2019 BOA San Antonio

I wish, but even with the money that seems like nightmare logistics at this point.

I don't think it is either giving them money to change their mind or nightmare logistics solutions that will change this.  If the contest shows that it will generate enough income with the added bands to attend and that the change will increase the revenue over cost they will consider it.   I believe we are now hitting a threshold number of bands that want to attend and If I was a betting man I would put some money out that the money picture is starting to look better and real consideration might be sooner than we think.

I don't think it is either giving them money to change their mind or nightmare logistics solutions that will change this.  If the contest shows that it will generate enough income with the added bands to attend and that the change will increase the revenue over cost they will consider it.   I believe we are now hitting a threshold number of bands that want to attend and If I was a betting man I would put some money out that the money picture is starting to look better and real consideration might be sooner than we think.

Please clarify the cost benefit to the event and how that impacts a school's decision to attend? Last I checked, there is no revenue from the event driven to programs attending Grand Nationals, it is purely a cost to those programs. MFA will absolutely NOT pay for a program to attend Grand Nationals. And not even Reagan attending this year would have a significant impact to revenue at GN. One program just won't do that. Grand Nationals finals will be sold out with or without Reagan. It just has transcended the impact of individual programs and is a whole that is larger than the sum of the parts.

Please clarify the cost benefit to the event and how that impacts a school's decision to attend? Last I checked, there is no revenue from the event driven to programs attending Grand Nationals, it is purely a cost to those programs. MFA will absolutely NOT pay for a program to attend Grand Nationals. And not even Reagan attending this year would have a significant impact to revenue at GN. One program just won't do that. Grand Nationals finals will be sold out with or without Reagan. It just has transcended the impact of individual programs and is a whole that is larger than the sum of the parts.

I was not talking about attending Grand Nat's but an earlier thread about giving $'s to BOA to BOA to do a Semi Final in Texas.   My post is about that not Grand Nat's.  It's about Semi Finals in Texas.   Sorry it was taken out of context and I should have quoted more of the prior thread as some new items posted that confused this.

Just saying that if we want Semi Finals in Texas it has to make financial sense for BOA to do that and that I believe we are getting the the # of attendees that want to attend that it should start to make sense.  

I will say this. Music For All continues to accept entries into grand nationals. With enough money and cards played right. It could happen. Unlikely. Unlikely unlikely but it’s an option that’s there.

I know the supports there. But is is going to happen? Unlikely. But the door is open. I throw my money to a GoFundMe to help it happen. If it does happen. We see a ninety eight.

There is a rumor that MFA had offered free entrance for area schools to get/keep the attendance level above that of San Antonio - do not see them covering transportation cost for a program from Texas - not realistic

MFA is not going to cater to a single program - and since most programs that are going purchased tickets months ago and many had problems getting tickets then - it is not revenue and I am sure that they will generate as much revenue this year as last

I agree, and I think it is disrespectful to think that this program is any more important than any of the other programs that want to attend -

if we play out the scenario - MFA covers their cost to attend. How many schools that spent half million $ to attend, regardless of their placement. MFA just P.O.'d every program that fund raised for years to attend. if they do win, you have now damaged the integrity of the program and made it appear that MFA showed favor and brought in a ringer to win.

BOA, or at the least GNats is now dead to programs that spend a great deal of time and money to plan for the event for years

I was not talking about attending Grand Nat's but an earlier thread about giving $'s to BOA about giving money to BOA to do a Semi Final in Texas.   My post is about that not Grand Nat's.  It's about Semi Finals in Texas.

Fair enough, but you were responding to comments about attending Grand Nationals, not creating a SA semi-finals.

I was not talking about attending Grand Nat's but an earlier thread about giving $'s to BOA to BOA to do a Semi Final in Texas.   My post is about that not Grand Nat's.  It's about Semi Finals in Texas.   Sorry it was taken out of context and I should have quoted more of the prior thread as some new items posted that confused this.

Just saying that if we want Semi Finals in Texas it has to make financial sense for BOA to do that and that I believe we are getting the the # of attendees that want to attend that it should start to make sense.  

