Area B 2018

I don’t know whether to buy into the Haltom hype of today or whether it’s just hype. See, that’s the problem with folks promoting their own program constantly- it results in a feeling of skepticism when someone might actually suggest they’re good. I guess we will find out on Saturday.

Literally every band except Keller in this area is going to be a big question mark on Saturday...I’m so excited!

Literally every band except Keller in this area is going to be a big question mark on Saturday...I’m so excited!

Remember, Duncanville and Coppell beat Keller at 2016 Area Prelims. I honestly don’t think anyone is totally safe. At this point, they’ve got to put it all out there. Sadly some very good bands are going to be very disappointed.

Edited to add, I’m not saying past performance is a determining factor but just reminding folks that anything is possible

Yes, Keller has been strong but they have been beaten by another school in this area already.

No, they haven't. That is an incomplete picture of what happened. It also ignores the fact that Prelims and Finals serve different purposes. Prosper was ahead after Prelims (for a variety of reasons) but Keller won that competition and Prosper placed 3rd. The gap widened a week later at BOA DFW.

Remember, Duncanville and Coppell beat Keller at 2016 Area Prelims.

Yes, in Prelims Duncanville was 1st, Coppell was 3rd and Keller was 4th. But in Finals Keller won Area B, Duncanville was 2nd, and Coppell was 4th. Also keep in mind, Area B is really just an extension of Prelims for the State Marching Contest and there Keller finished 5th, Coppell was 11th and Duncanville, who was 1st in Prelims at the toughest Area in the State missed Finals and finished 16th. Two years ago...

I'm not trying to make predictions, or say nice things about one band, or undermine past accomplishments of others. My point is different. For judges, Prelims and Finals serve different purposes. Prelims are for getting the right bands into Finals and Finals are for putting them into the correct order. If the Prelims order is already correct that's a bonus, but it's not really the highest priority. If you are getting your hopes up based on Prelims, from previous contests (especially from a different year), history tells us you're easily headed for disappointment. And on Saturday if you make travel plans after Prelims because you're too excited to wait for Finals results, make sure the reservations are refundable. This will be a battle to the end.

As Dan said:

Perform.

(Twice would be a good plan.)

P.S. I made my non-refundable reservations more than a month ago. But then I'm a fool who believes.

No, they haven't. That is an incomplete picture of what happened. It also ignores the fact that Prelims and Finals serve different purposes. Prosper was ahead after Prelims (for a variety of reasons) but Keller won that competition and Prosper placed 3rd. The gap widened a week later at BOA DFW.

Yes, in Prelims Duncanville was 1st, Coppell was 3rd and Keller was 4th. But in Finals Keller won Area B, Duncanville was 2nd, and Coppell was 4th. Also keep in mind, Area B is really just an extension of Prelims for the State Marching Contest and there Keller finished 5th, Coppell was 11th and Duncanville, who was 1st in Prelims at the toughest Area in the State missed Finals and finished 16th. Two years ago...

I'm not trying to make predictions, or say nice things about one band, or undermine past accomplishments of others. My point is different. For judges, Prelims and Finals serve different purposes. Prelims are for getting the right bands into Finals and Finals are for putting them into the correct order. If the Prelims order is already correct that's a bonus, but it's not really the highest priority. If you are getting your hopes up based on Prelims, from previous contests (especially from a different year), history tells us you're easily headed for disappointment. And on Saturday if you make travel plans after Prelims because you're too excited to wait for Finals results, make sure the reservations are refundable. This will be a battle to the end.

As Dan said:

Perform.

P.S. I made my non-refundable reservations more than a month ago. But then I'm a fool who believes.

You’re just reinforcing what I said. All bands in this area will have to bring it big time! Leave nothing behind so they are not left behind. Sad though that some of the great bands of this season and past, will end up being hugely disappointed.

I don’t know whether to buy into the Haltom hype of today or whether it’s just hype. See, that’s the problem with folks promoting their own program constantly- it results in a feeling of skepticism when someone might actually suggest they’re good. I guess we will find out on Saturday.

I find this thought process interesting. Do you question the hype for other bands or is it just Haltom? Everyone gets excited about the programs they have a connection to. I don't happen to have any kids in the band right now, so my inclination is to view the band my kids used to be in with more perspective and thought over "blind love." I've also perused this board for years and Haltom was often forgotten or downgraded, even when they made state in 2010, after a major change in their directors (their director left to go to Bell). So now they have more fans on here, but our opinions are "suspect." I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Despite the gain of fans, Haltom is still downgraded by others. Shame. Those are some really talented kids who just happen to live in a huge footprint where middle and lower class mix. They work hard, just like the other bands do. But by all means, downgrade them. Don't "believe the hype." That's your prerogative. I'm going to be over here, excited for them and ALL of the bands in Area B, because I believe in the band kids and listen. You others who are connected to other programs, keep on cheering them on! I will never grumble about the "hype."

