2019 5A Area I

• 2 weeks later...

I think that's a pretty solid prediction. How does Crosby appear to be fairing this season? Is there any knowledge to their placement at the Galena Park Marching Festival?

I haven’t seen anything, but I’d say if they’re performing with the level of cleanliness they usually do, they have a good chance of upsetting any of those 4 (completely forgot about them. This area’s got some competitors!)

I haven’t seen anything, but I’d say if they’re performing with the level of cleanliness they usually do, they have a good chance of upsetting any of those 4 (completely forgot about them. This area’s got some competitors!)

There is definitely notable, and may I say intense, competition here (especially now that a maximum of 4 groups will be advancing to state). The odds aren't against them for sure, but A&M Consolidated does seem to have surpassed them at Galena. It'll be exciting to see how this plays out!

4/5 Region 10 5A bands advanced but only 2 will go to Area which are Port-Neches Groves and Dayton because since Vidor and Nederland are military, they never go past Region.

Edit: I just read a post that said that Vidor will go to Area, so maybe they will give Area a shot this year. 

4/5 Region 10 5A bands advanced but only 2 will go to Area which are Port-Neches Groves and Dayton because since Vidor and Nederland are military, they never go past Region.

Edit: I just read a post that said that Vidor will go to Area, so maybe they will give Area a shot this year. 

There are 24 bands on the Area I Draw list, but Beaumont United is scheduled on the Region 10 schedule as "AAAAAA-SV" so they are not competing in 5A for whatever reason.  We need 20 bands to advance to get 4 slots to State.  By my count (please correct me if wrong), 1 did not advance from Region 11 South, 1 did not advance from Region 10, all advanced from Region 33. 

We're at 21 assuming Vidor and Nederland go.  If Vidor goes and Nederland doesn't, we're at 20.

Vidor, please go to area!

Region 9 - Hope you all advance!

I was always under the impression that bands dont actually have to compete at area to be counted in the total for state advancement spots? They just have to qualify. Is that true?

Nice catch!  I went and looked it up, and the verbiage does state QUALIFY! 

(2) 5A/6A Certification. In conferences 5A/6A the music area shall certify the two bands receiving the highest ranking in each conference to the state marching band contest. Should fifteen or more bands qualify for advancement in a single conference for the area contest, one band for each five bands that qualified for advancement to the contest shall be certified for advancement to the state contest.

Also of interest....If 20 or more bands participate, the finals round will be the top TEN bands.  If 19 or less, it's the top SEVEN!  I did not know that...

(2) 14 to 19 Bands. If there are 14 to 19 bands, the top 7 bands will advance from the preliminary round to the final round. In addition any band below seventh place that receives a ranking of three or higher from at least two of the music judges and one of the marching judges will also advance to the final round. The two marching judges and two of the music judges will change captions. There will be a drum major retreat at the end of preliminary round to announce the results. Bands not advancing to the final round will receive a participant award. At the end of the final round there will be a drum major retreat where each band will receive a finalist award and the names of those bands advancing to the state marching band contest will be announced. Under extenuating circumstances such as severe weather or limited participation, the contest officials in consultation with the State Director of Music may declare the preliminary round to be the final contest.

(3) 20 Or More Bands. If there are 20 or more bands, the top 10 bands will advance from the preliminary round to the final round. In addition any band below tenth place that receives a ranking of three or higher from at least two of the music judges and one of the marching judges will also advance to the final round. The two marching judges and two of the music judges will change captions. There will be a drum major retreat at the end of the preliminary round to announce the results. Bands not advancing to final round will receive a participant award. At the end of the final round there will be a drum major retreat where each band will receive a finalist award and the names of those bands advancing to the state marching band contest will be announced. Under extenuating circumstances such as severe weather or limited participation, the contest officials in consultation with the State Director of Music may declare the preliminary round to be the final contest.

Porter won 5A at Galena Park and came in 6th overall at Lonestar Preview (placing ahead of solid 6A groups like Klein Oak and College Park and made a strong push towards dethroning some well known groups like Spring, while being well above some of their key competition; Willis). I've heard lots of good things from some friends of mine about this band recently and feel they have a strong chance of winning this area. Porter advanced last go-round as well.

Aside from Willis (2nd in 5A @ GP, 10th overall @ Lonestar) and Tomball (4th @ Katy overall) who both advanced last time as well, I think College Station HS (1st in 5A at Blinn Contest) and A&M Consolidated (3rd in 5A @ GP) both have a good chance of advancing.  Huntsville, Vidor and Nederland are all some of the strongest military bands in the state and could challenge for spots. Magnolia has been showing potential as well after a recent HD change, placing surprisingly well at BOA Houston (27th; shoulder to shoulder with Westfield, Cy Falls & Langham Creek) and BOA Waco (18th in Music, 18th in Visual including a 12th place visual score from VPI) as well as placing 8th overall in finals at Katy.  Crosby is a loose cannon (didn't class-medal at Galena this cycle despite advancing to state last cycle) but could pull through and advance in the endgame.

