2019 BOA Grand National Championships

My favorite show design that is overlooked is without a doubt Vista Ridges 2016 show, A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow. Beautiful selections. We were on the topic of our favorite Leander shows so I’ll sneak in some of my off topic thoughts as well. I was also a big fan of their 2015, Orion. I enjoyed Idatarod quite a bit too actually. I suppose I’m just a fan of whatever was happening at Vista Ridges design meetings.

This is a pipe dream of mine, I want Vista Ridge to play A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow again. I want them to play the selections in that entire show again. It was so effective to me. With the overhaul in directors and more depth in talent than ever before it could come out to be an amazing show. I feel the same with Orion actually, and yes I do still stand that Iditarod was ahead of its time.

My favorite show design that is overlooked is without a doubt Vista Ridges 2016 show, A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow. Beautiful selections. We were on the topic of our favorite Leander shows so I’ll sneak in some of my off topic thoughts as well. I was also a big fan of their 2015, Orion. I enjoyed Idatarod quite a bit too actually. I suppose I’m just a fan of whatever was happening at Vista Ridges design meetings.

This is a pipe dream of mine, I want Vista Ridge to play A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow again. I want them to play the selections in that entire show again. It was so effective to me. With the overhaul in directors and more depth in talent than ever before it could come out to be an amazing show. I feel the same with Orion actually, and yes I do still stand that Iditarod was ahead of its time.

I agree with all of this!  I thought that all 3 shows you mentioned were absolutely fantastic and quite honestly overlooked at BOA San Antonio each of those years.  Orion's opener with Kaval Sviri is just such a great transition of ethereal and mystic into power.  

I will say that I do very much miss their old black and red uniforms and the red plumes.  I always thought it was one of the more stylish uniforms and always looked very striking on the field.  

I love love loved Orion. 

I personally love Vista Ridge’s new uniforms! Versatile in how they can be configured with the layering, and very distinctive. That said, the former black/red was good, too. I think both are very classy, just my personal preference is for the new look. Anyway, I think we can count on VR looking good, having amazing music, and future innovative shows- they just keep growing in every way. LISD continues to amaze with all their schools! Look at the growth in Rouse and Glenn also-both upcoming programs! And of course Vandy, Leander, Cedar Park, and Vista all being so successful-what a super culture in that district.

Am I remembering the story correctly that Vista basically didn't have enough, or didn't have the budget for shakos/plumes last year, so the current no headgear look is basically a happy accident that has worked out very well for them? I even think the initial reveal of their current uniforms had a shako, but seems like they've totally ditched headgear entirely to have more expressive shows?

Am I remembering the story correctly that Vista basically didn't have enough, or didn't have the budget for shakos/plumes last year, so the current no headgear look is basically a happy accident that has worked out very well for them? I even think the initial reveal of their current uniforms had a shako, but seems like they've totally ditched headgear entirely to have more expressive shows?

Vista's numbers grew to the point that there were not enough uniforms for everybody last year.  LISD apportions funds for bands to replace their uniforms every seven years and the decision was made to go to the compass tops for the Lost & Found show as a 1-year bridge until the new uniforms were budgeted.  Using shakos and plumes for Lost & Found would not have worked with the colors we had, so the shakos were not used at all last year.

We do have new shakos and plumes for the new uniforms - the DMs have worn them for retreats.  But the directors like not using them for performances for the reasons cited above.  I think the performance quality from the kids speaks for itself.  We will see what happens going forward.

I'm sure there were others before them, but wasn't it The Bluecoats who really got this no shako trend rolling? (I know...I'm taking this further off topic...)

Yeah. It really took off (along with the concept of dance uniforms/show specific outfits) after they won in 2016 with both of those ideas implemented.

How do schools afford to have "game uniforms" and "competition uniforms" (CTJ, Hebron, etc.) and/or have a new uniform each year (CTJ, LD Bell, etc.).  Do the districts pay for it or is it taken out of the booster budget?  As has been mentioned before LISD gives us new ones every seven years so I am curious how others get them more frequently?

How do schools afford to have "game uniforms" and "competition uniforms" (CTJ, Hebron, etc.) and/or have a new uniform each year (CTJ, LD Bell, etc.). Do the districts pay for it or is it taken out of the booster budget? As has been mentioned before LISD gives us new ones every seven years so I am curious how others get them more frequently?

What Hebron did in 2015 was buy new uniforms with the budget they had since it had been 7 or 8 years since they got new ones. Then they kept the old ones to use for football games. So technically they still only used the alotted budget they had and didn't may much more extra.

What Hebron did in 2015 was buy new uniforms with the budget they had since it had been 7 or 8 years since they got new ones. Then they kept the old ones to use for football games. So technically they still only used the alotted budget they had and didn't may much more extra.

Yes exactly. Hebron’s game uniforms are over a decade old and they likely won’t get new ones until possibly 2023

How do schools afford to have "game uniforms" and "competition uniforms" (CTJ, Hebron, etc.) and/or have a new uniform each year (CTJ, LD Bell, etc.).  Do the districts pay for it or is it taken out of the booster budget?  As has been mentioned before LISD gives us new ones every seven years so I am curious how others get them more frequently?

speaking for CTJ's program. their "classic" uniform is the uniform that they opened the school with in 2008. the district replaces uniforms every 7 years - CTJ used those funds for the current dance uniform and keeps the Classic as they are in great shape as they get so little use. the dance or show uniform is designed to change out the tops, sash and plumes each year to tie it into the show. those interchangeable pieces are relatively inexpensive and are covered in student fees.

I’ve always really liked CTJ’s “classic” uniforms, they look really sharp and classy! I can’t remember, was 2013 the last season they marched with those?

Personally I’m not a huge fan of the no shako thing going on (especially in DCI), but I get why people like it. I always loved being able to instantly recognize someone by their uniform, it gave groups an identity. But I guess it’s just where the activity is going, and there is more to a group’s identity then how they look. It would definitely fit some bands better than others though. Woodlands actually pulled it off really well this year and I could definitely see bands like CTJ and Leander pulling it off. It would be really strange to see some bands try it though like Marcus, Hebron, Vandy, Bell, Cedar Park, etc. And Round Rock has such awesome uniforms that I would be really sad to see those go.

Will be interesting to see if more high school bands try it.

I’m a brass guy. Can anyone explain why half of YouTube is having a meltdown over Vandegrift drumline’s matched grip? Surely they aren’t the only line that uses that grip?

Ha, I saw that earlier this season. Jealousy I’m thinking. :lol: Percussion snobs don’t think kids can play as well using matched grip, or that it looks as pleasing. Vandy showed them otherwise.

I'm barely a college freshman, but I fall into the "old person" camp in that I really don't want to see headwear going away. Expressions can still be conveyed with a shako on. My freshman year of high school shakos w/ plumes were described to me as making yourself taller, giving more field presence. I like the things Flower Mound has done, wearing birds or Gaudi tiles on the shakos, or CTJ's very bizarre plume-manes this past season, and much prefer these to no headwear at all.

I also mute the TV when commercials come on, so make of that what you will.

I’m a brass guy. Can anyone explain why half of YouTube is having a meltdown over Vandegrift drumline’s matched grip? Surely they aren’t the only line that uses that grip?

I think matched grip is more popular in Texas than other places. Some see it as a cop out but I think traditional grip is needlessly cumbersome unless you’re tilting your snares, which itself is uncomfortable. Traditional grip does look cooler though lol