Area B 2018

Well I guess the one true thing about the bands in the Area B contest is that nothing is in Black and White. And although

our opinions of the bands might be Polar Opposites,  we will all agree the all the bands and their kids are great and it will

be one heck of a competition.  :)        

I personally think there should be more Polarity in the comments.   :lol:

LOL,  I was waiting for someone to see the little pun in my post!     And you came back with an excellent response! 

Lol Danpod. Seriously though, since apparently I was the one who set this in motion let me clarify as best as I can.

1) I mentioned Haltom because that is one band that has been hyped up by certain folks on this particular board.

2) But nowhere did I say that they aren’t a great band. They may very easily advance to State as could many of the other bands in this Area. And I will applaud them just as I would applaud all the other bands. It is a testament to the marching community that we all stand up when a band finishes performing.

3) my only point in that particular post was it is hard to differentiate between biased (and by bias I mean a natural bias toward your own program) and unbiased opinions (and let’s be honest, by now we all know who the Haltom supporters are) .

Honestly it’s great that y’all are so hyped up about the program. All the best to Haltom and all the other bands. They are ALL great and it’s going to be a fun Saturday.

To add another opinion- people are WAY overreacting on here. All someone said was that they weren't sure if all of these people putting Haltom first was because of bias and hype or if they actually have improved that much (a valid question considering the season they have when compared to the accomplishments of their competitors) and all of the Haltom people come out of the woodworks to attack everyone for "attacking" them.

Thank you. That was/is my only point

Any thoughts on Timber Creek?

They've had an amazing year...a ton of improvement. To me, they basically came out of nowhere...to those closer to the program, their success probably wasn't as much of a surprise.

They should be an Area finalist but beyond that? Man.......who knows?

Area B results = ice cream headache

Some of us have had an eye on Timber Creek for awhile but it's true they were still on the edge of the radar for many. I found this gem lurking in the 2016 Area B discussion. I haven't fact checked it yet but here you go...

Amazing display tonight! Truly all of the finalists bands tonight showed serious state-level quality! Shame that more couldn't advance.

On another note, here's a fun (or not so fun) fact; EVERY SINGLE area competition that the Timber Creek Band has ever attended has resulted in them being first-runner up to attend the State Marching Band Contest:

2011: 5th place (advance 4)

2012: 5th Place (advance 4)

2014: 2nd Place (advance 1)

2016: 6th place (advance 5)

As an alumni it breaks my heart to see this band having gone through so much, but I can't help but smile to see the way they performed tonight and the undeniable progress they have achieved. KOKO Falcon Band!!

How's that for perspective on what it would mean to have one more band advance to the SMBC?!?

Some of us have had an eye on Timber Creek for awhile but it's true they were still on the edge of the radar for many. I found this gem lurking in the 2016 Area B discussion. I haven't fact checked it yet but here you go...

How's that for perspective on what it would mean to have one more band advance to the SMBC?!?

Yeah it’s going to be crazy competition for those top 5 spots, when there were 6 there was at least a slight idea of who could make it, now I just have no idea

Yikes! Lesson learned: Next time go to Region 30 and when you get home after midnight, go straight to bed. Don't login to TxBands and spend the next four hours reading and commenting. Just wait for it to blow up the next day.

Please don't take my statement as a slight to Keller. That's not the case. They are a great band. I was simply attempting to illustrate the level of competition that will be on display on Saturday. Given the challenges with weather and the recent time to clean & polish their shows I really believe that any of the top bands in this area could win it. Also consider that there will be bands there that can definitely make finals should one of the bands that are being talked about have a bad run.  

No problem, your comment was entirely respectful. I just wanted to add some additional context.

You’re just reinforcing what I said. All bands in this area will have to bring it big time! Leave nothing behind so they are not left behind. Sad though that some of the great bands of this season and past, will end up being hugely disappointed.

Yes, again I was trying to add context for those who need it.

I'd like both of you to know my comments were primarily directed at a wider audience of hopeful fans, not so much you two specifically. I was, in part, trying to avoid the nuclear detonation that happened on the last couple pages. I utterly failed. (No more complex comments on sensitive topics after 2:00 AM for me.)

I'm not going to beat that dead horse again. Well, at least not right now. Some difficult lessons may be learned the hard way Saturday night.

Five bands...only five... This is so bittersweet.

Yep. Trust me those placements are 100% correct. In fact, here's a FloMarching video with Timber's director where she even confirms this (skip to 4:18):

https://www.flomarching.com/video/6253707-darla-mcbryde-on-timber-creeks-2018-season

If that's not enough take it from personal experience as a former member. So proud of these guys and how far they've come.

If I were to rank the bands TRULY and in my UNBIASED opinion.....

1. Keller

2. Waxahachie

3. LD Bell

4. Prosper

5. Duncanville

6. Coppell

7. Timber Creek

8. Haltom

9. Richland

10. Keller Central

Don't @ me

Just curious, have you seen all of these bands, or just going by what you have heard?