No worries...I'd brag about it!  The cool part of virtually every band (no matter what classification) is that they have had success at one point or another...some have maintained it, some have fallen off a bit and then there's the "New Kids On The Block" who burst onto the scene and change the playing field for everyone.

That area (Collin/Denton Counties) of DFW is changing and growing quickly.  Just last year, Prosper was one of those bands that jumped into the spotlight...this year they have a new high school.  I don't know if that affected the numbers for Prosper but it will be interesting if they can continue their success.   Hopefully, they will. 

I think someone mentioned last year that one of the reason that Prosper did back to back years at grand nats was because the new school was going to split up the boundaries and would impact the size of the program

Well I went to SFA’s feeder school, William B. Travis, but we haven’t been able to have the same success as them. Eventually we can get there.

I am friends with a band director in the Houston area.  He took over a program that hadn't even sniffed success.  Two years ago, after a few years on the job, they made state.

As the old saying goes, "it's a marathon, not a sprint."

I'll brag about CTJ.....I have no problems with this.  I'm extremely proud of this program.  Especially since my daughters have been involved with it for the last 10 years......

• 2008  CTJ opens for business
  • 2008  First show was "Bloom"
    • USSBA San Antonio (1st in 5A)
    • USSBA Texas State Championships (3rd in 5A)
    • BOA San Antonio (29th Place)
  • 2009  "Dichotomy::Duality"
    • USSBA Texas Championships (2nd Place)
    • BOA Houston (16th Place)
    • BOA San Antonio (23rd Place)
  • 2010  "You Are..."  Personally, one of my favorite CTJ shows.  Also the 1st year, my oldest daughter, started participating.
    • Roosevelt Rough Rider Marching Contest (Grand Champion)
    • BOA Houston (9th in Finals, 8th in Prelims.  Won Visual in prelims)
    • UIL Area D 5A (3rd place)
    • BOA San Antonio (10th in Finals, 7th in Prelims)
    • UIL State Marching Contest 5A (13th Place)
  • 2011  "Lincolnshire Posy"
    • Lone Star Preview (1st in Finals, 2nd in Prelims)
    • BOA Houston (6th in Finals, 6th in Prelims)
    • BOA San Antonio (5th in Finals, 6th in Prelims)
    • Grand Nationals (8th in Finals, 10th in Semi-Finals, 7th in Prelims)
  • 2012  "Eve"
    • BOA Denton (3rd overall)  The weather sucked at this event.  Finals was cancelled.  They used scores from prelims to determine winner.
    • BOA San Antonio (4th in Finals)
    • UIL State Marching Contest 5A (10th in Finals, 8th in Prelims)
  • 2013  "Enigmatic" - This was the  senior year for my oldest, and my middle daughter's freshman year.  CTJ also participated in the 125th Tournament of Roses Parade.
    • BOA Austin (2nd in Finals, 2nd in Prelims) - CTJ won Music in both Prelims & Finals
    • BOA Houston (2nd in Finals, 2nd in Prelims) - CTJ won Music and Visual in Prelims.
    • BOA San Antonio (4th in Finals) - CTJ won GE in Prelims
  • 2014  "Chameleon"
    • US Bands New Braunfels Showcase (1st overall)
    • BOA Houston (1st in Finals) - CTJ won Music, Visual, and GE in Finals
    • UIL Area D 5A-6A (3rd place)
    • UIL State Marching Contest 6A (3rd in Finals, 7th in Prelims)
    • BOA San Antonio (1st in Finals) - CTJ tied for Visual with Bowie and won GE
  • 2015  "White Rabbit"
    • BOA McAllen (1st in Finals) - CTJ won all 3 captions.  Tied with Harlingen for Music.
    • BOA Houston (2nd in Finals) - CTJ won Music.  Tied Reagan for Visual.
    • BOA San Antonio (3rd in Finals)
  • 2016  "Flashdance" - My middle daughters senior year, and my youngest freshman year!  My middle daughter was Tiny Dancer in the show!!!
    • BOA Austin (3rd in Finals)
    • BOA Houston (2nd in Finals)
    • UIL Area D 6A (5th in Prelims) - CTJ pulled out of Finals
    • BOA San Antonio (4th in Finals)
    • Grand Nationals (9th in Finals)
  • 2017  "The Forest Through The Trees"
    • BOA Austin (1st in Finals) - Won all 3 captions.  Tied Vandegrift in Music.
    • Roosevelt Rough Rider Marching Contest (1st place)
    • BOA Midland (1st in Finals) - Won all 3 captions.
    • BOA San Antonio (1st in Finals) - Won Music and GE.  Also the highest finals score in BOA San Antonio history...96.625.
  • 2018  "Tremendous Sea Of Love"
    • BOA McAllen (1st in Finals) - Won all 3 captions.
    • BOA Austin (1st in Finals) - Won GE
    • UIL Area D 6A (3rd place)
    • BOA San Antonio (5th in Finals)
    • UIL State Marching Contest 6A (7th in Finals)

I will brag with you BK - you forgot the 2014 Sudler Shield and the current invite to perform at the Midwest Clinic this year

Here is what I could find.

