2019 5A Area I

Incredible feat from Willis! I am overjoyed that Porter made it!! At the same time i'm devastated Galena Park didn't advance. 

I'll post preliminary scores just because...

1. Tomball

2. Willis

3. Galena Park

4. Crosby

5. Porter

6. College Station 

7. Grand Oaks

8. Magnolia

9. A&M Consolidated

10. Dayton

11. Cleveland 

12. Port-Neches Groves

13. Huntsville

14. Magnolia West

15. Vidor

16. Caney Creek

17. Kingwood Park

18. New Caney

I was able to see some of the finalists bands and I thought...

Crosby was definitely clean music and marching wise, first time I had seen them. The Also Sprach Zarathustra worked as a great opener with great dynamic contrast and balance and I loved the Romeo and Juliet rendition! The Elsa's Procession (I believe is what it was) brought the show to a great finish with great fundamentals as well. Their marching was very clean as always.

Tomball's show was pleasant to watch as their uniforms and props gave a good aesthetic, but their marching (I think at least) was also clean and I enjoyed their drill. Sound wise, they were definitely of the most notable having a big sound and great woodwind moments. I definitely saw them in the top 3.

Galena Park was incredible! I thought they had the best sound of all, having not only power but a high level of maturity and balance. Dynamic contrast was on point, and I can't get enough of that Mahler's 2nd in the beginning! Flute and sax soloists (I'm a little fuzzy on whether there was another soloist/s) were amazing. Their marching and visuals were overall very good as well, but hopefully they can kick it up a notch in finals. Definitely my favorite.

That contest was CRAZY!  I too am shocked Galena Park didn't make it.  They were so good and were amazing in finals as well.  I guarantee you they will be back with a vengeance in two years.  

Porter's finals run was just stunning.  I knew it would be close between them and the other advancers once they were done.  Willis, that was unexpected.  They came up from behind.  I thought Tomball had it!  

I am not really feeling good about the judging at this contest.  I'm not saying the three that advanced didn't deserve it, but Galena Park should have advanced to state.  Sadly, it just didn't work out.  The state contest is less than with out that amazing show being there.  

That was an amazing contest yesterday.  Best of luck to our advancers!  

We desperately needed more finals spots. I thought that everyone in the top 7 delivered amazing performances, but both Magnolia and A&M Consolidate gave finalist-quality performances as well. I was shocked at neither making finals

I completely agree about needing more finalist spots, and about both Magnolia and A&M deserving a spot in finals. At the same time, even as much as 1 more state advancing spot would've been great. 

I drove to see the Area E contest as it was a little bit  loser than the Area I contest from where I live. At least their was a Finals performance for Area I - Area E was a one and done that started at 10AM with forty-five degree weather than warmed up to later as the contest went on  :blink: 

Having seen the Magnolia and A&M Consolidated shows at other contests, I'm surprised that neither of them made finals at the Area I contest - they both have solid shows this year and perform them well! 

I didn't get to see Magnolia perform, but I too was shocked at not hearing their name for finals. Did they have a satisfying run to their show?

I did feel like they had a great run. Being honest I’m obviously partial to them since my daughter is in their band lol but I do feel we had a great run. I thought Porter was amazing.

Saturday was a great day! Sincere congrats from College Station to all the advancing bands - we know you'll represent Area I well at State!

I echo the above comments about judging ... not sure I quite understand how all of that works. We were surprised by some of the results for sure, and definitely 100% agree that it is a terrible shame that A&M Consolidated and Magnolia, who both had beautiful, well executed shows, deserved a finals slot, were not able to perform. I hope UIL will change the rules so finals are always at least 10 bands - what's the harm? Everyone is already there, why not let three more bands perform? These kids were tirelessly - I calculated over 30,000 hours of rehearsal for our band this marching season! I also hope UIL will change it so Area competitions happen every year.

Our kids left it all out on the field and we could not be more proud of their performance. While we didn't advance, we did make it to finals for the first time in school history, and it was somewhat of a redemption after hoping we would two years ago. (Our power failed and we had to perform our entire show without a front ensemble or soloists. It was a bad day...)

We were lucky to draw the final performance slot, but unfortunately the announcers asked the other bands to leave the stadium and begin assembling for the retreat. (Our show is available on YouTube if you want to see it.)

Again, sincere congrats to all! It was a honor to compete against all of you! I look forward to watching state next week and am already looking forward to next season!

We all loved y’all’s show! When you guys didn’t advance, we were sure we were done for

And we love y'alls show - we knew you guys would advance for sure.  We appreciate the classy remarks from your fans, who were very gracious to us in the stands. And also several of your fellow students were very complimentary to our kids. We'll be rooting for you next week - go get 'em!