2019 BOA Grand National Championships

Congrats to Vandegrift on their first place finish! Was hoping we'd see all three captions go to Texas, but Avon's visual is amazing. Hebron's third place finish was nice to see. Let's see how many grand nats they can medal in. Congrats to Leander and CTJ finishing out the top 6.

Okay, now with all that out of the way.. I don't want to be *that* guy, in fact I absolutely hate to be that guy, but I can't help but feel like TW was robbed. Not necessarily of a placement but definitely of score and I fully blame the Hebron rule for that. I'm fine with William Mason placing above us. We performed side by side and the judges had perfect reference of one another. But if that is truly the case then they should have gotten a 93.5 or something of the sort. I know why they scored low and why we scored low as consequence (well, low compared to semis, prelims, and SA), I just wish there was a better system in place and that judges could judge consistently even if the band performing is the first band to perform. I know it's an impossible dream but when you not only drop 1.3 points after 2 weeks of nothing but cleaning, on top of dropping two points between semifinals and finals, I feel like something oughta be done.

Congrats to Vandegrift on their first place finish! Was hoping we'd see all three captions go to Texas, but Avon's visual is amazing. Hebron's third place finish was nice to see. Let's see how many grand nats they can medal in. Congrats to Leander and CTJ finishing out the top 6.

Okay, now with all that out of the way.. I don't want to be *that* guy, in fact I absolutely hate to be that guy, but I can't help but feel like TW was robbed. Not necessarily of a placement but definitely of score and I fully blame the Hebron rule for that. I'm fine with William Mason placing above us. We performed side by side and the judges had perfect reference of one another. But if that is truly the case then they should have gotten a 93.5 or something of the sort. I know why they scored low and why we scored low as consequence (well, low compared to semis, prelims, and SA), I just wish there was a better system in place and that judges could judge consistently even if the band performing is the first band to perform. I know it's an impossible dream but when you not only drop 1.3 points after 2 weeks of nothing but cleaning, on top of dropping two points between semifinals and finals, I feel like something oughta be done.

Scores are just numbers used to relatively compare each group, the actual number itself is meaningless, only the relative value to the groups around the score matters.We hear the phrase "you can't compare scores across competitions" all the time, and there's good reason for that. It's not the number that matters, it's how it relates to the other bands at THAT competition that matters, and determines the final rank. There is nothing to be feel bad about for the point drop in 2 weeks because these are 2 completely separate competitions with completely different variables. Your band has a lot to be proud of, and while the final score may not literally reflect an "improvement," The Woodlands and all of Team Texas improved like crazy from San Antonio 2 weeks ago, and it was amazing to see. If the Woodlands marched the same show they did 2 weeks ago, who knows, maybe they would've been 10th or 11th, so trust me, the 2 weeks of hard work were well worth it, regardless of an arbitrary number. Loved the Woodlands this year, can't wait to see how they push the envelope next year.

Scores are just numbers used to relatively compare each group, the actual number itself is meaningless, only the relative value to the groups around the score matters.We hear the phrase "you can't compare scores across competitions" all the time, and there's good reason for that. It's not the number that matters, it's how it relates to the other bands at THAT competition that matters, and determines the final rank. There is nothing to be feel bad about for the point drop in 2 weeks because these are 2 completely separate competitions with completely different variables. Your band has a lot to be proud of, and while the final score may not literally reflect an "improvement," The Woodlands and all of Team Texas improved like crazy from San Antonio 2 weeks ago, and it was amazing to see. If the Woodlands marched the same show they did 2 weeks ago, who knows, maybe they would've been 10th or 11th, so trust me, the 2 weeks of hard work were well worth it, regardless of an arbitrary number. Loved the Woodlands this year, can't wait to see how they push the envelope next year.

I understand all of that fully, it's just that it feels disheartening and discouraging when you hear that you score lower after two weeks when just about every other band improved. And of course like you said the scores don't really reflect across competitions but we did significantly better in prelims and semis, both above what we scored in SA. So when they turn that around and tell us "91.2" it instantly makes us, or at least me feel like they're discrediting what we've gone through and accomplished in the past two weeks.

Also congratulations to The Woodlands for their 10th Grand National Finals appearance! This breaks their tie with LD Bell with 9. An incredible feat for both of these bands.

10  89.20  L.D. Bell H.S., TX  2013
3    96.05  L.D. Bell H.S., TX  2010
2    95.25  L.D. Bell H.S., TX  2009
2    96.50  L.D. Bell H.S., TX  2008
1    96.10  L.D. Bell H.S., TX  2007
2    96.35  L.D. Bell H.S., TX  2006
3    95.60  L.D. Bell H.S., TX  2005
5    93.00  L.D. Bell H.S., TX  2003
4    95.85  L.D. Bell H.S., TX  2001

8   91.20  The Woodlands H.S., TX  2019
7   91.83  The Woodlands H.S., TX  2017
6   93.70  The Woodlands H.S., TX  2015
1   96.80  The Woodlands H.S., TX  2013
4   93.25  The Woodlands H.S., TX  2011
7   92.50  The Woodlands H.S., TX  2009
4   92.10  The Woodlands H.S., TX  2007
4   94.15  The Woodlands H.S., TX  2006
7   92.20  The Woodlands H.S., TX  2004
8   87.35  The Woodlands H.S., TX  2002

When was the last time a school district in Texas held both top class state titles and the Eagle all at the same time? (I'm guessing never). Leander ISD really is the place to be for marching band right now, wow. Congrats Vandegrift and go LISD band!

LISD currently holds the championship for BOA, 6A, and 5A.   I wonder if they can keep the ball rolling.  Could Vista pull the double of 6A and BOA next year?  Who knows.

I don't know if this stat will speak to how good and dominant Marcus was in 2012, but these are the margins of victory at BOA San Antonio over the last decade, from largest to least (I know this is a Grand Nats thread):

1 2.85 2012 Marcus
2 2.05 2016 Flower Mound
T4 1.20 2014 Claudia Taylor Johnson
T4 1.20 2010 Marcus
5 1.025 2017 Claudia Taylor Johnson
6 0.90 2019 Ronald Reagan
7 0.40 2015 Flower Mound
8 0.30 2011 L.D. Bell
9 0.20 2018 Flower Mound
10 0.05 2013 The Woodlands

My son's freshman year at Flower Mound was 2012 and the presence the Marcus Band had that year was almost ... intimidating when they took the field to perform. "Gilded Melodies" was a masterpiece.