BOA Waco 2019

Bowie's show is incredible! I am captivated by the story and the artistry. If I had one complaint, as an old-school marching band alum, it would be that the actual "marching band" feels secondary...like they're just there to support the theater on the field. It's visually stunning and I really, really liked it....I just miss the BAND being the star of the show. I'm still trying to catch up to modern day marching band, I suppose.

I posted earlier the only placements we can determine definitively (or at least the range of placements) without insider info right now.

Edit: of course- I was assuming the classes of the finalist bands that werent class medalists, so I could be wrong. I believe that 7L and JJP are AAAA and Richland and BC are AAA.

Alright, my personal placements, excluding Burleson Centennial since I missed them :(

9. JJ Pearce

———

8. Aledo

7. Dripping Springs

6. Richland

———

5. James Martin

4. Seven Lakes

———

3. Waxahachie

———

2. Bowie

1. Keller

I can change my mind on a whim on bands within each marked tier. Lots of competitive performances. Here’s some thoughts on some of the programs on an individual basis.

JJ Pearce: I loved their show aesthetics and the overall ambience. A beautiful show design, and the performers sell it really well. Just the least refined musically and visually out of the 9 in my opinion.

Richland: Unfortunately missed their closer. From what I saw, their show also struck me as entrancing, and beautiful. I think their performance level is above that of 9 and slightly above that of 8-7. Musical balance and refinement keeps them out of the top 5 for me.

James Martin: An ENERGETIC performance with solid performance-driven GE. Really enjoyed the closer; I am a sucker for Wine Dark Sea. They have a lot of opportunities to display blended ensemble sound. I think their visual program will be the factor that ultimately settles them in 5th; I just don’t think it’s as ambitious — or sold as well — as the top 4. Super proud of this group nonetheless! I’ve not heard of this group until now!

Seven Lakes: My alma mater!!! Super proud of them; best run of this show I’ve seen yet. I think this show sits on the opposite end of James Martin in terms of design, but they are similar in performance quality. This show is WILD!! This gives them a lot of opportunity to show off GE, but their visual program is TOUGH, and it’s difficult to perform well! The performers sell it well but they need to clean up! :) However I love love love the show; and of course I’m a sucker for their closer.

Waxahachie: Another AMBITIOUS show design! First time I’ve gotten to see this group ever. This begins the medalist tier in my opinion, based on overall quality in everything. However, I don’t think they’re as refined, especially musically, as the top 2 (HOWEVER — dear lord...those soloists.)

Bowie: I think these guys take visual over Keller, but I still find it hard to believe that their musicality and GE overtake that of Keller’s. I do love their Traveler though! Saw them at Austin, now here — Awesome stuff!!

Keller: I absolutely agreed with Rubisco about their visual program (esp at the closer) struggling, but man do I love what this show design allows the Keller band to show off. Just constant opportunities to show off the ensemble cleanliness; they will be rewarded!! Cleanliness = Effect.

Still learning the odds-and-ends of this activity as a spectator. This is my first year doing this. Take my comments with a grain of salt! Doing this is an invigorating — and frankly fun — mental exercise. So glad I was able to watch finals today!!

Final Results
1. 87.450 James Bowie H.S., TX

2. 85.600 Keller H.S., TX

3. 84.300 Waxahachie H.S., TX

4. 84.000 James Martin H.S., TX

5. 82.925 Seven Lakes H.S., TX

6. 80.850 Aledo H.S., TX

7. 79.000 Burleson Centennial H.S., TX

8. 78.800 Dripping Springs H.S., TX

9. 77.900 J.J. Pearce H.S., TX

10. 77.30 Richland H.S., TX

Outstanding Music Performance - Keller H.S., TX