2019 BOA Grand National Championships

The reason why most CA Bands do not compete in BOA is  that there are to many circuits for Bands to compete in out there. Look at this list and you will see why we do not see more CA Bands.

SCSBOA      They have both Field and Parade Contests throughout Southern CA  Different field rules

NCBA           They run all the Parade and some Field Contest in Northern CA. Totally different rules than SCSBOA in both areas

WBA             They run their own circuit for schools in CA, NV, AZ and have their own championships

MBOS           They run contest in Southern CA and Nevada. Again different rule

GSJA            A new circuit in the mix. Primarily in Northern CA

CSJA            Another judging circuit sponsoring contests.

BOA              Last in the list.

All these circuits have their own rules, with all except BOA using size of Band for classification instead of size of School like BOA does. It is not unusual to see a school with 4,000 students in Class !A, 60 members or less in the Band competing against really small enrollment schools.  I wish they would work to have a agreement about how to judge their Bands out there. I have hoped for that for many years, it has not happened. As one of My friends said, " How do you expect CA to ever send many Bands to BOA with so many different rules and formats of Contests here. . Also remember on CA has Two AAA  Auto Clubs, Automobile club of Southern CA and California State Automobile Association in the North.  They cannot even be unified in Auto Clubs why would you expect our School Bands to work together

I hope you can get out to CA in the fall, What I am saying is that going to the BOA Contests will not necessarily show you the States best Bands since they are pulled so many different ways.

I grew up in NorCal and we competed in NCBA events and my alma mater has hosted a NCBA event for the past 40+ years. the biggest reason (IMO) that we don't see more CA bands in BOA is money. the fine arts has been gutted the past few decades. no money for instruments, having to fund raise for years to get new uniforms, etc. indoor guard and percussion is a more manageable competition from an expense point. here in Texas, the HS Directors are engaged at the MS level and in many cases have known and instructed most students for 3 years prior to arriving in HS. not the case in CA

When I was in High School, there was 1 program with a semi trailer - in Texas, it is the norm and many have 2 semis and then some.

I was at our alma mater event in 2016. with 3700 students enrolled - the band had 38 members on the field. it is a crying shame

I grew up in NorCal and we competed in NCBA events and my alma mater has hosted a NCBA event for the past 40+ years. the biggest reason (IMO) that we don't see more CA bands in BOA is money. the fine arts has been gutted the past few decades. no money for instruments, having to fund raise for years to get new uniforms, etc. indoor guard and percussion is a more manageable competition from an expense point. here in Texas, the HS Directors are engaged at the MS level and in many cases have known and instructed most students for 3 years prior to arriving in HS. not the case in CA

When I was in High School, there was 1 program with a semi trailer - in Texas, it is the norm and many have 2 semis and then some.

I was at our alma mater event in 2016. with 3700 students enrolled - the band had 38 members on the field. it is a crying shame

Wow. That's insane. Who in the world would think that fine arts aren't important? Here in Texas at least one year of fine arts is required to graduate. It teaches students so much in life. This is one of the many reasons why I would never live in California. Ugh. I feel bad for all of the band kids wishing they could have a better opportunity for education and competition over there. They apparently are all about the traditional sports and the money over there. No offense to your home, by the way, or your alma mater. 

Wow. That's insane. Who in the world would think that fine arts aren't important? Here in Texas at least one year of fine arts is required to graduate. It teaches students so much in life. This is one of the many reasons why I would never live in California. Ugh. I feel bad for all of the band kids wishing they could have a better opportunity for education and competition over there. They apparently are all about the traditional sports and the money over there. No offense to your home, by the way, or your alma mater. 

Well, I think a big contributing factor to the prominence of marching band (in the areas where it's big) has to do with HS football. If you look at places where marching band has big programs or high participation, Friday Night Lights are very popular. I don't know about the FNL scene in California, but I believe that proves my point.

Take this as you will: it's herbaflerb's hot take of the day.

Well, I think a big contributing factor to the prominence of marching band (in the areas where it's big) has to do with HS football. If you look at places where marching band has big programs or high participation, Friday Night Lights are very popular. I don't know about the FNL scene in California, but I believe that proves my point.

Take this as you will: it's herbaflerb's hot take of the day.

football remains big in CA - part of the difference is that CA and a few other states run "unified" school districts - and at the end of the day count on the state for financial support. In Texas - the school districts are "independent" and get the bulk of their income from the property taxes. they do not report to a local municipality - though they do funnel/share funds with the state.

I am sure that it is different for every program - but our district has 7 schools here, and 1 program gets new uniforms so about every 7 years for our schools. in CA, my alma mater had the same uniforms we marched in back in the early 80's until they got a new design in 2006.

