2019 BOA Grand National Championships

Vandy will run into problems with their guard. If they don't toss anything or use weapons, when you compare to the two best color guards in the country (Avond and Carmel) I don't see how you can keep a high VGE or VPE score as both are modestly dependent on guard.

Vandy scored very well.  Indiana guards were amazing to watch. Entire event was unreal.  So much talent.  

I know Color Study was the year Leander really cemented their place with the Texas elite, but I found that show to be a huge yawner. Sorry! :lol:

Man I can't see how such wonderful arrangements of Orawa and Rocky Point Holiday can make someone sleepy. The ending with the transition to Somewhere Over the Rainbow is one of the best musical moments I've ever heard. The drill is so fun to watch too.

Yes it was and I absolutely loved THAT aspect of the show. I also loved the big moving plus sign drill in the first movement, but I just didn’t love the show overall. I know it’s a sin for me to admit that. :lol:

I'm kinda with you.  Choral Works is still my favorite Leander show.  That. Opening. Hit.  *swoon*

And I adore Radioactive.

Don't have a bad thing to say about Color Study, but it's just not quite at the same level for me.

My all time favorite Leander show is 2000. 

Simply titled, The Music of Rimsky-Kosakov.  This was back when Leander styled themselves as the Leander Marching Wind Symphony as someone mentioned above.  

• Dance of the Tumblers
  • Flight of the Bumblebee
  • Capriccio Espangol
  • Scheherazade, Mvts. 3 and 4

The show was Ms. Drinkwater's last year at Leander, I believe.  It was light and it was cute and you really could see the foundation for all those little touches and flourishes she'd bring to Marcus later.  The color palate incorporated several blue tarps that were cut into different, odd shapes, but it was amazing how the tarps and the odd shapes they made were integrated into the drill.  They went on very first in prelims at State that year and finished 3rd in prelims, 6th in finals.  I'll never forget it - it remains the finest version of Dance of the Tumblers I've ever heard on the field - the reeded woodwinds during the opening runs of that piece were just perfection.  

I do very much like what Leander does nowadays, too and I always support them (I live in their attendance zone!).  Of the current era, I do think Radioactive is probably the best yet. Though Polarity, Color Study, 4th Dimension, Choral Works - all stunning too.

just a s thought as we close out the season

in the earlier discussion about the strongest Texas Regional - I realized that the 3 medalists at BOA Austin finished 1st, 5th, and 6th in Indy

congrats to all of our #teamtexas bands and their placements in Indy - I hope next year is even bigger and better

I've gone back and rewatched L.D. 2007 and I have to ask, can someone explain the concept or plot to the show? I love it and think it's fantastic, just want to grasp the idea a little more.

it was the third part of a trilogy of shows that were loosely inspired by the rapture, with 2005's Ascension: Light of Gold representing the actual rapture, 2006's The Remaining (probably my favorite show ever- the drama! the power! the physicality!) depicting those who were left behind on Earth, and 2007's transcenDENTS (I can offer no insight into why the title was styled this way, but it was, lol) representing some kind of redemption for the remaining (i think?) The activity has advanced so drastically since then, but I don't think I've ever seen another show that was as cinematic and captivating as these shows were. Broken Arrow's come close a few times, and lately Reagan, too, but the guard member popping out of the white tarp at the end of The Remaining? Unmatched!

Flo's complete monopoly on the streaming and recording of the marching arts is incredibly frustrating. Especially due to it being nearly twice as expensive and half as good as videos used to be (ESPECIALLY in terms of stream quality). The fact that their extreme price buys me a stream that can't decide if it's 1080p or 144p, or if it's recorded on high quality sound equipment or a flip phone is disgraceful. That's not even mentioning the adds that crashed my stream after every band (exclusively rocket mortgage I might add) or the fact that we get no archive of any kind. It's shamefully bad flo. For the sake of the students, parents, and Educators, get it together.

If you can, use a Roku device and the Flosports app. The quality of the stream is better and without the Rocket Mortgage ads. At least for now.