BOA Houston 2019

Westwood was signed up in 2015 but dropped out very close to the contest. I believe they will make finals here. 

As I was a member of the band that year, I don't think that ever happened unless my memory is just that hazy. It was nearly 4 years ago at this point so maybe I did forget.

Houston is the only BOA shows that consistently has more bands registered than they can accept, since they really don't have any hours in the day to expand it like they have with super regionals. I know it puts BOA staff in a difficult position because using the point system, spots are assigned to those bands that regularly compete in BOA leaving newer bands without a performance slot.

I'm hearing this year enrollment in Houston is already the highest it's ever been (and 2017 had nearly 40 bands enrolled before they were able to encourage several to switch to Midland/McAllen). I think the new venue especially is responsible for drawing an increased number of local Houston groups, many of which presently will be pushed out of a performance slot because of all the groups traveling from Austin/San Antonio/DFW that regularly compete in BOA.

BOA has seen so much growth in Texas which is why they keep adding more and more competitions, but as they continue to add more opportunities, there is growth in both the number of groups competing in BOA events and the number of events each group competes at. Adding Waco was designed to relieve some of the over enrollment in Houston, by giving those Austin/SA/DFW bands another opportunity to compete without traveling to Houston, but it doesn't seem to have worked.

If they continue drawing interest from 40+ bands in Houston each year, I wouldn't be shocked to see BOA try to explore new opportunities in the area, whether it's an expanded regional format that adds some Friday night performances, or perhaps two simultaneous prelims sites like WGI does (theoretically could utilize Rhodes Stadium immediately south of this year's site, Legacy Stadium, for two 20- or 25-band prelims, with top 6 or 7 from each advancing to a 12- or 14-band finals). Another option would be turning it into a full-fledged super regional a week or two before San Antonio.

a new super regional in Texas - - that would rock!!! - or do they split out the competition to 2 separate dates  Conroe and Katy. not sure that would work as the season is already short, but great to see that much interest that they cannot meet the demand.

in the 9 years I have been following BOA in Texas, we have seen the addition of Austin (most competitive regional in the state), McAllen and Midland - keep going - TXbands rock

Waco came back, too.

You have mentioned twice now about Austin being the most competitive regional and I was curious what metric you are using to decide that? Like I agree mostly, but am not so sure that it is as cut-and-dry as you make it seem, especially with how the DFW regional has been the last few years. I might do a little analysis of a few metrics comparing the most competitive regionals, including Austin, DFW, and Houston.

Austin has recently been putting more of its bands into San Antonio finals, and Austin bands heading to Dallas and Conroe on the BOA circuit have often upped their placement relative to their placement at Austin (though consider the confounding variable of the fact that those bands have BOA feedback under their belts already).

It gets to what is meant by "competitive". For me, competitive is more what it takes to succeed (say, make finals) than how bands at one contest place at later contests. At Houston last year, there were 3 bands within 1.1 points of 10th place, but at Austin the gap from 10th to 11th was 1.35 points. So to me the Houston contest in 2018 was more competitive, as there were more finals worthy bands. But each of us has a different metric for this, and that is certainly OK too.

Waco came back, too.

You have mentioned twice now about Austin being the most competitive regional and I was curious what metric you are using to decide that? Like I agree mostly, but am not so sure that it is as cut-and-dry as you make it seem, especially with how the DFW regional has been the last few years. I might do a little analysis of a few metrics comparing the most competitive regionals, including Austin, DFW, and Houston.

as Samuel posted for 2018 -3 DFW finalist in SA,  4 Houston finalist in SA, 6 Austin Finalist in SA 

2017 was 4 from DFW, 6 from Houston, and 7 from Austin.

but that is being driven by costs - Austin is a cheap trip for SA and Austin programs - CTJ has not been back to Conroe in the past 2 seasons and I do not think any SA school has done DFW in about 6 years just from a cost perspective. All of that could change over time as we see more schools that are up and coming or coming back - just my thoughts

Since my definition would require a deeper look.... :D

Houston

11 - Stephen F Austin - DNP

12 - Pearland - 25

13 - College Park - 23

14 - Obra D Tompkins - DNP

15 - Clear Brook - 29

16 - Westfield - DNP

17 - William B Travis - DNP

18 - Katy - DNP

19 - Del Rio - 46

20 - Cinco Ranch - DNP

DFW

11 - Coppell - 18

12 - Keller Central - 30

13 - James Martin - 38

14 - Trinity - DNP

15 - Aledo - 48

16 - McKinney Boyd - DNP

17 - Duncanville - DNP

18 - Byron Nelson - DNP

19 - Forney - DNP

20 - Wylie - 44

Austin

11 - Pflugerville - 39

12 - Carroll - DNP

13 - Westwood - 33

14 - Rouse - 27

15 - Lake Travis - 28

16 - Weiss - 35

17 - Sandra Day O'Connor - 58

18 - New Braunfels - 49

19 - John Paul Stevens - DNP

20 - Wagner - 53

I still don't see this as defining how competitive a contest is, but it is a measure of the yearly quality of the programs attending. I took a quick look at the 20-30+ finishers. The final 3 finishers (21 - 23) from Austin attended, and finished 79, 80, and 84 respectively. Houston had 4 attend, finishing 36, 37, 64, and 69. I didn't see any from DFW, but I may have missed them.

Anyway, it is interesting to see where the attendees ended up by the end of the season. Some made big gains and really improved from the early season regionals, Good stuff by all!

Dawsons' new head director is taking the band to both the Houston regional and the San Antonio super Regional. This is gonna be an exciting season for sure.

I believe this will he their first time attending a super regional.