Darn it, I did miss read the thread, sorry I was thinking about Semi Finals, not about Reagan going to Grand Nats.   My apologies for the confusion but if you want to talk about Semi Finals and if the $'s make sense for BOA that is what I was thinking about.

Darn it, I did miss read the thread, sorry I was thinking about Semi Finals, not about Reagan going to Grand Nats.   My apologies for the confusion but if you want to talk about Semi Finals and if the $'s make sense for BOA that is what I was thinking about.

Two things now that I opened my eyes enough and read it correctly.   

1)  Yes it would have been fantastic to see Reagan at Grand Nat's.   One of the best things I ever saw on the field and I love the show.  I agree that has to be planned a year in advance at least so it's just would have been at this point. 

2)  I do believe it is possible and a good thing for Semi Finals to be in San Antonio (sorry Dan).  It has to however make financial sense for BOA and I think we have enough bands and interest now that it should be compelling for BOA to look at.

I don't think we have ever shown enough bands going to Grand Nat's from Texas to consider that as a offset for not doing Semi in Texas.  It cost's too much for larger groups of bands to do this regularly but it is great when we do get to send some!

There is a rumor that MFA had offered free entrance for area schools to get/keep the attendance level above that of San Antonio - do not see them covering transportation cost for a program from Texas - not realistic

MFA is not going to cater to a single program - and since most programs that are going purchased tickets months ago and many had problems getting tickets then - it is not revenue and I am sure that they will generate as much revenue this year as last

I agree, and I think it is disrespectful to think that this program is any more important than any of the other programs that want to attend -

if we play out the scenario - MFA covers their cost to attend. How many schools that spent half million $ to attend, regardless of their placement. MFA just P.O.'d every program that fund raised for years to attend. if they do win, you have now damaged the integrity of the program and made it appear that MFA showed favor and brought in a ringer to win.

BOA, or at the least GNats is now dead to programs that spend a great deal of time and money to plan for the event for years

in Jan - 2014 CTJ marched the 125th Rose Parade - they attended through the acceptance process. they applied with hundreds of other programs from across the globe in 2012 (5 years after school opened). the application process is extensive, impressive and includes endorsements from local and state officials, up to the governor to support the bid, it includes enough info on their history and purpose to create a book. and of the hundreds only a few get accepted of the hundreds that apply.

every year in addition to the BOA Rose Parade Honor band (we have all seen/heard about at BOA event) is for individual students to march under the BOA Honor band moniker. BOA will award an acceptance to march in the Rose parade if they win Gnats - but because the cost - none of which BOA covers, it has become an acceptance of the highest placing band that is winning to raise the funds to attend the Rose parade.

the 2016 Gnats finals and the Rose parade acceptance is as follows - keep in mind that they have 13 months fund raise. the band that accepts in 2 weeks will march in Jan 2021

2016 Gnats finals

• Carmel - declined
  • Avon - declined
  • William Mason - declined
  • Tarpon Springs - declined
  • Cedar Park - declined
  • Leander - declined
  • Reagan - accepted - welcome to the Rose Parade

I would wonder if BOA has ever had to go beyond the finalist to get and acceptance?

assisting with funding this trip would be more accepted than funding a single program to come to Gnats

BOA will award an acceptance to march in the Rose parade if they win Gnats - but because the cost - none of which BOA covers, it has become an acceptance of the highest placing band that is winning to raise the funds to attend the Rose parade.

the 2016 Gnats finals and the Rose parade acceptance is as follows - keep in mind that they have 13 months fund raise. the band that accepts in 2 weeks will march in Jan 2021

2016 Gnats finals

• Carmel - declined
  • Avon - declined
  • Cedar Park - declined
  • Leander - declined
I would wonder if BOA has ever had to go beyond the finalist to get and acceptance?