Not sure exactly when but Mark McGahey has been the Director of Bands at Keller High School since the 90's

KISD was established in 1911 but I can't find anything on when the marching band came to be.

2018 9th at BOA SA SR/ 8th at SMBC/ Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

2017 9th at BOA SA

2016 13th at BOA SA/ 5th at SMBC

2015 13th at BOA SA/ 11th at BOA Grand National Championship/ Sudler Shield of Excellence

2014 18th at BOA SA/ 10th at SMBC

2013 28th at BOA SA 

2012 17th at BOA SA/ 5A TMEA Honor Band Finalist/ SMBC Appearance

2010 12th at BOA SA/ SMBC Appearance

2009 10th at BOA SA

2008 9th at BOA SA/ SMBC Appearance

2006 SMBC Appearance

2003 25th at BOA SA

2002 16th at BOA SA

1999 2nd place at the 4A State Marching Contest/ TMEA State Honor Band

1986 SMBC Appearance

1985 SMBC Appearance

1980 SMBC Appearance

This one was such a surprise that I had to search it up and turns out that they didn't win visual in prelims. They did, however, achieve an astounding third in visual despite being placed 8th.

I find it hilarious that you have to find a flaw in the list of a parent that spent 10+ years serving an organization - was that to degrade the list of accomplishments?

the reality - look at the last 5 or even 10 years for that matter - there is no program that has won more BOA gold in Texas in that span than this program.

it is still a young program that is just coming into their 12th year of existence

11 Seasons

8 - BOA Regional/Super Regional Championships

13 BOA Medal Placements

8 - BOA Class AAAA Gold

61 - Captions - All Events

1 - Texas UIL Bronze

2 - Grand National Finals - in 2 appearances 

this is without even looking at the TOR parade, Sudler Shield, and Midwest Clinic - all in just over a decade of opening their doors

just my thoughts

Here is what I could find.

Not sure exactly when but Mark McGahey has been the Director of Bands at Keller High School since the 90's

KISD was established in 1911 but I can't find anything on when the marching band came to be.

2018 9th at BOA SA SR/ 8th at SMBC/ Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

2017 9th at BOA SA

2016 13th at BOA SA/ 5th at SMBC

2015 13th at BOA SA/ 11th at BOA Grand National Championship/ Sudler Shield of Excellence

2014 18th at BOA SA/ 10th at SMBC

2013 28th at BOA SA

2012 17th at BOA SA/ 5A TMEA Honor Band Finalist/ SMBC Appearance

2010 12th at BOA SA/ SMBC Appearance

2009 10th at BOA SA

2008 9th at BOA SA/ SMBC Appearance

2006 SMBC Appearance

2003 25th at BOA SA

2002 16th at BOA SA

1999 2nd place at the 4A State Marching Contest/ TMEA State Honor Band

1986 SMBC Appearance

1985 SMBC Appearance

1980 SMBC Appearance

I'm pretty sure the announcer mentioned how old the marching band program at Keller is during the Macy's Parade last Thanksgiving. I think it was 75 years. Might need to go back and find that video.

I am friends with a band director in the Houston area. He took over a program that hadn't even sniffed success. Two years ago, after a few years on the job, they made state.

As the old saying goes, "it's a marathon, not a sprint."

Porter?

