2019 BOA Grand National Championships

Each program has its strengths and that’s all I focus on as I watch shows live. I don’t think we should bicker over our kids marching around on a field, it’s supoosed to be a fun and educational experience. We shouldn’t argue on some forum about whether someone’s being criticized enough or anything of the sort. We should leave the critiquing to the judges and instead build each other up. There should be no need to defend and put down other programs in the process because we should all be building each other up at the end of the day no matter whether a band placed 8th, 1st or even 43rd we should learn to celebrate them for their efforts instead of putting them down because at the end of the day it’s not placements that matter so much, it’s the growth you experienced.

Here’s what I would like to see happen at San Antonio this fall. (I know this is the GN thread, but hear me out). Top Five in alphabetical order: CTJ, Hebron, Leander, TWHS and Vandy. Of course I have my personal preference on who takes the top two spots, but my point is that if these five bands take the top five spots in San Antonio, HOW COOL WILL GRAND NATS BE?! Yes, I am yelling. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I had an odd dream. I dreamt the announcements of Grand Nationals placements, these are goofy as it was a dream but here they are the ones I remember at least

1.Leander, 2.Carmel 3.Marian Catholic 4.CTJ 5.Adair County 6.Plymouth-Canton 7.Lawrence Township 8.Avon 9.The Woodlands I can’t really remember the rest but I remember that Leander won the colorguard caption which doesn’t actually exist

I had an odd dream. I dreamt the announcements of Grand Nationals placements, these are goofy as it was a dream but here they are the ones I remember at least

1.Leander, 2.Carmel 3.Marian Catholic 4.CTJ 5.Adair County 6.Plymouth-Canton 7.Lawrence Township 8.Avon 9.The Woodlands I can’t really remember the rest but I remember that Leander won the colorguard caption which doesn’t actually exist

I would love to see PCEP back in finals.

Doesn’t seem goofy to me! :D

Sounds like a dream I would have HAHA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Call me biased but I think a big reason is because so many Texas powerhouses are going. ‍♀

That could be a part of it but I would think that would only affect really the big hitter programs at the top, but a lot of the big hitter programs that aren't going have a legitimate reason to not go. The more likely reason may be the cost in my opinion.

That could be a part of it but I would think that would only affect really the big hitter programs at the top, but a lot of the big hitter programs that aren't going have a legitimate reason to not go. The more likely reason may be the cost in my opinion.

I don’t think it’s cost. It’s no more expensive this year than any other year, and bands are even more savvy now in their fundraising efforts than ever before. The Indiana heavy hitters will most likely always go to GN, but the real question is what about the other usual attendees? When Texas stays home, there are a lot more opportunities to make finals for the other heavy hitters. With the success Texas has begun having in the last five years or so, and with so many of the successful Texas bands attending this year in particular, I believe that many other very successful non Texas bands have decided it’s not worth going this year. In fact, if you look at the Indianapolis Super Regional, you will see a lot of bands attending that one as opposed to GN this fall. I just find it peculiar is all. And quite frankly, a real bummer.

I don’t think it’s cost. It’s no more expensive this year than any other year, and bands are even more savvy now in their fundraising efforts than ever before. The Indiana heavy hitters will most likely always go to GN, but the real question is what about the other usual attendees? When Texas stays home, there are a lot more opportunities to make finals for the other heavy hitters. With the success Texas has begun having in the last five years or so, and with so many of the successful Texas bands attending this year in particular, I believe that many other very successful non Texas bands have decided it’s not worth going this year. In fact, if you look at the Indianapolis Super Regional, you will see a lot of bands attending that one as opposed to GN this fall. I just find it peculiar is all. And quite frankly, a real bummer.

Imagine the ****storm that would ensue if you had posted that on the old MFA forums.

• 2 weeks later...

Thats why I really respect bands like Avon, Vista Murriwta and Westlake from Utah. They know what they’re headed into but they come to give their best shot. That is a good indication of how things would be if they ever moved the gnc to Texas. It would end up being a second State UIL contest in most years. It’s amazing how they argue up there about how good the Texas bands really are. When the heavy hitters show up however, many of them stay home. They need to have more of the spirit that Westfield, Churchill and Spring had in the 80’s and 90’s. They were outsiders then But sure enough they usually got into the top 5, Westfield was number 2 a couple of times even before Spring won it all in ‘93.