2019 BOA San Antonio

Perfect way for Vista Ridge to show people that last year wasn't a fluke.

From 20th (2015), to 18th (2016), to 16th (2017), to 4th (2018), and finally to 3rd (2019). Absolutely insane. 

All of the other bands were amazing but I wish people would talk more about Vista Ridge other than how it's worse than Lost and Found or how they stole the Mandarins prop or how the soprano soloist is a weak link. Additionally, there were numerous people on the HornRank forums talking about their "brass sound is inconsistent" and that their "HornRank placement inaccurately placed them higher than they should be". Everyone has been putting them at the 6th to 9th/10th range, but they surely Turned the Tables on us.

Can't wait for them to go to Grand Nationals next year.

The more I sift through the recaps, the more baffling they become. It just seems like the judges and I watched very different shows this weekend. To each his own, I guess!

At least the band that should have won came out on top, and with the highest ever finals score a Texas band has posted! Congrats to Reagan!

I’m interested to see what happens at Nationals with our TX groups. They’ve got 2 weeks, and as 2016 demonstrated, what happens at San Antonio isn’t always the best predictor of what happens at Nats. I am, of course, super excited at the prospect of 6 TX bands in finals. And hopefully Vandy’s music can put them over the edge and help them bring the Eagle back to Texas.

Actually this isn’t the highest score a texas band has scored! In 2015 Hebron scored a 97.85 making it the highest BOA score in BOA history.

Perfect way for Vista Ridge to show people that last year wasn't a fluke.

From 20th (2015), to 18th (2016), to 16th (2017), to 4th (2018), and finally to 3rd (2019). Absolutely insane.

All of the other bands were amazing but I wish people would talk more about Vista Ridge other than how it's worse than Lost and Found or how they stole the Mandarins prop or how the soprano soloist is a weak link. Additionally, there were numerous people on the HornRank forums talking about their "brass sound is inconsistent" and that their "HornRank placement inaccurately placed them higher than they should be". Everyone has been putting them at the 6th to 9th/10th range, but they surely Turned the Tables on us.

Can't wait for them to go to Grand Nationals next year.

They were absolutely incredible to me. I felt medalist when I saw them in prelims but others seemed to disagree. It wasn't like Lost and Found at all but I really liked that, guess thats how you turn the tables!

The more I sift through the recaps, the more baffling they become. It just seems like the judges and I watched very different shows this weekend. To each his own, I guess!

At least the band that should have won came out on top, and with the highest ever finals score a Texas band has posted! Congrats to Reagan!

I’m interested to see what happens at Nationals with our TX groups. They’ve got 2 weeks, and as 2016 demonstrated, what happens at San Antonio isn’t always the best predictor of what happens at Nats. I am, of course, super excited at the prospect of 6 TX bands in finals. And hopefully Vandy’s music can put them over the edge and help them bring the Eagle back to Texas.

I didn't realize what that truly meant until just now. The thought of Vandegrift becoming Grand National Champion on their first trip to Indy is a possibility and I could not be more awestruck by that. How exciting is that.  

Congratulations to Ronald Reagan for taking the gold!! I’m so proud of them :D Their show was absolutely amazing - even though I ended up being torn between them and Vista Ridge for my favorite show (that sound!!!) ;) Besides those two, my personal favorite was Leander - I always enjoy their shows so much!!

The rest of my quick thoughts: Marcus always has such beautiful visuals; Keller and Hebron’s music was outstanding; James Bowie, Round Rock, and LD Bell were obviously having so much fun with their shows (and it showed in their high level of execution!); and Claudia Taylor Johnson, Flower Mound, the Woodlands, and Vandegrift’s shows were just all-around a fun treat to watch. And of course it was awesome seeing Pearland in finals for the first time!

TL;DR: All of the bands tonight had such wonderful performances. There was so much energy in every show and it was obvious the kids were really enjoying every minute out on the field too! You band parents definitely brought the hype (I was sitting near some Reagan and Leander parents, and hoo boy!) :)

Regardless of placement (I agree that many of them are strange...), congratulations to everyone who performed this weekend, and best of luck to those moving on to Grand Nationals!

I'm interested to see what happens at Nationals with our TX groups. They’ve got 2 weeks, and as 2016 demonstrated, what happens at San Antonio isn’t always the best predictor of what happens at Nats. I am, of course, super excited at the prospect of 6 TX bands in finals. And hopefully Vandy’s music can put them over the edge and help them bring the Eagle back to Texas.

The difference is in 2016 we only had one week in between SA and GN and also had 6A State to deal with.  This year we have two weeks and no state. 

In 2016, an 85 was a seat in finals. Today, that doesn't even get into the top 30.

In 2016, 5 bands were within 3 points of finals. Today, 14 bands were within 3 points of finals.

Some of the same performers were on the field for both of these years. Times change... fast.

The conversation about this contest having semifinals needs to be happening now. Prelims/Finals only is no longer a reliable method for this contest.