobody they dropped down will make a major competitive difference in basically any activity anyway, besides Lumberton who is solid at band and makes state in 4A and also made it their last time in 5A.

That’s bizarre for sure.

I wonder if UIL conspired to move Leander down to 5A? :lol:

I’m joking, mods. Don’t flame me!

Girl I thought you would like that!  Now Leander has a fighting chance in football!

13-6A is gonna be interesting. I met with the track coaches last night. Depending what happens with Anderson, there is a genuine concern that Lake Travis may move north into 13-6A.  THIS MOM HOPES NOT

It's been a conspiracy for the longest time that HP somehow bribes people or something along the lines of that to make sure UIL keeps them in 5A, it's a running joke that if you're smaller than HP, you're gonna be fine and shouldn't move up.

I'm not here to spread rumors though, and don't think it's real. I think it's just completely reasonable to assume UIL wanted to lessen the reactions to changing the cutoffs, lessening the 6A cutoff would've stirred up way more people, not to mention 4A is consistently the smallest class besides 1A, so might as well give them a couple more schools to fill things out. Nobody they dropped down will make a major competitive difference in basically any activity anyway, besides Lumberton who is solid at band and makes state in 4A and also made it their last time in 5A.

It seems that many folks, especially those in other School systems have questions about Highland Park. Remember this, they last were in 6A in 2014.  They always seem to come in just under the 6A enrollments. Obiviously they have found a way to do this on a frequent basis.

Girl I thought you would like that! Now Leander has a fighting chance in football!

13-6A is gonna be interesting. I met with the track coaches last night. Depending what happens with Anderson, there is a genuine concern that Lake Travis may move north into 13-6A. THIS MOM HOPES NOT

Well I don’t really care about the football aspect of it although I am happy for them. I’m just sad to see the band have to take a step back down. I liked 6A!

Oh and good luck with Lake Travis! :lol:

I think it’s a ridiculous accusation for sure. There are lots of schools out there that always hardly miss the cutoff to move up or down, it’s just being lucky (or unlucky) enough to grow just enough each year to avoid the cutoff.

Good example of another school like this : Lindale, shuffled around between old 3A and 4A (so 4A and 5A nowadays) between 2002-2010, changed litterally every single alignment. Since 2010 they’ve stayed in old 4A/now’s 5A, every single year since then the bottom of 5A would be raised by about 40-50 kids, and Lindale would grow by about 50-60s, consistently making them the smallest in their class. Just like HP is almost always lucky enough to be just under 5A.

• 1 month later...

https://www.prosper-isd.net/pisdhighlights?fbclid=IwAR0--UNOeIRJolL5fTDrsepFvQvkZh3jxbQAmpw8NtPxBeI7x48ejHcIJXc

Rock Hill High School (Prosper) hires JP Wilson as the new band director. Wilson has been the associate director at Hebron for several years. I think it is safe to say that Rock Hill will be a competitive group in the coming years as well.

https://www.prosper-isd.net/pisdhighlights?fbclid=IwAR0--UNOeIRJolL5fTDrsepFvQvkZh3jxbQAmpw8NtPxBeI7x48ejHcIJXc

Rock Hill High School (Prosper) hires JP Wilson as the new band director. Wilson has been the associate director at Hebron for several years. I think it is safe to say that Rock Hill will be a competitive group in the coming years as well.

This is huge. Mr. Wilson is an incredible instructor, seriously. He truly has the knack to create a strong community and family out of a band program.

I’m not sure about the football=high attendance schools. Longview has been winning for years in 6a. They go up and down from 6a to 5a every time realignment comes up. Lufkin is the same. As far as band goes they are both great military bands, so they’ll be in the new military band state contest if they go.

I’d love say I’m very interested in the new military band state contest but that’s just not my thing. I had enough of that growing up in East Texas.

With UIL realignment, it looks like TMEA is realigning music regions/areas.  https://www.tmea.org/divisionsregions-mm/regions-mm/region-alignment-mm/region-alignment-map-2022

The first big change I noticed was Plano ISD and Prosper ISD are moving out of Region 24/Area B into Region 25/Area C.  McKinney ISD is moving out of Region 25/Area C to Region 24/Area B.

Looking at their guidelines, it appears TMEA will realign regions every 2 years based on All-State audition participation (number of students auditioning for All-Region that could lead to All-State, meaning, I believe, middle school and 9th grade audition numbers aren't considered).

It's a proposed alignment right now.  It will be finalized later this year.

I didn't even realize that some regions have a separate audition for 9th graders.

In region 25, they have a separate 9th grade All-Region band. Since Region participation is so high, they set this up so that more 9th graders have a chance to experience the region clinic and concert. 9th graders can also audition for regular high school All-Region, which happens a few weeks later. If they make 9th grade AR band, then make High School AR, they give up their chair in the 9th grade band, and everyone else moves up a chair. Typically, 9th graders who initially make top chair placements in the 9th AR band end up making it into High School AR.

With UIL realignment, it looks like TMEA is realigning music regions/areas.  https://www.tmea.org/divisionsregions-mm/regions-mm/region-alignment-mm/region-alignment-map-2022

The first big change I noticed was Plano ISD and Prosper ISD are moving out of Region 24/Area B into Region 25/Area C.  McKinney ISD is moving out of Region 25/Area C to Region 24/Area B.

Looking at their guidelines, it appears TMEA will realign regions every 2 years based on All-State audition participation (number of students auditioning for All-Region that could lead to All-State, meaning, I believe, middle school and 9th grade audition numbers aren't considered).

It's a proposed alignment right now.  It will be finalized later this year.

Also Richardson ISD is in for a big change, moving from Region 3/Area C (its home for decades) to Region 20 and both Area B for marching and Area D for TMEA. Area B stretches from McKinney/Frisco in the northeast, across the mid-cities and Fort Worth, all the way to Weatherford and Granbury! As for TMEA, it looks like Richardson kids will be auditioning for all-state side by side with kids from way down in Round Rock and over to College Station!

On the bright side this means Berkner and JJ Pearce will no longer have to go head to head with the Lewisville ISD powerhouses. (This year Hebron alone had 25 band All-Staters, compared to 3 total from all of Region 3 - Richardson, Garland, Mesquite, and Rockwall!)