2019 BOA San Antonio

Yes we do, and he is a main reason why we have come so far, he joined in 2017 and helped John Horn become who we are now. But it's not over yet, he wrote the show One Of Many, Many Of One mostly all by himself. 2019 is going to be a big year for us and a big change. I hope it goes great. Thanks for the support!

good luck - look forward to your 2019 season

Yes we do, and he is a main reason why we have come so far, he joined in 2017 and helped John Horn become who we are now. But it's not over yet, he wrote the show One Of Many, Many Of One mostly all by himself. 2019 is going to be a big year for us and a big change. I hope it goes great. Thanks for the support!

That’s so exciting! You all will really enjoy BOA, madness and all! :)

As parents who weren't chaperoning, we were warmly welcomed everywhere we went. Our kids felt the same way as they made many new friends there, as did we. We had such a blast that I've already scheduled vacation time and planning on a trip back to SA this year just to watch and enjoy. Now, "Y'all", I expect a contest where no one really knows who will make finals and no one even has a clue who will actually win the thing. IMHO, SA 2017 was better live than GN 2017 live, and I was at both. So get to it! :)

I think San Antonio will be back itself this year. The constant rain last fall took a toll on a lot of bands in Texas, particularly if they tried to put together a difficult marching drill. So with hopefully no hurricanes and a drier fall, look out. I’m glad to see the out of state bands coming in, that adds a lot to the atmosphere, don’t think we’ll see either in finals but who knows. There’s a solid top 25 bands at boa SA, Vista Murrieta have to really bring it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm kinda nervous yet excited now that Mr. Brown is taking Dawson to BOA again after our previous director said he'd never again sign us up for that contest. I dunno how well we will place given the director change and everything but if state last year was any indication I'm hoping we slide right in at 16th

Or better than that.  Dawson has had a rough go of it since the changes in 2013, but it seems like things are looking up for the program!

If I've said it once, I'll say it again: V I S T A R I D G E

On a more serious note, I cannot wait to see what they're up to this season. I was at the Capital yesterday and their drumline happened to perform for us. I don't really like drumlines most of the time, but it was really awesome.

A little birdie told me they got rid of their design team from last year and went with a new team at the last minute.  Don't know the whole story but it sounds risky to me.

A little birdie told me they got rid of their design team from last year and went with a new team at the last minute.  Don't know the whole story but it sounds risky to me.

I don't know if I'd call it last minute. From my knowledge all that hiring/firing process was started before the season was even complete and finished at least well before the end of 2018 if not before the end of November.

Vista Ridge will be juuuuuust fine :)

The show design business is just like any other contract business. Even when successful, arrangers and writers are let go for various reasons. Sounds like the program wants to go in a different direction from a design perspective.

We must always keep in mind that the students make the show special. Design helps, but kiddos that are passionate about what they do can bring anything to light and make the crowd ignite.

Vista Ridge will be juuuuuust fine :)

The show design business is just like any other contract business. Even when successful, arrangers and writers are let go for various reasons. Sounds like the program wants to go in a different direction from a design perspective.

We must always keep in mind that the students make the show special. Design helps, but kiddos that are passionate about what they do can bring anything to light and make the crowd ignite.

Does seem like an odd move though. My guess (hope?) is that they've thought "alright, we made a huge leap largely due to a once in a generation kind of 'universally loved by all' show design. But if we want to stay in this echelon, we're gonna have to take the next step in pushing the envelope." Because, as has been pointed out, VR by no means had the most difficult show in the state (not taking away anything of course. I've expressed my love for the show plenty), and have generally been pretty conservative. Similar to how the dance team integration was fantastic a few years ago, but they made the switch back to color guard as an investment in the future, I see this as a similar move. Can't wait to see what they show up with next year.

Catching up on my reading and someone is going to have to fill me in on John Horn.  My first thought was how Homestead, IN had been out of BOA for about 20yrs and decided to get back in and made finals, because I got to see it happen.   I haven't heard of John Horn, but just watch a video of their 2018 state finals and am impressed.  Definitely not a "Park and Play" band and you could sense the excitement and energy from the field from the video. Clean sound and I saw rifles.   It think I saw they were 6a so they could go play a little being this is an odd year?  Could they be a sleeper for BOA contests this year?  Now I'm curious.

Catching up on my reading and someone is going to have to fill me in on John Horn. My first thought was how Homestead, IN had been out of BOA for about 20yrs and decided to get back in and made finals, because I got to see it happen. I haven't heard of John Horn, but just watch a video of their 2018 state finals and am impressed. Definitely not a "Park and Play" band and you could sense the excitement and energy from the field from the video. Clean sound and I saw rifles. It think I saw they were 6a so they could go play a little being this is an odd year? Could they be a sleeper for BOA contests this year? Now I'm curious.

What exactly do you wanna know?

Just for starters, they're a relatively new high school from DFW, being opened in 2000. The head director has been there since the beginning, but stepped aside and let an assistant director take the reigns for marching band in 2017. If I remember right, they weren't even close to making Area C Finals in 2016, so the change he brought was VERY drastic. I definitely think they could be a sleeper for BOA. And I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see them be a consistent BOA Regional finalist in the future if the assistant director/marching band director doesn't leave.

What exactly do you wanna know?

Just for starters, they're a relatively new high school from DFW, being opened in 2000. The head director has been there since the beginning, but stepped aside and let an assistant director take the reigns for marching band in 2017. If I remember right, they weren't even close to making Area C Finals in 2016, so the change he brought was VERY drastic. I definitely think they could be a sleeper for BOA. And I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see them be a consistent BOA Regional finalist in the future if the assistant director/marching band director doesn't leave.

Thanks, that helps a bit.  I've been following the Tx bands for a few years and hadn't heard of them.  Makes sense with a somewhat director change and having a break out year.  Up here, Brownsburg did this about 3 years ago with a new director and ended up in state finals and BOA regionals.  Talking with their parents, the kids were excited at the new direction and wanted to be the best and it showed.  Sounds like John Horn could be doing the same thing and hopefully adds to your great competitions down there.  

I honestly think that if John Horn had attended BOA DFW this past season they would have likely made finals or been very very very close. Top 13 at the very least. 

I remember watching John Horn during the UIL state contest; holy heck did they bring volume. I was impressed beyond belief, with how this high school (of which I had never previously heard of,) sounded so great and had such an well designed show, and then didn't make finals. While I'm not a fan of their uniforms (personal preference is all), their show was so good that I actually still watch their performance on YouTube every now and then. I wish them the best this upcoming season, and that I get to see them at BOA DFW :)

Having gotten to see them live, the word "crass" comes to mind when thinking of their sound. Yes, it's powerful and that definitely elicits an emotional response from the crowd, but all of the top groups are just more refined in their execution. Maybe they'll continue to refine that volume over the next few years, but for the time being I'd be surprised to see them in the finals of a contest like BOA DFW given the depth we always see there.