2019 BOA Dallas/ Fort Worth Regional

Maybe Flomo was more precise on their drill? Or maybe they have a complete show so everything made sense on the field?

I commented this earlier but I think Hebron looks remarkably good this early in the season from a visual standpoint, respectively to past seasons. That being said, Flower Mound the past few years has really hit gold with visual. I can see why they are hard to beat.. their kids move at such a high level, no matter if it’s marching or body movement.

Music, though? Give me a break..

Sorry guys, I just like looking at scores across the board. And like to see how tight scores are in each competition. And try to see how competitive future competitions maybe. It honestly gets me excited.

It’s definitely exciting, but the score inflations/differences come down to how the judges manage scores at each respective contest — it’s very reactionary for the judges, and never “oh BOA admin says all regionals have to hit this score ceiling this week/can’t give out above (insert score).” I think people just want you to conserve your energy as we all have been there haha. It’s all a big waiting game til SA

FloMo definitely has a more complete show right now, but the performance levels were not that drastic. In that regard I thought Hebron was slightly better.

To me it always seems like Hebron is a late bloomer, especially since it didn't seem like they played much of their show? That might just be me and I've never been able to figure out if that has an effect on Hebron's scores in comparison to the more complete shows, but maybe it could be? I'm in agreement with a lot of people, it didn't at all seem to me like there was a big difference between Flomo and Hebron except for the prop mishap in the opener or whatever that was. I'm obviously not a judge, but I at least have been around marching band for long enough to know that an almost 2.5 point gap between these two is hard to justify in my opinion. Flomo's GE is out the wazoo like always and visually they're a little ahead of Hebron, but I just always find myself believing that Hebron plays some of the hardest music of anyone in the country and plays it STUPID well. 

With all things being said, congrats to flomo, they deserved it, I was super happy to see how great Marcus is, I'm glad they're still super strong. The Marcus 2012 show is still the most dominant and amazing show I have ever seen.

I commented this earlier but I think Hebron looks remarkably good this early in the season from a visual standpoint, respectively to past seasons. That being said, Flower Mound the past few years has had really hit gold with visual. I can see why they are hard to beat.. their kids move at such a high level, no matter if it’s marching or body movement.

Music, though? Give me a break..

I do agree with what you said. Again I haven’t seen the competition this year so my opinion won’t be very valid. But I’ve been at these competitions several years. And my opinion on Hebron every year was how amazing their sound is especially their brass. And visually usually very very clean. But when I see flower mound, they do have loads of money to throw into props and do very well in visual. But I never hear that very warm gracious sound that Hebron usually makes.

Scores for everyone else besides FloMo just seem low....

I know scores are relative and I shouldn’t compare across years but...last year Hebron had an 86.45 in PRELIMS with a horrible run because of the microphone clarinet mishap. This year they have 2 full points lower in FINALS. Keller also 2+ points lower in finals this year. I just don’t see the huge gap between FloMo and Hebron. And Hebron so much closer to Marcus and Keller than to FloMo??? oh well , I still loved every performance tonight. That’s the most important thing.

General effect - flower mound

Music - flower mound

Visual - flower mound

1st - 86.7 flower mound

2nd - 84.45 hebron

3rd - 83.4 - Marcus

4th - 83.1 - Keller

5th - 82.35 LD bell

6th - 79 - wakeland

7th - 77.95 - Coppell

8th - 76.0 waxahachie

9th - 75.05 Keller central

9th - 75.05 - timber creek

Tied but Keller central has higher general effect

Central was announced in 10th, Timber as 9th. Are you sure you didn't get that reversed? (Announcer did indeed say that ties we're broken by higher general effect score)

Central was announced in 10th, Timber as 9th. Are you sure you didn't get that reversed? (Announcer did indeed say that ties we're broken by higher general effect score)

Yeah it was weird how it was announced. He announced Central first and then iirc said that Timber tied them with the tie being broken by KC having higher GE. Of course I could have gone dyslexic when I was taking notes. I guess we'll have to wait for the results to confirm.

I sit corrected. GE Results show:

TC 44.800

KC 44.400

Edited by paulhhs

With all things being said, congrats to flomo, they deserved it, I was super happy to see how great Marcus is, I'm glad they're still super strong. The Marcus 2012 show is still the most dominant and amazing show I have ever seen.

I appreciate Marcus' ensemble playing and you can tell the work from concert season translates every year. Also speaking of 2012, I'm lucky to have watched that show- I still don't care for the concept, but if a HS could ever execute perfection, that was the closest ever and to me it always will be.

I hate talking about scores but I’m still so shocked by that gap between FloMo and Hebron. I’m no judge, but I though that Hebron was out of this world!!!! (no pun intended :P)

I guess that bodes well for Marcus, Keller, and Bell being closer to Hebron than Hebron was to Flower Mound...because this is the best Hebron band ever in my opinion, definitely much better than last year.

Also, Hebron, Marcus, and Keller have incomplete shows. So I’d fully expect them to close the gap on FloMo eventually.

I hate talking about scores but I’m still so shocked by that gap between FloMo and Hebron. I’m no judge, but I though that Hebron was out of this world!!!! (no pun intended :P)

I guess that bodes well for Marcus, Keller, and Bell being closer to Hebron than Hebron was to Flower Mound...because this is the best Hebron band ever in my opinion, definitely much better than last year.

Also, Hebron, Marcus, and Keller have incomplete shows. So I’d fully expect them to close the gap on FloMo eventually.

I disagree, I still believe 2015 was Hebron's best year (entertainment wise) because of the amazing sax solo. It was absolutely incredible and I would pay money for just that moment to be played again.

I disagree, I still believe 2015 was Hebron's best year (entertainment wise) because of the amazing sax solo. It was absolutely incredible and I would pay money for just that moment to be played again.

True, that is one of the most legendary BOA moments of all time. And Hebron’s ballad this year isn’t pulling me in as much, but I thought this year was far and away the best first competition performance that Hebron has ever had.

Prosper's Visual scores are what held them back. At HEB I saw them and I agree they were very sloppy however their music was great and I felt moved. I guess that comes with having no props to hide behind. Their show is one that will blossom towards the end of the season if they can pull it off. I became a Prosper fan last year because they were the only TX band at nats.

True, that is one of the most legendary BOA moments of all time. And Hebron’s ballad this year isn’t pulling me in as much, but I thought this year was far and away the best first competition performance that Hebron has ever had.

So far I'm not feeling Hebron's ballad this year either. But the rest of the show completely had me. They sounded out of this world and I am so happy I got to experience them tonight. 

If I could combine Hebron's 2017 opener, 2015 ballad, and 2016 closer into one show, I would be set for life. I would do the same for flomo, but the Surreal show just is unmatched...

If I could combine Hebron's 2017 opener, 2015 ballad, and 2016 closer into one show, I would be set for life. I would do the same for flomo, but the Surreal show just is unmatched...

Hebron 2016 is overall so underrated. That brass fanfare starting the closer is absolutely godly. Surreal is probably my favorite show ever.