2019 BOA Grand National Championships

Just a note to say thank you for the incredible support on the forums this past weekend. The bloggers for TXbands were so uplifting and complimentary, and all of our kids and parents appreciate that love. It is hard not to experience wonder and awe when you consider how blessed we are as a state to have so many incredible programs. To have something like TXbands alongside of that is equally special.

The criticism, banter, discussion, and engagement on these forums is always interesting to read through the year and speaking personally, has impacted many design discussions and sparked conversations with our staff on what we can do better.

Thanks again for the love through the nationals process. It really added a lot for our community.

Jarrett Lipman, my compliments to CTJ being a very classy organization and please never conform. I absolutely love y’alls shows

Flo's complete monopoly on the streaming and recording of the marching arts is incredibly frustrating. Especially due to it being nearly twice as expensive and half as good as videos used to be (ESPECIALLY in terms of stream quality). The fact that their extreme price buys me a stream that can't decide if it's 1080p or 144p, or if it's recorded on high quality sound equipment or a flip phone is disgraceful. That's not even mentioning the adds that crashed my stream after every band (exclusively rocket mortgage I might add) or the fact that we get no archive of any kind. It's shamefully bad flo. For the sake of the students, parents, and Educators, get it together.

Absolutely, and those flo sports ads were horrible with the volume. I tried to use flo sports app on fire tv and it just spun forever, had to use an internet browser to watch Boa SA and grand nationals.

Bingo!!! I want video for my kids to 1) watch for themselves and 2) have it to show their kids years from now. I actually found video of some of my band's performances in the mid-80s....I was thrilled!!! I showed my kids just how much better they are now and how much things have changed.

Not only that, there are parents on the loading crews and who help push equipment that don't ever get to see shows from above. We'd like to see the show, too.

There has to be a happy medium somewhere.

I have been looking for our Grand Nats performances from the early 90s, no dice anywhere.

What Cedar Park does at the end of the season is make a USB drive available with every performance from the year, to include concert band. It's a nice keepsake and a good fundraiser for the band.

I'm not a drumline guy, but what Vandy's drumline is doing has to be one of the best high school lines in the country, right?? I feel like I was listening to a DCI drumline in their show this year. Maybe it's the writing, or they're just that good, but even to my untrained ear this drumline sounded as special as their hornline, if not more so.

I'm not a drumline guy, but what Vandy's drumline is doing has to be one of the best high school lines in the country, right?? I feel like I was listening to a DCI drumline in their show this year. Maybe it's the writing, or they're just that good, but even to my untrained ear this drumline sounded as special as their hornline, if not more so.

they performed at PASIC last week as well I believe.

We did, of course, have 6 Texas bands in the finals this year, but I got curious how many years we have sent 6 bands before. We sent six bands in 2017, 2016, 2007 (actually 7), 2006, and 2002 and we had 4 make it in 2017, 4 in 2016, 4 in 2007, 4 in 2006, and 4 in 2002. So 2013 and 2019 are our most successful years number-wise with all 5 and all 6 making the finals, respectively.

And if anyone is interested, these are the number of bands we sent each year back to 1985:

