Best show to not make state

Lately, we have been seeing alot of talk on the forums about the best show we have ever seen, but I have wondered lately, what is the best show in history to never make state? Id love to hear people's opinions on this! My interest in this topic was sparked when I watched Clear Brook perform in area finals this past season, as well as when I watched Haltom perform in SA prelims. both very great shows which didn't move past area. What do yall think?

Tomball Memorial had a very interesting concept this year with Clair de Loon, but only managed to take 6th at Area. Still very impressive considering that they’re new to 6A and were up against schools like The Woodlands, Oak Ridge, and North Shore

Yes, I saw this at region 13. Very solid program. Very sad that area F only took 4 bands, as I felt quite a few more were worthy of moving on.

But for the "bad judge" rule, we would be talking about Leander's Polarity right now, the one that finished 5th at State.

Didnt Leander miss state a few years back as well, back when they were still 5a?

They did in 2013. Vandegrift, Cedar Park, Vista Ridge and Connally advanced. Dripping Springs and Leander were 5th and 6th, I'm not sure of the order. Vandy, CP and Vista swept the medals at State and Connally was also a Finalist.

As much as I would like to say they were robbed of a state spot that year, I really loved Connally that year. On the flip side, If Leander DID advance that year, I think they would have placed higher in state finals than Connally did.

One of my favorite shows that didn't make state (as an alum, guilty with bias) has to be Westwood 2012. Their show Finding Balance was one point behind Round Rock for making state and it was a beginning of a growth that the group is still going through. Both Westwood and Jack C. Hays had fantastic shows this year that I feel like could've done well at state if more bands advanced. UIL, please do something about Area D, it's too top heavy haha. 

Timber Creek this year was absolutely stunning and it's a shame that UIL only takes 1 from a tie because I think TC deserved state more than anyone else in that area (barring maybe Waxahachie and Keller, of course). On the outside of Area B finals, Richland also had a lot going for them and I'm kinda sad their season was rougher than previous years from a number standpoint because they were amazing. UIL, also fix Area B while you're at it, it's too dense. 

Personally, (although a little biased), I really liked Richland's 2014 show, Lumisphere. I thought it was a great show with little details that really made it special. I still love the use of Harrisons Dream and the guard uniforms were always amazing. They had great music but drill could have been better. Still, they didn't make area finals but I believe they could have done well at state. They placed 16th at BOA SA so they could have certainly been close to finals at state. I'm still surprised how they missed area finals but I loved the show nonetheless. 

But for the "bad judge" rule, we would be talking about Leander's Polarity right now, the one that finished 5th at State.

I think the fact that this happened speaks to UIL's shortcomings on a few fronts.

They did in 2013. Vandegrift, Cedar Park, Vista Ridge and Connally advanced. Dripping Springs and Leander were 5th and 6th, I'm not sure of the order. Vandy, CP and Vista swept the medals at State and Connally was also a Finalist.

Vista Ridge won, Followed by I think Vandegrift and Cedar Park. Connally was fourth.

One of my favorite shows that didn't make state (as an alum, guilty with bias) has to be Westwood 2012. Their show Finding Balance was one point behind Round Rock for making state and it was a beginning of a growth that the group is still going through. Both Westwood and Jack C. Hays had fantastic shows this year that I feel like could've done well at state if more bands advanced. UIL, please do something about Area D, it's too top heavy haha. 

Timber Creek this year was absolutely stunning and it's a shame that UIL only takes 1 from a tie because I think TC deserved state more than anyone else in that area (barring maybe Waxahachie and Keller, of course). On the outside of Area B finals, Richland also had a lot going for them and I'm kinda sad their season was rougher than previous years from a number standpoint because they were amazing. UIL, also fix Area B while you're at it, it's too dense. 

Finding Balance is a show that would have made Westwood a BOA Finalist, and I say that with the highest confidence.

I think a tie-breaker rule similar to BOA for advancement would be a good move. I personally cannot wait for Timber Creek to make it to the SMBC. It wouldn't shock me at all if they also made finals their first go-round. I don't think a single band, barring perhaps Prosper, is improving at their pace right now. It's not Cedar Ridge/CTJ/Vandegrift levels of lightning fast, but their dedicated and steady year on year improvement in its own way might be more impressive. Consider me one of their biggest fans right now.

I think the fact that this happened speaks to UIL's shortcomings on a few fronts.

Vista Ridge won, Followed by I think Vandegrift and Cedar Park. Connally was fourth.

Finding Balance is a show that would have made Westwood a BOA Finalist, and I say that with the highest confidence.

I think a tie-breaker rule similar to BOA for advancement would be a good move. I personally cannot wait for Timber Creek to make it to the SMBC. It wouldn't shock me at all if they also made finals their first go-round. I don't think a single band, barring perhaps Prosper, is improving at their pace right now. It's not Cedar Ridge/CTJ/Vandegrift levels of lightning fast, but their dedicated and steady year on year improvement in its own way might be more impressive. Consider me one of their biggest fans right now.

I just watched Finding Balance for the first time on youtube, and I gotta say I agree. Super clean, loud show. I can also confidently say they easily woulda made finals at Conroe that year. 

• 9 months later...

2002:  Leander and Cedar Park.  Though, in retrospect, it saved them from enduring the Mud Bowl in Waco at state that year.

They were both 5A (highest class at the time).  This was back when all of ATX was in an area with Region 9 (The Woodlands, Spring ISD, etc.).  

Leander's show was soooo good - very Russian - Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, and Russlan and Ludmila by Glinka - fantastic show - very technical woodwind stuff.

Cedar Park also had just moved up from 4A and was fresh off their first state title in 2001.  Show was Artwork of the Mind and was basically the whole Barber Violin Concerto arranged for marching band.  It was signature voluminous, balanced, gorgeous CP sound.  And, the oboe solo in the ballad was plaintive and emotional.  

4 to state from Area D that year.  Spring, TWHS, Bowie, and Westlake. All good and interesting shows, but I honestly would have bumped any of them except TWHS for CP and Leander that year.  Leander ended up 9th in a very competitive final at BOA SA and CP went on to take the title at Duncanville, so they ended their seasons nicely.

How so? Westlake earned every bit of that Third place finish at Area and state advancement.

Well I can’t say I remember what I was thinking so precisely nine months later. But it was probably something along these lines:

I tend to be pretty unsympathetic to the idea that more bands should be sent from various competitive areas—especially when the argument is made in response to areas that are less competitive at SMBC that send more bands. Especially considering the fact that the 6th place band in Area B or C or the 7th place band at Area D likely wasn’t going to make finals anyway. However, if a band places extremely well in state finals or even wins, but barely advances out of area (CP 2011), or only did for an exception (Leander 2018), then I think that means the area stage isn’t getting it right.

Leander was 5th that year at Area or "1st out" and this was my older sons Senior Year.  It was painful.  They were also 15th (1st out) at BOA SA that year which added to the pain.  However, the very next year was the year Leander started to take off so it all worked out.