2020-2022 UIL Realignment

According to the article that I read about a year ago on the new high school, the school district is anticipating that both schools will become 5A schools after the split and eventually grow back to 6A. I dont know how the alignment dates and the growth of the schools line up, so its possible that you are right, but I do remember reading something like that.

Leander got bumped into 6A by less than 10 students in 2016.  Not sure where our enrollment is now or what the cut off is.  For football, it has been bad.  We have only won about three football games the last 3+ years.  There should be some sort of mercy rule that automatically drops us back down.  HA!!

Leander got bumped into 6A by less than 10 students in 2016.  Not sure where our enrollment is now or what the cut off is.  For football, it has been bad.  We have only won about three football games the last 3+ years.  There should be some sort of mercy rule that automatically drops us back down.  HA!!

Vista Ridge is similar, a bit more than 10 students difference but not a lot more.  Football has been painful for sure.

In another thread, there was talk about creating separate conferences for the 6A schools (massive schools in one conference; non-massive schools in the other) to give the smaller schools a fighting chance. I wonder what, if any, affect that would have on realignment.

I have heard that UIL is considering creating a Conference 7A, but that won't happen until at least 2022. We will remain with six conferences for the upcoming cycle.

In another thread, there was talk about creating separate conferences for the 6A schools (massive schools in one conference; non-massive schools in the other) to give the smaller schools a fighting chance. I wonder what, if any, affect that would have on realignment.

Probably not much if at all, I believe the idea was to split into D1 and D2 like football, perfectly splitting the division in half. UIL will realign it as they normally would, and if the rule passed, bands would be split down the middle of 6A into a D1 and D2

In another thread, there was talk about creating separate conferences for the 6A schools (massive schools in one conference; non-massive schools in the other) to give the smaller schools a fighting chance.  I wonder what, if any, affect that would have on realignment. 

I sure would love to see that happen.  Poor Leander is so close to truly being a 5A school, and we really ought to be.  Yes, we have a huge band.  No, we do not have a huge school population.

I have heard that UIL is considering creating a Conference 7A, but that won't happen until at least 2022. We will remain with six conferences for the upcoming cycle.

I think a 7A will happen eventually, just because the total number of high schools in Texas is growing.  6A is limited by the UIL to 250 total schools, so the middle classifications keep growing.  It will be many years down the road before it becomes necessary, though.  There really aren't that many "massive" schools to warrant a classification just for them.  There are only 15 schools with enrollment over 4000, 37 above 3500.  

Plano West proves that school size isn't the biggest factor when it comes to football success. Second largest high school in Texas (5654 students), 1-34 over the last four years.

I could be wrong, but I think they’re in the upper 2000s (2700ish) in terms of actual enrollment, UIL doubles the enrollment of 11-12th grade only campuses when counting for the rank order, which is why they’re huge on there. But to be fair, at larger schools you don’t really have many 10th graders and hardly any 9th grades ever play on varsity, so they essentially have mostly the talent pool of a 9-12th grade school in the 5000s when you get technical about it.

Richland also went over the 6A cut off due to an error in counting, and it has been difficult having in football but hoping we can drop back to 5A this coming time. Band has not been as difficult since we have always performed well in our AAA classification and against AAAA schools and we anticipate our numbers growing this next year.

I could be wrong, but I think they’re in the upper 2000s (2700ish) in terms of actual enrollment, UIL doubles the enrollment of 11-12th grade only campuses when counting for the rank order, which is why they’re huge on there. But to be fair, at larger schools you don’t really have many 10th graders and hardly any 9th grades ever play on varsity, so they essentially have mostly the talent pool of a 9-12th grade school in the 5000s when you get technical about it.

UIL counts the 9-12 enrollment of all high schools, including separate campuses as necessary.  Since Plano ISD uses feeder high schools, the populations of the two feeder high schools (9-10) is added to the 11-12 enrollment of the senior high.  Allen High is actually only 10-12 grade, with the separate Lowrey Freshman Center.  All four grades are added together to get the 6600 enrollment number.  So, to your point, Plano West and Allen have essentially the same size varsity aged talent pool.

The "doubling" rule comes into play for single-gender schools (i.e. Dallas Jesuit).  For classification purposes, their enrollment is doubled.

I sure would love to see that happen.  Poor Leander is so close to truly being a 5A school, and we really ought to be.  Yes, we have a huge band.  No, we do not have a huge school population.

Leander should have petitioned to be smaller if it was a 10 kid difference.  

Although, I think you can only do that if its for transportation purposes.  

Leander should have petitioned to be smaller if it was a 10 kid difference.  

Although, I think you can only do that if its for transportation purposes.  

well it's a few more than 10, but not very many more!  We've probably grown since the last time they did realignment, though.  So many apartments and new homes being built.  

I wouldn't be surprised if Leander is a little bigger when the numbers come out.  There's so many new homes in Travisso, which is all zoned to LHS.  We took a drive through there the other night and were blown away at how many new homes are there already +  lots available.  Plus, Crystal Falls has added several new streets of homes in the last year, as well.