1985 - 1 (Westfield)
1986 - 0
1987 - 0
1988 - 0
1989 - 0
1990 - 1 (Westfield)
1991 - 2 (Duncanville, Spring)
1992 - 0
1993 - 2 (Spring, Duncanville)
1994 - 1 (Klein)
1995 - 1 (Westfield)
1996 - 0
1997 - 1 (Richland)
1998 - 3 (Winston Churchill, The Woodlands, Haltom)
1999 - 2 (Winston Churchill, Leander)
2000 - 0
2001 - 2 (LD Bell, Richland)
2002 - 6 (SFA, The Woodlands, Winston Churchill, Reagan, Haltom, Spring)
2003 - 3 (Westfield, Reagan, LD Bell)
2004 - 2 (SFA, The Woodlands)
2005 - 3 (Reagan, LD Bell, Richland)
2006 - 6 (LD Bell, The Woodlands, Winston Churchill, Bowie, Cypress Falls, Connally)
2007 - 7 (LD Bell, The Woodlands, SFA, Richland, Reagan, Clearbrook, Mabank)
2008 - 3 (LD Bell, Colleyville Heritage, Hidalgo)
2009 - 5 (LD Bell, Marcus, The Woodlands, Bowie)
2010 - 4 (LD Bell, SFA, Cedar Park, Winston Churchill)
2011 - 3 (The Woodlands, CTJ, Spring)
2012 - 2 (Bowie, Reagan)
2013 - 5 (The Woodlands, Round Rock, Marcus, LD Bell, Cedar Ridge)
2014 - 2 (Flower Mound, Wakeland)
2015 - 5 (Hebron, The Woodlands, Round Rock, Keller, Keller Central)
2016 - 6 (Cedar Park, Leander, Reagan, CTJ, Bowie, Whitesboro)
2017 - 6 (Marcus, Flower Mound, The Woodlands, Round Rock, Winston Churchill, Prosper)
2018 - 1 (Prosper)
2019 - 6 (Vandegrift, Hebron, Leander, CTJ, The Woodlands, Round Rock)

We did, of course, have 6 Texas bands in the finals this year, but I got curious how many years we have sent 6 bands before. We sent six bands in 2017, 2016, 2007 (actually 7), 2006, and 2002 and we had 4 make it in 2017, 4 in 2016, 4 in 2007, 4 in 2006, and 4 in 2002. So 2013 and 2019 are our most successful years number-wise with all 5 and all 6 making the finals, respectively.

And if anyone is interested, these are the number of bands we sent each year back to 1985:

1985 - 1 (Westfield)

1986 - 0

1987 - 0

1988 - 0

1989 - 0

1990 - 1 (Westfield)

1992 - 0

1994 - 1 (Klein)

1995 - 1 (Westfield)

1996 - 0

1997 - 1 (Richland)

2000 - 0

2002 - 6 (SFA, The Woodlands, Winston Churchill, Haltom, Spring)

2006 - 6 (LD Bell, The Woodlands, Winston Churchill, Bowie, Cypress Falls, Connally)

2012 - 2 (Bowie, Reagan)

2017 - 6 (Marcus, Flower Mound, The Woodlands, Round Rock, Winston Churchill, Prosper)

2018 - 1 (Prosper)

The amazing thing is that it could have been more Texas dominated....what if Reagan, Marcus, Bowie, Keller, Bell, FloMo, etc. had gone to Indy?

Texas is the center of the marching band universe, if you ask me....probably has been for a few years.

The amazing thing is that it could have been more Texas dominated....what if Reagan, Marcus, Bowie, Keller, Bell, FloMo, etc. had gone to Indy?

Texas is the center of the marching band universe, if you ask me....probably has been for a few years.

Unfortunately, if any more went on recent years, we would likely be pushing out other Texas bands.

We did, of course, have 6 Texas bands in the finals this year, but I got curious how many years we have sent 6 bands before. We sent six bands in 2017, 2016, 2007 (actually 7), 2006, and 2002 and we had 4 make it in 2017, 4 in 2016, 4 in 2007, 4 in 2006, and 4 in 2002. So 2013 and 2019 are our most successful years number-wise with all 5 and all 6 making the finals, respectively.

1985 - 1 (Westfield)

1986 - 0

1987 - 0

1988 - 0

1989 - 0

1990 - 1 (Westfield)

1992 - 0

1994 - 1 (Klein)

1995 - 1 (Westfield)

1996 - 0

1997 - 1 (Richland)

2000 - 0

2002 - 6 (SFA, The Woodlands, Winston Churchill, Haltom, Spring)

2012 - 2 (Bowie, Reagan)

2018 - 1 (Prosper)

Ronald Reagan went in 2002 and made finals as well, so we sent 7 not 6. You got the number of finalists right though

It’s over. I’m done fighting the battle to keep my videos up. I understand that in order to maintain your copyright you must pursue infringers, but a lot of the time it seems like they forget they’re making all this money off kids. All of this money comes from kids in an activity, for fun. Many of these kids never get a chance to see their show from above, to see the product of their hard work for months and months, hours and hours. They put in countless rehearsals, countless reps, and despite this, the quality recordings of their end products are hidden behind a paywall with an exorbitant price. It saddens me that some kids will never get to see their show because of what seems to be corporate greed. But at the end of the day, I expected nothing more, nothing less. Thank you for all your support over this season.