This is false. Bands that attend Gnats have the choice of whether or not to be considered and a separate committee (not related to the judging of the contest) watches those bands in semifinals and chooses the rose parade participant. The competitive outcome has no bearing, but it’s unsurprising that “good” shows competitively have the same effect on the committee

in Jan - 2014 CTJ marched the 125th Rose Parade - they attended through the acceptance process. they applied with hundreds of other programs from across the globe in 2012 (5 years after school opened). the application process is extensive, impressive and includes endorsements from local and state officials, up to the governor to support the bid, it includes enough info on their history and purpose to create a book. and of the hundreds only a few get accepted of the hundreds that apply.

every year in addition to the BOA Rose Parade Honor band (we have all seen/heard about at BOA event) is for individual students to march under the BOA Honor band moniker. BOA will award an acceptance to march in the Rose parade if they win Gnats - but because the cost - none of which BOA covers, it has become an acceptance of the highest placing band that is winning to raise the funds to attend the Rose parade.

2016 Gnats finals

• Carmel - declined
  • Avon - declined
  • Cedar Park - declined
  • Leander - declined

assisting with funding this trip would be more accepted than funding a single program to come to Gnats

The situation with the Rose Parade brings out some very unpleasant memories about how the BOA got Bands in the Rose Parade.

First let me explain I grew up in Southern CA and marched with the Spirit of Troy in the Rose Parade while in College. I also worked with Bands in CA that were trying to go to the Rose Parade and had to deal with the Tournament of Roses. The story is not a pretty one.

1. The TOR wants Bands that are at least 250 members.  The Bigger the better. . In 2005 Nacogdoches represented TX(Great Band but not enough folks for the TOR) The next year Kingwood represented the Lone Star State. Better but still not gigantic.  The year after that guess who represented TX, the then 550 member Allen Eagle Escadrille who were lucky enough to be marching in the same Parade as the Longhorn Band who were playing in the Rose Bowl.   

2 ln 2008 the TOR made it known that they wanted large Bands.  CA schools may be excellent Parade Bands but with one exception they number about 100 to 140 members. The TOR went through the motions of going to Band Contests throughout CA in the hope of finding a good enough(Big Band) for an appearance. Son of a gun they could not find a big Band.  Now please understand that the TOR invites one Band from CA every 4 years and they are coming again in 2021. THAT IS ARCADIA, which not only is next door to Pasadena but is the 300 plus member monster on the street. They have been to the TOR 17 Times  and if the truth was known they are the only Big Band in CA that can look good against Bands from out of State.

3. This is where BOA comes in. Folks from BOA met with the Tournament of Roses to try and get a selection committee to send the best Bands from BOA contests to the TOR.  The began to look at Bands who were top notch winners in the BOA contests. However the TOR folks did not understand that Drum and Bugle Corps style Bands followed DCI type of Marching .  The TOR thought that the Bands would march like the " COMMANDANT"S OWN"  USMC Drum and Bugle Corps who march a whole lot different than the BOA Bands.  

4. The Rose Parade is a 5 1/2 mile monster to march with a requirement to play 3/4 of the time. The TOR Bands choosen to Pasadena were in most cases a very big disappointment to the TOR. CTJ was great in their Field show before 5,000 folks two days before the Parade, they were in the words of many CA directors who watched their performance" Abysmal " on the street. Other BOA Champions such as Broken Arrow, Dobyns Bennett   and Round Rock also did not impress anyone in the parade.

5. What is not mentioned in this agreement was that the TOR could replace a BOA Band with another Band if they thought the other Band would be a better selection About 3 years ago the Eagle Escadrille from Allen made a return trip to Pasadena. When the TOR offered them an invitation, they happily accepted and BOA sent no Band that year. Allen by the way did a decent job on Grandioso on the street.

6. I think the agreement with the TOR and BOA was not a winner for anyone. I do not blame Bands for not wanting to go and spend several Hundred Thousand Dollars to march down a street.  Trust me it is not worth it. . 

Are we discrediting the Pearland program? I think they worked very hard to get where they are. Also their second year at San Antonio, without being known by anyone, they almost made finals. I don’t think the Rose Parade is why they are in finals.

I don’t think anything I said discreted them or talked about the Rose Parade being why they are in finals.

It wasn’t my intention at all to discredit them

An interesting thing I noticed while watching last night. There are only 4 finalist bands that don't use some form of full field amplification: Vandegrift, Hebron, The Woodlands, and Pearland. For every band that didn't use full field amplification, their Individual Music Performance Score was higher.