Porter won 5A at Galena Park and came in 6th overall at Lonestar Preview (placing ahead of solid 6A groups like Klein Oak and College Park and made a strong push towards dethroning some well known groups like Spring, while being well above some of their key competition; Willis). I've heard lots of good things from some friends of mine about this band recently and feel they have a strong chance of winning this area. Porter advanced last go-round as well.

Aside from Willis (2nd in 5A @ GP, 10th overall @ Lonestar) and Tomball (4th @ Katy overall) who both advanced last time as well, I think College Station HS (1st in 5A at Blinn Contest) and A&M Consolidated (3rd in 5A @ GP) both have a good chance of advancing.  Huntsville, Vidor and Nederland are all some of the strongest military bands in the state and could challenge for spots. Magnolia has been showing potential as well after a recent HD change, placing surprisingly well at BOA Houston (27th; shoulder to shoulder with Westfield, Cy Falls & Langham Creek) and BOA Waco (18th in Music, 18th in Visual including a 12th place visual score from VPI) as well as placing 8th overall in finals at Katy.  Crosby is a loose cannon (didn't class-medal at Galena this cycle despite advancing to state last cycle) but could pull through and advance in the endgame.

Actually, Galena Park won first place at the GPISD festival, but were not eligible for any awards since they were hosting.  All but one judge had them in first place.  Porter was second in the rankings (Which is awesome by the way).  The way I see it, based on UIL contest results the three bands that will likely advance from area are Galena Park, Porter and Tomball.  Willis and Magnolia are likely the next two possibilities and Crosby should do well.  I suspect the results in prelims will not be the results in finals because every single one of these bands are incredible.  I suspect one of them can make finals in the lower tier in at state.  These Houston bands are starting to get really good really fast.  

Actually, Galena Park won first place at the GPISD festival, but were not eligible for any awards since they were hosting. All but one judge had them in first place. Porter was second in the rankings (Which is awesome by the way). The way I see it, based on UIL contest results the three bands that will likely advance from area are Galena Park, Porter and Tomball. Willis and Magnolia are likely the next two possibilities and Crosby should do well. I suspect the results in prelims will not be the results in finals because every single one of these bands are incredible. I suspect one of them can make finals in the lower tier in at state. These Houston bands are starting to get really good really fast.

I agree that GP has a great chance at advancing, but the thing keeping me from having them as a 100% lock is their finish about 1.5 points behind Magnolia at Katy Marching Festival. They’re a great band doing great things, and of course there’s always the chance they just had a bad run that day, but it makes me a bit wary

I agree that GP has a great chance at advancing, but the thing keeping me from having them as a 100% lock is their finish about 1.5 points behind Magnolia at Katy Marching Festival. They’re a great band doing great things, and of course there’s always the chance they just had a bad run that day, but it makes me a bit wary

The Katy contest is on a totally different sheet and scoring criteria than UIL.  I've seen every band in this area this year a few times.  Galena Park designed their show around the UIL sheet and it looks like Porter did as well.  What held Galena Park back at Katy was color guard visual design.  Their guard was considerably weaker than all of the other finalists.  I saw GP at UIL this past weekend and they are much improved from Katy right along with Porter.  Magnolia is fantastic, but they do not have the musical design package that GP and Porter have.  When you combine difficulty with a high level of performance those bands tend to win in the end.  I wouldn't try to use Katy results for the area contest.  At no point will the panel at area have the kind of scrutiny on a show in a way a BOA-ish sheet will have.  When it comes to pure music performance I foresee Galena Park and Porter at the top this area with either of them on top.  I'll give Galena Park the edge because their ensemble sound is pretty undeniable.  It's going to be a crazy weekend in North Houston!  It would not surprise me to see Galena Park, Porter, and Tomball as the advancers from this area.  These three bands are doing exactly what UIL is asking for them to do.  Magnolia could edge out Tomball in the clean department however.  

Looks like 5A Results will be announced sometime between 5:30 - 6:00 or so.  The first 5A band starts at 3:00 and the final starts at 5:15.

5A VARSITY BANDS

GRAND OAKS 2:15 A 2:45 2:55 3:00
CANEY CREEK 2:30 B 3:00 3:10 3:15
MONTGOMERY 2:45 A 3:15 3:25 3:30
CLEVELAND 3:00 B 3:30 3:40 3:45
MAGNOLIA WEST 3:15 A 3:45 3:55 4:00
LAKE CREEK 3:30 B 4:00 4:10 4:15
MAGNOLIA 3:45 A 4:15 4:25 4:30
TOMBALL 4:00 B 4:30 4:40 4:45
HUNTSVILLE 4:15 A 4:45 4:55 5:00
WILLIS 4:30 B 5:00 5:10 5:15

DINNER BREAK – ANNOUNCE 5A RESULTS