Early thoughts:

1. Hebron HS, TX

2. Carmel HS, IN

3. Claudia Taylor Johnson HS, TX

4. Vandegrift HS, TX

5. Avon HS, IN

6. Leander HS, TX

7. The Woodlands HS, TX

8. William Mason HS, OH

9. Homestead HS, IN

10. Union HS, OK

11. Park Vista HS, FL

12. Round Rock HS, TX

Absolutely NEED a Texas band to win this year, it’s been too long. I’m personally rooting for Hebron and feel like they, of all the GN attendees, have the most sophisticated, challenging design, but it will be entirely dependent on the strength of their visual design and performance. Hopefully they’ll bring something 2015-esque, which doesn’t get a whole lot of credit for being brilliant visually.

I don’t see Carmel finishing lower than second but would love to see a 1-2, or maybe even a medal sweep from TX groups. CTJ is the other group that feels uniquely positioned to make a run for the eagle. They can really compete with the Indiana powerhouses visually in a way that the other TX groups can’t, and if they bring the right show they’ll be tough to beat. The prospect of Vandy being the first group to ever win GN on their first appearance is an exciting one but, for my money, they’ve yet to show they have the design necessary to pull it off, but we’ll see- they most certainly have the talent.

Avon in 5th feels like a huge gamble but unless they bring their best show in ages I’m not sure they’ll be able to keep up with the TX powerhouses, assuming they all bring their best work. Could easily see Leander and The Woodlands finishing higher/ being real title contenders but I’ll wait until I see their shows to speculate further on that. I’d feel more confident in their chances if they didn’t have to deal with so many other Tx groups.

Mason and Homestead feel like finals locks, union should bounce back after a somewhat rocky transition year (not sure if they had a director change or just a new design team but last year felt decisively off for them) Park Vista, aside from Vandegrift, is the most high profile GN debut this year and I feel pretty good about their finals chances. Discussion of Round Rock’s supposed collapse has gone a little off the rails here- they’re still absolutely a GN finals caliber program and I’m assuming this year will see them rebound.

Other major finalist contenders are one of my absolute favorite programs Ayala (CA), Marian Catholic (IL), Center Grove (IN), Harrison (GA) and Rockford (MI)

I would swap - Hebron and CTJ , you mentioned Hebron 2015 show - CTJ beat them in the dome. I think that all the Texas bands will bring their best game. - I will state (again) - I am partial to CTJ (surprise)

I think this GN competition is ripe for a Texas dominance. From the Eagle on down to the finals.

this will elevate the BOA shows in Texas this season - we could see some some insane competition

Looking forward to update this as the season progresses 

And don’t forget that Leander (and Cedar Park) bested CTJ and Reagan at Grand Nats, and Leander beat them both in San Antonio in 2016. I know CP and Reagan aren’t going this year, but I did want to remind everyone of that. It was only 3 years ago and it is not out of the realm of possibility that Leander does it again. ;)

I love me some CTJ, but don’t rule out Leander placing higher.

And don’t forget that Leander (and Cedar Park) bested CTJ and Reagan at Grand Nats, and Leander beat them both in San Antonio in 2016. I know CP and Reagan aren’t going this year, but I did want to remind everyone of that. It was only 3 years ago and it is not out of the realm of possibility that Leander does it again. ;)

but the next year CTJ won BOA SA with the highest score ever scored outside of GN - not to discount those programs - looking forward to #teamtexas in indy

I won't concede to Leander any more than you will concede to CTJ - welcome to the Jungle  - Pun intended  :P

I won't concede to Leander any more than you will concede to CTJ - welcome to the Jungle  - Pun intended  :P

*groan*  Nothing drives me crazier than when they play that song on the loudspeaker at the beginning of all the Leander football games.  They play it so loud and it gets so distorted that you just want to run screaming from the stadium.  

*groan*  Nothing drives me crazier than when they play that song on the loudspeaker at the beginning of all the Leander football games.  They play it so loud and it gets so distorted that you just want to run screaming from the stadium.  

that song is nowhere in the show - it is figuratively stated  - the Jungle is the clue 

Well, the CTJ show better be better than Flashdance! :P

Not that Flashdance was bad by any means.... But easily the weakest of the past 3 years in my view.

Don't discount anyone. As was stated, it will all come out on the field, and each band has beaten each other over the past years. Except The Woodlands never finished ahead of Flower Mound in my kid's 4 years. That is the only one...

Nothing would make me happier than if that song for the Blue Bells went away forever!!!  Same song, year after year and the distortion you described always sounds like nails on a chalkboard.  Ughhh.....

Nothing would make me happier than if that song for the Blue Bells went away forever!!! Same song, year after year and the distortion you described always sounds like nails on a chalkboard. Ughhh.....

