Flip folders

Jeffo

Hello from Australia,

Our band is considering the "Flip Folders" as per Musiciansfriend site. -Grover-Trophy 10 Window Flip Folio Folder.

I would love to hear any feedback from bands that have or currently use the flip folder for their music on the march.

We are undecided due to movement on the lyre and also the pages "flapping" once flipped over.

Any comments would be appreciated.

cheers

Jeff

Unley Concert band

Adelaide Australia

Cool. I didn’t know Marching band was a thing in Australia!

I don’t think bands in the US march with music at all, right? It’s all memorized. I know they use the flip folders in the stands if needed, but I don’t remember ever seeing a band marching on the field with them. Unless it’s a special song for the dance team to do their thing to, and the band hasn’t memorized it.

Cool. I didn’t know Marching band was a thing in Australia!

I don’t think bands in the US march with music at all, right? It’s all memorized. I know they use the flip folders in the stands if needed, but I don’t remember ever seeing a band marching on the field with them. Unless it’s a special song for the dance team to do their thing to, and the band hasn’t memorized it.

Visited your Facebook page. Enjoyed the concerts. Do you march the bagpipes too?

The txbands forum is mostly populated with high school competition bands so when flip folders are used it is during pre-season or rehearsals only.

Most of the students at our school use the Grover you mentioned with plastic inserts for protection.

Our school generally does the same as herbaflerb's, but you'll notice that a lot of students, especially brass, never use them at football games because we have memorized them anyway so we don't have to add the extra weight to our already heavy instruments. Plus, it's a nuisance having to constantly flip through pages of the flip book when you have to hurry up and get set during a football game when you are about to play a song. Our director also asks, however, that when we are learning the show we always have the music with us, so most of us go to the copy machine and size it down so it'll fit in our flip book and bring that out with us. Hope this helps!

Thank you everyone that has replied.

Those that have used them can you tell me if each page that has been flipped flaps and moves whilst marching?

I am concerned that especially in a breeze that the pages will move. Also the weight factor