BOA Indy 2018 Super Regional

Trinity 18th
Richland 27th

Honestly, I'm shocked by Richland's placement.

As principalagent said elsewhere, partly it's the rain. As a result, prelims was their 2nd run-through, or so I hear. But that's not the whole story, of course, because Trinity has gotten a lot of rain as well. So, I think partly they are still trying to find their identity design-wise, or in some crucial components of in-house comportment. (As to what, exactly, I would be throwing darts to find out.) With their past couple years of success with Cartwright, I thought they had everything nailed down, but evidently not.

Last time they went to Indy they got 22nd and scored a tad higher. My honest opinion is that they have in fact improved since then. However, I am worried that they are not able yet to consistently keep pace with the increasing depth of competition. And I honestly don't know what it is precisely that they need to do to keep pace in that way. The fact that they won Mansfield, especially since we don't know the score spread and there was only a prelims, I don't think was able to tell us much about where they are this season.

Maybe you meant you were surprised -- and perhaps this is more what you meant -- that they placed where they did given what everyone thought after seeing them by stream or live. That... I am not fully certain how to account for. It wasn't like a VGE judge blew out the score or something. The numbers were generally very depressed and flat across captions, compared to finalist standards in prelims (although it is noteworthy that they were lower in individual performance captions and in VGE). But the fact that there was uniformity in the judging, notwithstanding new procedures, is a sign of reality. Recall I've talked before about how a range of legitimate scores can be given to the self-same performance. I think Richland swung very low in that range, for whatever reason, whereas people were tending to put them up higher in that range -- and probably it could have very well happened with a different panel -- given their success in recent years. That's my best shot at an explanation.

It may also be worth noting that a similar situation happened regarding Rosemount. They barely made it into finals, whereas a lot of people were placing them into the upper half after seeing the stream. Sometimes these confusions can happen, especially if you're not live for the event.

Addendum: At any rate, I don't think any Richland kids or parents reading this should hang their heads too low. They are quite good, and I suspect they know it. I've seen them in person several times. But a lot of other bands are very good too, and this just is how the chips fell.