2020-2022 UIL Realignment

North Houston will be a bit different too.  Tomball and Willis have moved up to 6A and Lumberton is back in 5A.  This means we will see even more new faces at the 5A SMC from Houston in 2 years I bet.  Something tells me the Houston area may be recombined like it was in 2017 for 5A.  

This gives Galena Park, Porter, Lumberton, Crosby, and College Station a pretty clear path for a fight to the SMC with room for Magnolia, Magnolia West and some new comers to be area Finalists next go around.  With the explosive growth of each of these programs I suspect Houston area schools that are not Friendswood in 5A will start to move up a bit.  

North Houston will be a bit different too. Tomball and Willis have moved up to 6A and Lumberton is back in 5A. This means we will see even more new faces at the 5A SMC from Houston in 2 years I bet. Something tells me the Houston area may be recombined like it was in 2017 for 5A.

This gives Galena Park, Porter, Lumberton, Crosby, and College Station a pretty clear path for a fight to the SMC with room for Magnolia, Magnolia West and some new comers to be area Finalists next go around. With the explosive growth of each of these programs I suspect Houston area schools that are not Friendswood in 5A will start to move up a bit.

Willis and Tomball moving up creates an absolute bloodbath for the state spots in north Houston, even more so than this year

For football yes. I don't think band is going to change. Everything is pretty stable right now in the top classes.

Correct.  TMEA sets the region & area maps for band, using somewhat different criteria than UIL uses for district/region maps.  TMEA looks to create regions with a good balance of historical participation in All-Region while being geographically logical and having enough schools of any particular classification to keep contests relevant.  There may be some slight adjustments made if a school moving up or down a classification throws a region out of balance, but I doubt very many, if any, changes will be made.  Also, I don't believe TMEA ever splits a multi high school district across multiple music regions.  The UIL does split school districts across two UIL athletic districts when the numbers make sense (the Cy-Fair ISD, for example, has schools if two UIL districts in two different regions).   TMEA will rebalance their music regions when the All-State participation numbers change enough to warrant it.

So for Mansfield ISD, Mansfield and Lake Ridge remain 6A. Legacy just stays in 5A along with Summit and Timberview (Timberview is just 14 over the 5A DI cutoff, which is a bit surprising).

Think this helps Summit both musically and athletically (7-6A is a real blood bath). Just hoping the UIL punts the Mansfield schools back west and we don't end up stuck in a district with Highland Park and Lancaster like the 5A MISD schools are in this current cycle for athletic reasons.

I think Grand Oaks and Shadow Creek are also moving to 6A from the Houston area. Seems there could be quite a bit of changes in the 5A alignment down there and I wouldnt be surprised at all to see them consolidate an area to make room for more in central or northern texas where there are so many 5A schools.

Oh boy.......looks like Lumberton is back into 5A! I am not too fond of moving back up. Lumberton as a whole did better in 4A but I guess 5A will have to do for a bit. Also I agree with oddlynormal and SpartanMarcher, the Houston area will be tougher for those state spots.

Edit: Just found out Lumberton is now the smallest 5A school in the state so whoopie do there

Hoping the best for Brandeis, I’m not about to make a baseless prediction and act like it’s going to happen but I will say that hypothetically there is a small chance that they could cause an upset. I’m keeping them in the talks for finals though for sure.

They’ve been a staple of Area H Finals for a bit.

I think Grand Oaks and Shadow Creek are also moving to 6A from the Houston area. Seems there could be quite a bit of changes in the 5A alignment down there and I wouldnt be surprised at all to see them consolidate an area to make room for more in central or northern texas where there are so many 5A schools.

It’s going to be fun watching these newly developing programs battle it out against the more established 6A programs. I’m expecting these guys to show up to some big name Houston invitationals where the 6A Houston competition is strong while outsider competition is low. Thinking: Friendswood Invitational (think this will be the strongest option for them, especially due to its value as an early season competition), Lone Star Preview, Cypress Showcase, or perhaps Katy Marching Festival.

With Leander dropping down, some school out there just lost their Bronze medal at the 2021 5A State contest.

What does Area H look like now with the three LISD schools of Leander, Cedar Park and Rouse in it.  Who else is in there at the 5A level?  I lost track since we have been 6A the last few years.  

5A was a beautiful war this year. The next 5A contest is going to take it up a notch. With Leander ISD having Cedar Park, Leander, Rouse as the heaviest hitters and Glenn making a quick upswing it will be exciting. Not only at finals but shows like the Leander Festival of Bands, Texas Marching Classic are going to be even more intense.

Wakeland, Highland Park, and Dripping Springs are going to be at the top of the spear. Competition is great as it makes everyone step up their game, hopefully eliminating the 6A lock in BOA.

