2019 BOA San Antonio

I noticed that the 2018 BOA San Antonio post was started in late November last year. as we are now 8 hours removed from the BOA SA Finals, i think it is time to start thinking about what next year will bring. as we all know there are band directors across the state that are already thinking this as they pour their first cup of joe this morning - some have already been planning.

the 2018 BOA SA post had 1,185 replies (and will get more in the next week or so) and more than 136,000 views - so lets get started

so let's start by looking at the top five from this weekend 

• FlowerMound - 3rd gold in 4 years - in 2014 FloMo was 13th in Finals in SA - in 2015,16 and 18 gold - amazing
  • Reagan - coming back strong - looking like the Reagan of a dozen years ago
  • Hebron - always the Bridesmaid? since 2014 they have placed 6th, 4th, 5th, 2nd, and now 3rd. such an awesome musical program. but GE is a huge part of the score. in those past 5 years, their GE score has never been higher than their placements - though 2018 was their best GE placement at 3rd
  • Vista Ridge - your party has arrived. placing 16 in prelims in 2017 to 4th in 2018. Loved the show on Saturday. I had predicted 3rd after that finals performance - cannot wait to see what 2019 will bring. is it more of the same?
  • CTJ - 8 years in the top 5 in SA for a school open 11 years - and 2 SA wins in the past 5 years. shows are always out of the box - what will next year bring?

how many of these programs will venture to Indy in 2019?

will any of them venture out of state for other BOA shows other than Indy?

is there a tie to the last 5 BOA SA winners have a Jaguar mascot (FloMo and CTJ)?

will we see more changes to the BOA SA format -went from 64 to 84 bands this year and the panel 1 and 2 prelim format. is there more changes coming?

so there it is - let the discussions begin

I personally can’t wait. It will be my senior year and hopefully I will finally get the luxury of watching live. This competition just grows in competitiveness every year. Imo this is quickly becoming the most competitive competition environment in all sports and performing arts community. More people need to be exposed to this level of competition. This needs it’s own spot on live television.

I personally can’t wait. It will be my senior year and hopefully I will finally get the luxury of watching live. This competition just grows in competitiveness every year. Imo this is quickly becoming the most competitive competition environment in all sports and performing arts community. More people need to be exposed to this level of competition. This needs it’s own spot on live television.

FloMarching and BOA will have to relinquish their tight fisted grip on media rules, and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Subriptions from the live stream is revenue for them and televised coverage would have an impact on that.

Agreed though. If you review the hits that Youtube posts get, there could be a market out there. Just think of how band membership and the music arts in general would grow.

FloMarching and BOA will have to relinquish their tight fisted grip on media rules, and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Subriptions from the live stream is revenue for them and televised coverage would have an impact on that.

Agreed though. If you review the hits that Youtube posts get, there could be a market out there. Just think of how band membership and the music arts in general would grow.

agreed - it is a revenue stream that they have no intention of giving up - marketing is their mantra and they have no intention of surrendering that - it is money in the bank

I noticed that the 2018 BOA San Antonio post was started in late November last year. as we are now 8 hours removed from the BOA SA Finals, i think it is time to start thinking about what next year will bring. as we all know there are band directors across the state that are already thinking this as they pour their first cup of joe this morning - some have already been planning.

the 2018 BOA SA post had 1,185 replies (and will get more in the next week or so) and more than 136,000 views - so lets get started

so let's start by looking at the top five from this weekend

• FlowerMound - 3rd gold in 4 years - in 2014 FloMo was 13th in Finals in SA - in 2015,16 and 18 gold - amazing
  • Reagan - coming back strong - looking like the Reagan of a dozen years ago
  • Hebron - always the Bridesmaid? since 2014 they have placed 6th, 4th, 5th, 2nd, and now 3rd. such an awesome musical program. but GE is a huge part of the score. in those past 5 years, their GE score has never been higher than their placements - though 2018 was their best GE placement at 3rd
  • Vista Ridge - your party has arrived. placing 16 in prelims in 2017 to 4th in 2018. Loved the show on Saturday. I had predicted 3rd after that finals performance - cannot wait to see what 2019 will bring. is it more of the same?
  • CTJ - 8 years in the top 5 in SA for a school open 11 years - and 2 SA wins in the past 5 years. shows are always out of the box - what will next year bring?
how many of these programs will venture to Indy in 2019?

will any of them venture out of state for other BOA shows other than Indy?

is there a tie to the last 5 BOA SA winners have a Jaguar mascot (FloMo and CTJ)?

will we see more changes to the BOA SA format -went from 64 to 84 bands this year and the panel 1 and 2 prelim format. is there more changes coming?

so there it is - let the discussions begin

I know you didn't mean to leave us out but Leander is going and 6th place ain't too shabby. :P

I know you didn't mean to leave us out but Leander is going and 6th place ain't too shabby. :P

no intent to leave anyone out - but if I listed every great band in finals and beyond - I would still be typing till tomorrow

Leander blew me away this weekend - great show - look forward to their growth

no intent to leave anyone out - but if I listed every great band in finals and beyond - I would still be typing till tomorrow

Leander blew me away this weekend - great show - look forward to their growth

I know. I was just teasing you since you said you've been on the hot seat so much lately. :) Looks like you are temporarily off the hook though with all the fights that are breaking out between the new kids in town!

There were some great bands in and just out of finals last night for sure. I'm hoping to do a personal recap later of my impressions overall of the weekend.

I'm sure hoping CTJ goes back to Indy with us next fall.

I know. I was just teasing you since you said you've been on the hot seat so much lately. :) Looks like you are temporarily off the hook though with all the fights that are breaking out between the new kids in town!

There were some great bands in and just out of finals last night for sure. I'm hoping to do a personal recap later of my impressions overall of the weekend.

I'm sure hoping CTJ goes back to Indy with us next fall.

not sure what the plan for CTJ is - Just an alumni parent that supports the program. but I would assume they have bigger aspirations than just GNATS 

I would love to see your personal recap of the BOA SA weekend -   is that coming soon??? 

not sure what the plan for CTJ is - Just an alumni parent that supports the program. but I would assume they have bigger aspirations than just GNATS

I would love to see your personal recap of the BOA SA weekend - is that coming soon???

CTJ's ultimate goal...to become a drum corps, or at least as good as one. Oh wait...

I'm hoping to recap tonight. Unfortunately I left my laptop at work. That could be a definite hindrance. :lol:

This will never happen because of various structural reasons, but otherwise, I honestly wouldn’t be surprised in the least if CTJ just went full Star of Indiana / Onyx and did a completely independent thing a la Blast instead of competing. I actually think they would kill such a production.

But we’re here instead :)

This will never happen because of various structural reasons, but otherwise, I honestly wouldn’t be surprised in the least if CTJ just went full Star of Indiana / Onyx and did a completely independent thing a la Blast instead of competing. I actually think they would kill such a production.

But we’re here instead :)

:D

Everyone else is afraid. Tarpon Springs and Broken Arrow both don't want to risk losing a regional, and Blue Springs doesn't want to lose a medal (and end up in the bottom half). Avon now gets to say they did it, but lost their streak of medals in the process. It's cost prohibitive for Dobyns-Bennett and Wando isn't a band that travels much. Every other band - quite literally every other one in question - would be in grave danger of missing finals.

For better or worse, this regional is Texas's turf. Other bands can come at their own risk.

Carmel is the only exception. They won last time they came down. Dang Carmelites.