2019 BOA Dallas/ Fort Worth Regional

Timber Creek was good! I was very pleasantly surprised with their guard! There are definitely some brass individuals overplaying but the overall sound is very impressive and passionate! There is also some demanding music and drill. The drill needed more cleaning (especially foot timing) but I think they have a good chance of performing tonight.

They should lose points for that. Might as well march in shorts then.

the Band director noticed how the heat is affecting the kids. Being in those black pants is already hot enough. Plus marching on the turf football field, the temperature is 10°F hotter than it is in the stands.

No contest is worth more than the safety of the band.

Maybe I have way too high of an expectation for FloMo but I really wasn’t feeling most of the show. The closer was insanely good but the brass sound in the beginning was often raucous?? I just feel like it took a long time for me to find something I really loved but that closer was absolutely phenomenal! They did seem to have the whole show on the field which is different for them??? The guard was fantastic as usual but thematically not my favorite. Hebron is my favorite to win this one definitely.

These are my (probably very wrong) opinions on who the finalist contenders are. I separated them into tiers because there’s no way I’m trying to predict placements. Also, I was switching back and forth between DFW and Houston so I only put down bands that I actually watched. The order in any tier could go any way.

Medalist locks:

Hebron

FloMo

Top Half locks:

Keller

Marcus

Locks:

LD Bell

Waxahachie

Prosper

Wakeland

Fighting for last few spots

Coppell

Timber Creek

Keller Central

Would not be surprised to steal a spot:

Owasso

Forney

Trinity

Aledo

Carroll Senior

Maybe I have way too high of an expectation for FloMo but I really wasn’t feeling most of the show. The closer was insanely good but the brass sound in the beginning was often raucous?? I just feel like it took a long time for me to find something I really loved but that closer was absolutely phenomenal! They did seem to have the whole show on the field which is different for them??? The guard was fantastic as usual but thematically not my favorite. Hebron is my favorite to win this one definitely.

I’m feeling the exact same way. Took the words out of my mouth.

Just FYI...The dissonance at the beginning of Flower Mound's show is intentional.  The chords eventually become melodic.

Quite honestly, sometimes this is even harder than playing in tune. Purposeful dissonance is definitely not easy. I'm glad someone pointed this out, I wasn't able to figure that out on my own, but I'm also not a judge so what do I know.

Preliminary Results:

AAAA:

1.Flower Mound

2.Hebron

3.Marcus

Music: Hebron

Visual: Flower Mound

Outstanding General Effect: Flower Mound

—————————————————————

AAA:

1.Wakeland

2.Waxahachie

3.Aledo

Music: Waxahachie

Visual: Wakeland

Outstanding General Effect: Wakeland

————————————————————————-

AA:

1.Forney

2.Paragould

3.Anna

Music: Forney

Visual: Forney

Outstanding General Effect: Forney

—————————————————————-

A:

1.Krum

Music: Krum

Visual: Krum

Outstanding General Effect: Krum

Wow. Prosper didnt make finals. That means they were not in the top 11.

Obviously I’m not a judge, but I thought they were quite good, maybe lacking GE but...

Also I didn’t anticipate Wakeland beating Waxahachie but it makes sense based on the captions.

The finalists were really spread out over the day so I could see finals playing out much differently than prelims.