That’s a really nice way to look at it Mike. Thanks for cheering me up a bit over the whole thing. I’m admittedly quite disappointed over Leander moving back down but I’ll get over it. :)

That’s a really nice way to look at it Mike. Thanks for cheering me up a bit over the whole thing. I’m admittedly quite disappointed over Leander moving back down but I’ll get over it. :)

Quite honestly it is where Leander should be. Moving down or up holds no bearing on the ability of the organization. Heck, if they are lucky they can break CPHS's stranglehold on 5A.

As the old saying goes. Just take Highland Park's number and add 10 to it, and you have the 6A cutoff.

Yep. Although I don't think it's 100 percent set in stone this time around. Apparently McAllen ISD is disputing the numbers the UIL announced for their schools, including three 6A schools that would drop into 5A according to the district's numbers (somewhat relatedly, the UIL doubled Rio Vista's numbers somehow from 219 to 438, so there actually might be something to this). So, if those schools drop to where they belong and the UIL keeps the same number of schools for 6A, the next three schools to move up would be Corpus Christi Veterans Memorial, Austin Anderson and Dallas Highland Park.

According to the Dallas Morning News, the UIL initially said they would not change the cutoff numbers, but then backtracked to say that they aren't ruling that out. The folks over at 6A Texas Football doubt the UIL will bump up HP, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Source: https://www.dallasnews.com/high-school-sports/football/2019/12/03/highland-park-is-staying-in-class-5a-for-the-next-two-years/

You’re right tho. Seeing as how Leander has always been a 3A band as far as BOA is concerned, it was a bit ridiculous that we were actually (albeit barely) a 6A high school. We SHOULD be 5A no doubt. I’m just going to miss competing against the (much) bigger dogs and yet easily proving that we deserve to be there. 5th place last year behind VR, FloMo, Vandy and Hebron wasn’t too shabby. ;)

I really will come around. And I know our athletes have to be pumped to get out of this INSANE 6A level of sports. It’s been rough!

When you're just barely above the cutoff it is very difficult to field the numbers against some of the other 6A competition, and as for band with BOA being as big it is when it comes to the top bands, it really doesn't matter the classification because the cream will always rise to the top, and like Mike said now we get to have a real fun fight for the gold medal in 2021 against Cedar Park.

I teach in Little Elm now, and I know it's already going to be brutal next year for their athletics team especially football. I'm imagining there's a good chance they put us with perennial state contenders Southlake Carroll and Denton Guyer, or they ship us out with the Plano mega schools, Prosper, and Allen. Both scenarios would be just dreadful for LE though.

Yep. Although I don't think it's 100 percent set in stone this time around. Apparently McAllen ISD is disputing the numbers the UIL announced for their schools, including three 6A schools that would drop into 5A according to the district's numbers (somewhat relatedly, the UIL doubled Rio Vista's numbers somehow from 219 to 438, so there actually might be something to this). So, if those schools drop to where they belong and the UIL keeps the same number of schools for 6A, the next three schools to move up would be Corpus Christi Veterans Memorial, Austin Anderson and Dallas Highland Park.

According to the Dallas Morning News, the UIL initially said they would not change the cutoff numbers, but then backtracked to say that they aren't ruling that out. The folks over at 6A Texas Football doubt the UIL will bump up HP, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Source: https://www.dallasnews.com/high-school-sports/football/2019/12/03/highland-park-is-staying-in-class-5a-for-the-next-two-years/

That would be the ultimate of ironies if UIL was wrong, and HP gets moved up as the last school after-the-fact. 

When you're just barely above the cutoff it is very difficult to field the numbers against some of the other 6A competition, and as for band with BOA being as big it is when it comes to the top bands, it really doesn't matter the classification because the cream will always rise to the top, and like Mike said now we get to have a real fun fight for the gold medal in 2021 against Cedar Park.

I teach in Little Elm now, and I know it's already going to be brutal next year for their athletics team especially football. I'm imagining there's a good chance they put us with perennial state contenders Southlake Carroll and Denton Guyer, or they ship us out with the Plano mega schools, Prosper, and Allen. Both scenarios would be just dreadful for LE though.

I hear ya.  The first time we had to play 6A state champs Lake Travis HS back in 2016 was ROUGH!!!!

Wouldn't Mansfield Legacy be the third to go up instead of CC VM?

Wouldn't Mansfield Legacy be the third to go up instead of CC VM?

Huh, I think we might have found another discrepancy between reported numbers and the UIL numbers. Looks like VM reported 2218 in October (based off of this list) but the UIL has them at 2109. Which means it would be Anderson, HP and Legacy.

I think McAllen reported the WRONG numbers.  Which, as a native PSJA person, makes perfect sense.  McAllen was always about "LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME!" ;)

Richland will be returning to 5A which for football will be great, at the last realignment we where over the 5A cutoff due to a reporting error by just a few but sorry charlie we had to stay in 6A. Looking forward to 5A state in 2021.

Good for Richland. They improved so much two years ago upon making state finals. I hope the move to 5A will bring this band back into contention for a state medal and (fingers crossed) a surge back into BOA San Antonio Finals (much like they did earlier in the decade).