Vandegrift:

Ind: 19.6 (1)     Ens: 19.3 (2)

Hebron:

Ind: 19.3 (3)     Ens 18.5 (7)

The Woodlands:

Ind: 18.7 (6)     Ens: 18.3 (8)

Pearland:

Ind: 17.4 (13)   Ens: 17.4 (14)

(Not higher in this case but the same.)

However, most of the bands that do use full field amplification scored lower on the Individual Music Performance. Could this be accredited to the fact that the ensemble sounds better (and louder) when they use full field mics? I know this is common practice in drum corps, but it's interesting to me the trend between scores in the BOA bands doing this. Sometimes it adds a great effect because of the big band brass sound we all know and love, but sometimes it just makes things sound unnatural. For example, in CTJ's show, in their opening brass hit, when they have the forte piano, the entire brass section is in front of their amplification, and it doesn't feel like a natural change in volume from a brass instrument, more of a 'someone turned down the volume knob' that you get by well, turning down a volume knob.

Copied this from the 5A state thread, Credit goes to the original publisher I did not put this together, just wanted to show how competitive this comp is, these bands did not make finals but look at these scores.

5A State participants scores at BOA San Antonio:

1. Cedar Park- 86.70 (22nd)- Panel 2

2. Wakeland- 86.43 (24th)- Panel 1

3. Rouse- 84.93 (31st)- Panel 1

4. Burleson Centennial- 84.80 (33rd)- Panel 2

5. Wylie East- 84.18 (34th)- Panel 2

6. Friendswood- 83.80 (36th)- Panel 2

7. Weiss- 81.60 (41st)- Panel 2

8. Aledo- 81.30 (42nd)- Panel 2

9. Tom Glenn- 79.35 (47th)- Panel 1

10. Pioneer- 76.03 (57th)- Panel 1

An interesting thing I noticed while watching last night. There are only 4 finalist bands that don't use some form of full field amplification: Vandegrift, Hebron, The Woodlands, and Pearland. For every band that didn't use full field amplification, their Individual Music Performance Score was higher.

Vandegrift:

Ind: 19.6 (1) Ens: 19.3 (2)

Hebron:

Ind: 19.3 (3) Ens 18.5 (7)

The Woodlands:

Ind: 18.7 (6) Ens: 18.3 (8)

Pearland:

Ind: 17.4 (13) Ens: 17.4 (14)

(Not higher in this case but the same.)

However, most of the bands that do use full field amplification scored lower on the Individual Music Performance. Could this be accredited to the fact that the ensemble sounds better (and louder) when they use full field mics? I know this is common practice in drum corps, but it's interesting to me the trend between scores in the BOA bands doing this. Sometimes it adds a great effect because of the big band brass sound we all know and love, but sometimes it just makes things sound unnatural. For example, in CTJ's show, in their opening brass hit, when they have the forte piano, the entire brass section is in front of their amplification, and it doesn't feel like a natural change in volume from a brass instrument, more of a 'someone turned down the volume knob' that you get by well, turning down a volume knob.

The difference in scores between the two is even more drastic in prelims:

Vandegrift:

Ind: 19.2 (2) Ens: 18.8 (3)

Hebron:

Ind: 19.1 (3) Ens 18.15 (13)

The Woodlands:

Ind: 19.3 (1) Ens: 18.25 (11)

Pearland:

Ind: 18.3 (12) Ens: 17.25 (32)

It's interesting to see just how much the lack of field mics effect the scores. All of the top 3 bands in individual music didn't use them yet had a significantly lower ensemble music score. I didn't really notice a difference between Vandegrift's and Vista Ridge's volume but we were watching from a poor angle (we only saw those two and CTJ, and CTJ's speakers were pointed away from us so I can't give that great of an opinion on them).

The difference in scores between the two is even more drastic in prelims:

Vandegrift:

Ind: 19.2 (2) Ens: 18.8 (3)

Hebron:

Ind: 19.1 (3) Ens 18.15 (13)

The Woodlands:

Ind: 19.3 (1) Ens: 18.25 (11)

Pearland:

Ind: 18.3 (12) Ens: 17.25 (32)

It's interesting to see just how much the lack of field mics effect the scores. All of the top 3 bands in individual music didn't use them yet had a significantly lower ensemble music score. I didn't really notice a difference between Vandegrift's and Vista Ridge's volume but we were watching from a poor angle (we only saw those two and CTJ, and CTJ's speakers were pointed away from us so I can't give that great of an opinion on them).