Dan

This is why we need to abolish copyright laws.

Thank you for all your good work over the years to spread the joy of music!!

Is there a way to download your schools performance from Flo Marching?  I just bought the subscription but am being told it only archives the visual and not the audio?  If that is true then is there any possible way to ever get a copy of the Flo recording legally?  I thought if I bought into Flo, I would get access.  If you can't buy access from Flo then why are they going around and taking down posts of people who have posted what they are not posting?  I am confused....

The Hebron Band tweeted a video yesterday that was of a great quality high cam from their show. It was an unlisted link from ThatWasLoud, and they have many many marching band and DCI videos from their own equipment.

It was a much wider shot than Flo and didn’t have the same Flo audio (much boomier like the audio was shot from the camera up top) and no Flo logos anywhere...yet it was still copyrighted and taken down by Flo? That’s got to be illegal right? Since FloMarching didn’t own the video and never owned the video, as it was shot with a separate camera, not ripped from the stream, how can they take down a video for copyright?

The Hebron Band tweeted a video yesterday that was of a great quality high cam from their show. It was an unlisted link from ThatWasLoud, and they have many many marching band and DCI videos from their own equipment.

It was a much wider shot than Flo and didn’t have the same Flo audio (much boomier like the audio was shot from the camera up top) and no Flo logos anywhere...yet it was still copyrighted and taken down by Flo? That’s got to be illegal right? Since FloMarching didn’t own the video and never owned the video, as it was shot with a separate camera, not ripped from the stream, how can they take down a video for copyright?

From what I've gathered, Flo owns the video rights to the entire contest, as well as the live streaming rights, which enables them to strike any video from the contest. I believe the only recordings that are allowed to be posted publicly are those from each band's designated "official band videographer" that wears the badge. I'm not sure how exactly you'd prove that to them, but I'd assume you'd have to dispute the copyright claim, which is usually a big hassle.

Is there a way to download your schools performance from Flo Marching?  I just bought the subscription but am being told it only archives the visual and not the audio?  If that is true then is there any possible way to ever get a copy of the Flo recording legally?  I thought if I bought into Flo, I would get access.  If you can't buy access from Flo then why are they going around and taking down posts of people who have posted what they are not posting?  I am confused....

There is not a way. They don't own the rights to the audio from the shows, and thus can only stream the events, not allow replay of audio.

As part of their deal with Flo in which Flo has the streaming rights, BOA (music for all) does not allow their contests to be videoed and posted. However, Flo only has the streaming rights and can't keep recordings with audio. I'm not sure how official school videographers fit into this, but my guess is that they have permission to record the performances for the use of the school specifically and are probably not supposed to post them on video sharing sites. That said, these don't seem to be taken down as frequently.

However, videos of the performances do exist out there. They will be taken down from video sharing sites, but nothing reasonably can be done for privately distributing these recordings. If any of you have these recordings, a reasonable thing to do is to keep them in a private file and distribute them to people as they ask via file sharing or email.

These copyright rules do not apply to non- BOA contests, so you can often find videos from other contests near the end of the season like UIL state or Duncanville, etc...

Thank you everyone for all the kind words over the past few days. Again, I hope that in the future a way presents itself for students to be able to see their shows without having to rely on cell phone recordings or recordings that could be taken down at any moment. In the meantime, maybe someone could pick up where I left off.

Thanks again,

Dan

Not sure how others do it elsewhere, but upon graduating from my band program, we were given flash drives containing recordings of all the shows we were performers in, as well as audio tracks of our performances in concert season. Really appreciate the directors having done that for us.