Right? They’ve been performing to the same recording of that song since the early 2000s when my oldest was a student at Leander. Probably even much longer than that. I’m all for tradition and all, but that particular tradition needs to DIE! Maybe the new football coach will revolt and have it axed somehow. :D

I think at first glance I was a little underwhelmed by the list of participants, if only because most of the top groups are Texas groups that we're already going to see in an even fiercer contest at San Antonio. Barring any significant leaps from other groups, the only Eagle contenders outside of the Texas groups are Avon and Carmel, along with the Wes Cartwright dark-horse, William Mason. Lots of wiggle room at the bottom of finals. All six Texas groups could make the cut, which would be a record. Five will make it into finals for sure. If there's a year for a Texas group to win a National Championship, it's this one, especially since Carmel has claimed the Eagle the past 3 times in a row. (Could they possibly win it a fourth time in a row?! Yes.)

I'm most excited about Hebron. Last year, they were so much more engaging visually than they usually are. I think the staff is taking notes. They know what they need to do, and they're trying to do it. This year, I want to see a visual program that has a similar amount of demand, but that's cleaner -- although in recent years, pure cleanliness has become a little less important with the rubric changes. I think a stronger, more original visual concept would help as well. They'll sound amazing, like always.

CTJ is the other best-shot for the Eagle out of Texas. I'm intrigued by this upcoming sequel show. It looks like they're stuffing it full of crowd-pleasing music. That's their forte, anyway. Might as well play to your strengths. The Circle of Life idea doesn't sound like an especially original concept (I'm immediately reminded of that William Mason show where the guard was dressed up like animals), but CTJ will undoubtedly put their own spin on it. Right away, I suspect that the show will be a lot more focused thematically than last year's more desultory production.

Leander, Vandegrift, and The Woodlands will all be excellent. Could any of them win Nationals? I'm not totally convinced. The Vandegrift band is full of amazing performers, but besides 2017, the productions have lacked that little extra spark of creativity. I mean, to win Nationals, you really have to have the full package. The kids at Vandegrift have all the talent in the world to win Nationals, but they need to have a National Championship-quality show to do it. I feel sort of the same about Leander, although I was very impressed by the 2014 and 2015 productions. If they do something like those shows, but a little bit better, then I think we could see them shoot up into contention. The Woodlands is an odd one. They've won Nationals before, but their recent designs, despite being as original and interesting as ever, have lacked the sort of visual intricacy, excitement, and demand of their best productions (like 2006, 2007, and 2013). Last year's show was like watching a really clean Open Class guard show compete against a handful of fairly clean World Class shows. The question is: can they kick it up a notch, and still perform a clean show?

Round Rock is a bit of a wild card. They managed to make finals at Nationals in 2017 after missing finals at San Antonio, so I would never write them off. But I don't really remember what they did last year, which is a little concerning. In any case, I'm still waiting for them to match that 2013 production.

Hello friend! ;)

I have to agree with you about being a bit underwhelmed with Grand Nationals this year other than Avon, Carmel and the Texas contingent. I’m sad that so many of the big names have decided to skip out this year. It honestly won’t surprise me at all if this becomes a real thing. The top dogs outside of Indiana will go elsewhere on odd numbered years when the Texas front runners are most likely to attend. They’ll come on even numbered years instead.

So here’s the deal. Texas needs to do like several of us did in 2016 and do both 6A state and GN in the same year, or more out of state bands need to come down to San Antonio and compete. Otherwise GN is going to get a bit boring.

Just my 2 cents.

I would disagree with your term - "Desultory" as it is defined as "lacking a plan, purpose, or enthusiasm" - there was a great deal of all those qualities in the show that this group put on the field.

while many fell that the CTJ 2018 show was a political homage to the current administration  - of which it was not - everyone is entitled to an opinion.

I will admit that I am biased.  This is a program that has collected more BOA Golds in the past 5+ years than any other program in the state, currently tied for the most top 5 wins (8) in BOA SA as well as the highest score ever posted in what we can all agree is the most competitive program in the country. All coming from a program that just completed their 11th season.

the definition of the term you used in reference to this program is an insult to the talented members of this organization that have created a legacy, and don so in a short period of time.

Just my thoughts

I would disagree with your term - "Desultory" as it is defined as "lacking a plan, purpose, or enthusiasm" - there was a great deal of all those qualities in the show that this group put on the field.

while many fell that the CTJ 2018 show was a political homage to the current administration  - of which it was not - everyone is entitled to an opinion.

I will admit that I am biased.  This is a program that has collected more BOA Golds in the past 5+ years than any other program in the state, currently tied for the most top 5 wins (8) in BOA SA as well as the highest score ever posted in what we can all agree is the most competitive program in the country. All coming from a program that just completed their 11th season.

the definition of the term you used in reference to this program is an insult to the talented members of this organization that have created a legacy, and don so in a short period of time.

Just my thoughts

The term is appropriate.

You should stop getting so worked up every time anybody critiques any aspect of the Claudia Taylor Johnson program. It's not a good look for you, and it's not a good look for the Claudia Taylor Johnson program. A little equanimity goes a long way. (Look it up.)