It is unwatchable.  Is this exactly how it was for Finals?  I was there so I wasn't watching.

Yes, unfortunately. And I agree. Hidalgo was almost impossible to get an accurate read on due to the incredibly poor audio. 

Some stand out groups:

Birdville: Very great showing, going to be one of their strongest seasons in a very long time. Not the loudest band but oh so fantastic ensemble sound. Really love how refined and warm their low brass sound was. Clean this show up visually and we may be hearing from this band at 5a state. This could be in finals...

Churchill: Mush stronger than anticipated. Band looks a little on the smaller side than we are used to seeing from them, but it didn't affect the performance. Fantastic visual run with very few noticeable issues. Music performance was decent, but they could use a bit more volume and refinement. It is always nice to see a band performing at this level despite going through a staff change. See you tonight Churchill. 

Pioneer: Similar to Birdville, not a crazy loud program but they produce some great sounds. Pretty solid group across all captions. One thing I have been missing from this band is a good GE offering. They always perform superbly, they just need to think outside the box a bit more. and I look forward to seeing them tonight. 

Mission: Very pleasantly surprised. For a small group, these guys aren't afraid to use some air. Very solid visual performance, now just refine that ensemble sound. The confidence is there, now just focus it in. We might be seeing this group tonight. We will see...

San Benito: Definetely the best playing group we have seen so far. The last time I had heard from this band was 2014 6A state prelims, so it was very nice to see such a strong performance from them. First big volume producer of the day. Practically a lock for finals, and could be a potential medalist. 

Hidalgo: Solid show. Not much to say other than keep up the momentum. Could be in finals. 

Those are my top 5 right now. Mission had some really great moments but also some very not great moments. But overall, all the potential is there and they have a great swagger and presence on the field that will boost their visual scores.

Agreed. Part of me felt like they were pushing too much for volume when they didn't have the numbers for it, but overall very good showing.