New, growing schools

LostChoirGuy

There seems to be a pretty clear trend that most of the new upcoming bands in Texas are schools that split off of already good programs in growing areas. Examples include Vandegrift, CTJ, Timber Creek, and Hendrickson. Over the last couple of years we have had schools like Rouse and Weiss open that look like they will soon be competitive.

I would like to compile a list of

1) The new schools that have already been built that are going to become 5A or 6A once they have all grades.

2) Areas where new high schools have been announced in the near future that may be of interest for the future of marching band.

3) Places that are growing quickly enough that a new school may be coming in the near future based on growth projections.

I remember looking on the Round Rock ISD interactive zoning map and seeing 2 future high schools. One in between Early College and Stony Point and another  north of McNeil and between Westwood, and Round Rock. Those could be promising in the next decade, especially with the second one, because it will be right by Kelly Reeves.

Well I can tell you I saw Frisco Memorial High School perform at UIL in their inaugural marching band season I believe. 
They performed as a Non-Varsity band as I believe the are just 9/10th graders.  Very impressive for their first year.   Much
like Lebanon Trail, and they too have awesome support for their program it appears.    

Well I can tell you I saw Frisco Memorial High School perform at UIL in their inaugural marching band season I believe. 

They performed as a Non-Varsity band as I believe the are just 9/10th graders.  Very impressive for their first year.   Much

like Lebanon Trail, and they too have awesome support for their program it appears.    

Frisco Memorial has juniors as well.

There seems to be a pretty clear trend that most of the new upcoming bands in Texas are schools that split off of already good programs in growing areas. Examples include Vandegrift, CTJ, Timber Creek, and Hendrickson. Over the last couple of years we have had schools like Rouse and Weiss open that look like they will soon be competitive.

I would like to compile a list of

1) The new schools that have already been built that are going to become 5A or 6A once they have all grades.

2) Areas where new high schools have been announced in the near future that may be of interest for the future of marching band.

3) Places that are growing quickly enough that a new school may be coming in the near future based on growth projections.

Considering the insane growth of the town, Princeton ISD will be building a new high school in the next 5-10 years. Nothing announced yet. From reading the "board notes" PISD sends out after every board meeting, PISD wants to go the Frisco route keeping their high schools in 5A. Next year PISD will be opening their 5th elementary school and second junior high.

Yep. Frisco ISD designs all of its schools to remain 5A.

Sort of a tangent, but this ties in to one of my pet peeves - people who move to Allen, then complain about the high school being so big and demanding that Allen build another high school.  I always ask them why they didn't buy a house a mile north in Frisco.

Sort of a tangent, but this ties in to one of my pet peeves - people who move to Allen, then complain about the high school being so big and demanding that Allen build another high school.  I always ask them why they didn't buy a house a mile north in Frisco.

I feel like the state should have a limit on how big high schools can be. I feel like being in a big school actually hurts a student's education, as students can feel lost in the crowd and the teachers have less one-on-one interaction with students who need that time. I have a theory that bigger schools lead to more school shootings, as teachers and other students have less interaction time with students who are headed down that path and don't recognize the signs that that student is about to do that and can't get the student the help he/she needs.

I feel like the state should have a limit on how big high schools can be. I feel like being in a big school actually hurts a student's education, as students can feel lost in the crowd and the teachers have less one-on-one interaction with students who need that time. I have a theory that bigger schools lead to more school shootings, as teachers and other students have less interaction time with students who are headed down that path and don't recognize the signs that that student is about to do that and can't get the student the help he/she needs.

I disagree, and I don't think statistics will support your theory.  The student/teacher ratio at Allen is the same as smaller high schools, so students have just as much one-on-one interaction with teachers.

I disagree, and I don't think statistics will support your theory.  The student/teacher ratio at Allen is the same as smaller high schools, so students have just as much one-on-one interaction with teachers.

I go to Princeton, which has an enrollment around 1200 (I've heard as high as 1500, but I don't know how reliable that figure is) and my mom thinks that is still too big. She went to school in the late 80s at Quitman (small town in East TX) and she says Princeton is too big because the teachers don' know the kids, as in know a lot about their life, what they are going through, involved in the community, etc., not just names to faces and a few fun facts. I went to Texarkana Pleasant Grove my freshman year (2016) which has an enrollment around 700, and my mom says that was better but not good enough. I think what it is is that my mom's opinion influenced my own opinion

Oh, yeah, if you move there and then complain, that's on you.

Those of us on the outside, however, are free to criticize it all we want.   :D

• 7 months later...

I just watched Daniel Montoya’s video tour of the new Hays CISD high school, Johnson HS. Amazing facility and incredible band hall. I bet we’ll be hearing more from this new school and it’s band in the coming years.

The only peculiar thing is, they are the Johnson Jaguars. Just like CTJ. Fortunately their colors are vastly different (black and gold), but still that could get a bit confusing.

Anyway, it’s a gorgeous and impressive new school. I know those kids are excited to attend high school there in a few short weeks!

Here’s the video tour.