Introducing People to Drum Corps

DrumCorpsGeek

I never say very much about my HS band here in PA, because there isn't really much to say.  We're non-competitive and really just not very good.  We just got a new BD so maybe some of that will change.  But...

We've got some of the band families to go to the Allentown DCI show this Friday evening.  Not one family in the band other than mine has a real knowledge of DCI, or even good marching band in general.

So.  I've got 2 questions for us band geeks smiley.png

First... if there was one show you would show to someone new with the activity, what would it be?

Second... how would you explain DCI to people who are not at all familiar with it?  I've got ideas, but I'd like some input from others as well.
I'm thinking of talking to each of the families at one point on Friday, or before, to let them know what it's all about.

Thanks!

As far as shows to introduce people to DCI, the two shows listed above by lost are great ones, and although it's very early season, I'd add Bluecoats show from this year, it's SUPER accessible, The Beatles pretty much the most famous band of all time, so people are probably going to recognize at least one song. The show is also really fun and high energy, and people love to see other people having fun.

For how to describe DCI to others, I pretty call it Major League Marching. I'll sometimes add that 21 is the maximum age, which often impresses a lot of people that I'll show DCI content to.

Overall maybe try more story centric shows and shows with some more pop culture appeal are more likely to be liked by people with not much Drum Corps experience

https://youtu.be/RAin6_oXPuc

“The Beat My Heart Skipped”

Especially when they play “Say A Little Prayer” I think it’s a very recognizable pop culture piece that a lot of people liked

• 5 weeks later...

I have introduced my mother (professional singer), my sister (opera singer), my wife, my best friend, and a few others to DCI. The key is to find what they like. They may like theater, live music, symphonic music, dance etc.... Find their love and show them examples of bands killing what they absolutely love. Once they see something that is accessible to them in a show is displayed in a format that they haven't considered they may get hooked. 

The Bluecoats "Tilt" is an exciting show. Santa Clara Vanguard "Phantom of the Opera" and The Cadets "Between Angels and Demons" are all great staring points as each is a completely different style.