I see this multiple times with not just CTJ supporters but a lot of posters. Someone mentions something that’s just slightly out of line and they are jumped on. It happened with CTJ when someone tried to state they were using music from a show they did 2 years ago (in a support of reprise not just a diss about reusing it, mind you), it happened here when they were giving a compliment (hence the word astounding in their response) but still fact checking. I’ve seen it happen times before just being a lurker on here. It’s those interactions that make some have disdain for certain programs. I love the show design intricacy and insane visual maturity that the CTJ band has but seeing its supporters interact in such a way takes down from how I view them. (Same thing for when in the SA voting game, people making alternate accounts to vote for Hebron soured the feeling of Hebron despite their amazing musicality). I’m 100% sure Pinecone wasn’t tying to degrade the CTJ band, they were just simply amazed by a stat, looked it up, corrected it, but still administered praise. This just goes as a lesson to everyone that 99% of posters in here are supportive of all bands big and small so please take things with a grain of salt. No one is trying to bash programs and fact checking is certainly not a form of bashing. Just please keep an open mind to the fact that no one can accurately read tone from words written on a keyboard, and that people are generally more supportive than you think. :)

Point taken - I put a great deal into our program for the past 9+ years and have been proud of what our organization has accomplished. with the comments in the past year+ - about the message of our show last year having a political slant that had parents questioning it - and a post from the director of bands - how often does that happen

I don't mean to slight anyone - but I will not apologize for supporting a program that I have invested years into supporting - as would any of you - 

Here's what I'm using as a reference. If this is wrong then that's my bad, but this says they were in class 4A

https://www.hornrank.com/2010/10/the-woodlands-prelims-oct-9-2010.html?m=1

Yep, definitely 4A, but if you look at 1st and 2nd in visual, they're both 3A. So CTJ did win the caption in their class in prelims.

Point taken - I put a great deal into our program for the past 9+ years and have been proud of what our organization has accomplished. with the comments in the past year+ - about the message of our show last year having a political slant that had parents questioning it - and a post from the director of bands - how often does that happen

I don't mean to slight anyone - but I will not apologize for supporting a program that I have invested years into supporting - as would any of you -

Your program (CTJ) is mindblowingly fantastic and I think we all agree. Unfortunately I think at times the way that you lend your support on here lacks a certain tact and it can leave some of us more thinking about our interactions with the supporters than the actual band when we formulate opinions. This is not just meant for you, but in general. I think it is something important to remember that we dont want to be the reason for someone else to not like our band.

Your program (CTJ) is mindblowingly fantastic and I think we all agree. Unfortunately I think at times the way that you lend your support on here lacks a certain tact and it can leave some of us more thinking about our interactions with the supporters than the actual band when we formulate opinions. This is not just meant for you, but in general. I think it is something important to remember that we dont want to be the reason for someone else to not like our band.

have a great day  -  :)

It’s very difficult to find info on Porter from before 2015, especially considering none of the staff from before then is still here, but this is what I’ve been able to gather

- Porter High School opens

- No info

“I Love New York”

- No placements

“Undercover”

- UIL 4A Area F - 23rd(?) place

“Like No One’s Watching”

- No placements

“Doorways”

- Friendswood Marching Contest - 14th

- GPISD Marching Contest - Placement unknown

- UIL 5A Area F - 7th in Finals (6th in Prelims)

“Into the Cosmos”

- USBands Early Step-off Series - 2nd in Class III

- USBands REMO Finale Houston - 1st in Class IV/1st Overall (Best Music, Color Guard, Percussion, and Overall Effect)

“For Which It Stands”

- GPISD Marching Contest - 6th in 5A

- UIL 5A Area F - 4th in finals (7th in prelims)

- First NCISD band to advance to State since 1991

- UIL 5A SMC - 28th place

“Images of Sparta”

- GPISD Marching Contest - 3rd in 5A

- USBands Remo Finale Houston - 2nd in Class IV, 2nd Overall

Sounds like the staff change was very good for Porter!

You know, this brings up a point that I have often wondered about in recent years. Stony Point. They are a Round Rock ISD band. A 6A school in fact. Yet they don’t seem to attract the same level of directors that the rest of the area does. And accordingly, their band is on the small side and not very competitive. It seems to me that a really good staff could come in to Stony Point HS and turn that program around! I’m curious as to why that hasn’t happened yet.

I find it hilarious that you have to find a flaw in the list of a parent that spent 10+ years serving an organization - was that to degrade the list of accomplishments?

the reality - look at the last 5 or even 10 years for that matter - there is no program that has won more BOA gold in Texas in that span than this program.

it is still a young program that is just coming into their 12th year of existence

11 Seasons

8 - BOA Regional/Super Regional Championships

13 BOA Medal Placements

8 - BOA Class AAAA Gold

61 - Captions - All Events

1 - Texas UIL Bronze

2 - Grand National Finals - in 2 appearances

this is without even looking at the TOR parade, Sudler Shield, and Midwest Clinic - all in just over a decade of opening their doors

just my thoughts

How about we all not get defensive when incorrect information is corrected on the thread. The fact was wrong, he corrected it. End of a very simple story.