I'm not sure how long Vista Ridge has been using field mics, perhaps they haven't fully figured out how to use them to their advantage yet. However, CTJ, who has been using them for a few years now, if not longer, has definitely mastered using the amplification to their advantage. I hope to either see more groups using full field amplification in the future, or seeing a rule change regarding the usage. I think the scores show that a levelling of the playing field is necessary in some way or another.

This is false. Bands that attend Gnats have the choice of whether or not to be considered and a separate committee (not related to the judging of the contest) watches those bands in semifinals and chooses the rose parade participant. The competitive outcome has no bearing, but it’s unsurprising that “good” shows competitively have the same effect on the committee

Originally, the invitation was for the national champion. In 2013, that shifted to highest placing band in finals that didn't decline the invitation, and I believe at some point since then has shifted to highest placing semifinalist band that opted in. In the past few years, there's actually a TOR commitment form directors submit before the event confirming their interest in being selected. I'm like 95% sure that the invitation is still for the highest placing band that opts-in, perhaps that's highest placing band in semis now. Here's the past recipients:

2020: Dobyns-Bennett (10th in finals, 2018)

2019: Flower Mound (5th in finals, 2017)

2018: Ronald Reagan (7th in finals, 2016)

2017: Broken Arrow (1st in finals, 2015)

2016: William Mason (5th in finals, 2014)

2015: Round Rock (4th in finals, 2013)

2014: Carmel (1st in finals, 2012)

2013: Broken Arrow (1st in finals, 2011)

2012: Avon (1st in finals, 2010)

The situation with the Rose Parade brings out some very unpleasant memories about how the BOA got Bands in the Rose Parade.

4. The Rose Parade is a 5 1/2 mile monster to march with a requirement to play 3/4 of the time. The TOR Bands choosen to Pasadena were in most cases a very big disappointment to the TOR. CTJ was great in their Field show before 5,000 folks two days before the Parade, they were in the words of many CA directors who watched their performance" Abysmal " on the street. Other BOA Champions such as Broken Arrow, Dobyns Bennett   and Round Rock also did not impress anyone in the parade.

5. What is not mentioned in this agreement was that the TOR could replace a BOA Band with another Band if they thought the other Band would be a better selection About 3 years ago the Eagle Escadrille from Allen made a return trip to Pasadena. When the TOR offered them an invitation, they happily accepted and BOA sent no Band that year. Allen by the way did a decent job on Grandioso on the street.

A couple of incorrect statements here. There are lots of bands that participate in the parade each year, including many who are regular BOA participants but get invited through the regular selection process instead of through the grand nationals invitation. There have also been a huge number of bands that participate in BOA events that were invited to the Rose Parade prior to the agreement with BOA in 2010 to begin sending the grand national champion each year.

Dobyns-Bennett has never marched in the Rose Parade as the band invited at grand nationals. They will be doing that for the first time in 2020. Each of their past appearances were through TOR's normal application and selection process. I really doubt TOR would continue inviting them back again and again if they a really

TOR hasn't ever replaced the selected band with another band. When Allen made the trip in 2016, William Mason also made the trip that they were invited to from grand nationals in 2014.

I think the invites are actually given by semis placement order but I’m not 100% sure. All I have to support this is a loose claim that Homestead was going to accept the invite but placed below Dobyns in semis so Dobyns were given the invite first instead

I mentioned the new selection process a bit earlier.

First let me explain I grew up in Southern CA and marched with the Spirit of Troy in the Rose Parade while in College. I also worked with Bands in CA that were trying to go to the Rose Parade and had to deal with the Tournament of Roses. The story is not a pretty one.

1. The TOR wants Bands that are at least 250 members.  The Bigger the better. . In 2005 Nacogdoches represented TX(Great Band but not enough folks for the TOR) The next year Kingwood represented the Lone Star State. Better but still not gigantic.  The year after that guess who represented TX, the then 550 member Allen Eagle Escadrille who were lucky enough to be marching in the same Parade as the Longhorn Band who were playing in the Rose Bowl.   

2 ln 2008 the TOR made it known that they wanted large Bands.  CA schools may be excellent Parade Bands but with one exception they number about 100 to 140 members. The TOR went through the motions of going to Band Contests throughout CA in the hope of finding a good enough(Big Band) for an appearance. Son of a gun they could not find a big Band.  Now please understand that the TOR invites one Band from CA every 4 years and they are coming again in 2021. THAT IS ARCADIA, which not only is next door to Pasadena but is the 300 plus member monster on the street. They have been to the TOR 17 Times  and if the truth was known they are the only Big Band in CA that can look good against Bands from out of State.

3. This is where BOA comes in. Folks from BOA met with the Tournament of Roses to try and get a selection committee to send the best Bands from BOA contests to the TOR.  The began to look at Bands who were top notch winners in the BOA contests. However the TOR folks did not understand that Drum and Bugle Corps style Bands followed DCI type of Marching .  The TOR thought that the Bands would march like the " COMMANDANT"S OWN"  USMC Drum and Bugle Corps who march a whole lot different than the BOA Bands.  

6. I think the agreement with the TOR and BOA was not a winner for anyone. I do not blame Bands for not wanting to go and spend several Hundred Thousand Dollars to march down a street.  Trust me it is not worth it. . 

I cannot speak to those that received their invite from a placement  at BOA - I can speak to the extensive process that our program went through for acceptance and an invite to TOR - if they felt that CTJ was "abysmal" then they should cross check their acceptance committee.

It was very clear in our submission package that our program is located in the great state of Texas and in addition to our participation in BOA, all the Texas competitions either local or UIL do not include a parade competition. Texas bands have never been involved in a parade "competition" and parades are a loosely marched party.

as someone who grew up in CA and marched 4 years of parades in the morning and field show in the evening - I understand the difference. I also grew up at a time when the biggest marching event in CA was the "All Western Band Review" in Long Beach - the CA equivalent of Grand Nats for a Parade Bands that required an extensive screening process that included multiple submissions of competition results, tapes, pics and videos to get accepted - proud that I marched the event in 82 and 83 - 

I remember a good deal of our HS marching practice started with parade practice before we worked the field show and we marched traditional marches (Washington Grays my personal favorite) 

our acceptance was extended by the TOR committee and they knew who we were when they offered the spot - I was proud to have my daughter march the TOR and will be proud to say the same of my son in the near future.

Parades are not our thing in Texas - if TOR does not want Texas style programs, they should not offer a spot - but get ready because I have a feeling we are coming back, and not via a BOA offer but by our own acceptance offer

Have a great evening

Slight interjection into the topic at hand but John B Alexander has seriously become one of my favorite groups of all time. They don’t perform for judges or placements, they perform their way into all of our hearts. Those students are so very passionate in what they do, and deserve so much more credit than those scores are giving them. Sure, they may not play to impress judges anyways, but their shows these past couple years have been total crowd favorites, and even then they have been looking and sounding better and better every year. This whole 58th place thing really leaves me scratching my head. I sure hope that one day soon in the future they can earn themselves a spot in finals, because lord knows they deserve it.

Slight interjection into the topic at hand but John B Alexander has seriously become one of my favorite groups of all time. They don’t perform for judges or placements, they perform their way into all of our hearts. Those students are so very passionate in what they do, and deserve so much more credit than those scores are giving them. Sure, they may not play to impress judges anyways, but their shows these past couple years have been total crowd favorites, and even then they have been looking and sounding better and better every year. This whole 58th place thing really leaves me scratching my head. I sure hope that one day soon in the future they can earn themselves a spot in finals, because lord knows they deserve it.

Really unfortunate that I missed their performance. Not sure what could have caused the judges to rank them the way they did; they were so impressive at McAllen. Some other shocking statistics:

Their McAllen finals score was higher than their SA score.

They were outscored by both Pioneer (57th) and Roma (40th).

Imo JBA will be just fine if they keep doing their thing. Mix in late-season cleanliness with their unparalleled emotion, and they will be rewarded. Give ‘em some time.