I find this thought process interesting. Do you question the hype for other bands or is it just Haltom? Everyone gets excited about the programs they have a connection to. I don't happen to have any kids in the band right now, so my inclination is to view the band my kids used to be in with more perspective and thought over "blind love." I've also perused this board for years and Haltom was often forgotten or downgraded, even when they made state in 2010, after a major change in their directors (their director left to go to Bell). So now they have more fans on here, but our opinions are "suspect." I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Despite the gain of fans, Haltom is still downgraded by others. Shame. Those are some really talented kids who just happen to live in a huge footprint where middle and lower class mix. They work hard, just like the other bands do. But by all means, downgrade them. Don't "believe the hype." That's your prerogative. I'm going to be over here, excited for them and ALL of the bands in Area B, because I believe in the band kids and listen. You others who are connected to other programs, keep on cheering them on! I will never grumble about the "hype."

Downgraded???  Come on....

You won't find a bigger advocate for Haltom than I was earlier this year but there's hype and then there's rational hype....Haltom has finished 5th in two contests this season and there are people placing them in first place in Area B.

Calling someone out for that is not "downgrading" Haltom....it's being realistic.  Richland beat Haltom at Mansfield....I don't see any "hype" for Richland here.  Shouldn't the Richland fans be up-in-arms?  Is Richland being disrespected? 

Of course not....it's realism.  I didn't see the shows last night but both made 1s....both are great programs...both should be realistic about the challenges they are about to face in a few days.

This will all play out Saturday.

As Dan said:

Perform.

Please don't take my statement as a slight to Keller. That's not the case. They are a great band. I was simply attempting to illustrate the level of competition that will be on display on Saturday. Given the challenges with weather and the recent time to clean & polish their shows I really believe that any of the top bands in this area could win it. Also consider that there will be bands there that can definitely make finals should one of the bands that are being talked about have a bad run.  

Downgraded??? Come on....

You won't find a bigger advocate for Haltom than I was earlier this year but there's hype and then there's rational hype....Haltom has finished 5th in two contests this season and there are people placing them in first place in Area B.

Calling someone out for that is not "downgrading" Haltom....it's being realistic. Richland beat Haltom at Mansfield....I don't see any "hype" for Richland here. Shouldn't the Richland fans be up-in-arms? Is Richland being disrespected?

Of course not....it's realism. I didn't see the shows last night but both made 1s....both are great programs...both should be realistic about the challenges they are about to face in a few days.

This will all play out Saturday.

I did not stutter. I chose my words carefully, so calm down. My issue is that many bands are "hyped" on here. That's supposed to be part of the fun of it? We get excited about what each program is doing. Haltom has had a rough season, yes, but that only makes room for improvement. So if someone wants to say Richland is the best in their opinion. Go for it! The world is full of reality. Watch the news for it. I come here to read about people's excitement for their programs, not someone grumbling because they don't like someone else's enthusiasm. I've waited YEARS to have other people as excited about Haltom as I am. It doesn't mean they are blindly loving them for Pete's sake. Chill.

All the kids work hard and all the bands are great. That is never a question! Please do not attempt to twist my words into something they are not. No one is downgrading anyone. It’s just that there’s a couple of folks here that relentlessly go on and on about Haltom so it comes across as a biased view. And naturally, everyone has a bias toward their own band, that’s perfectly normal. But it makes it harder for those who are viewing from the outside to sift between biased and unbiased opinions

Twisting? lol My dude, you basically said you can't buy into Haltom's program being good because you feel the hype isn't "real." You made a point to grumble about Haltom. Just Haltom and no other band. Then you don't want anyone to @ you. I'm just saying...people get excited about the programs they're involved with. We all do it. Opinions are just that...opinions. If you find one set "suspect," then all should be suspect. Humans are biased by nature. Also, I simply said I find your line of thinking... interesting. It's literally all good with me. I promise I will sit in my corner and eat my popcorn from now on and remain silent.

See I’m still relatively new to this forum and I have a passion for bands . I went to birdville high school way back when and I’ve always had a love for haltom a shows. With that being said I go into contest to watch all band and never have biased . I just like some sound and design more than others. With that being said this forum should have so much arguing . It’s people opinion. Let people hype up groups . I try to get feedback to all group just because it interests me a lot and I have fun doing it . But if you are gonna complain about people so much “hyping “ a program than there is no need for you to be on a forum where band parents , alumni and student like to give there opinions and show there love for there bands . No matter what my opinion is or yours it doesn’t matter and what matter is the judges on Saturday and you they think should advance . With that being said yes prediction are opinion and you should attack someone for liking a program more than another . I love giving my opinion and that’s why I joined but y’all needa chill

See I’m still relatively new to this forum and I have a passion for bands . I went to birdville high school way back when and I’ve always had a love for haltom a shows. With that being said I go into contest to watch all band and never have biased . I just like some sound and design more than others. With that being said this forum should have so much arguing . It’s people opinion. Let people hype up groups . I try to get feedback to all group just because it interests me a lot and I have fun doing it . But if you are gonna complain about people so much “hyping “ a program than there is no need for you to be on a forum where band parents , alumni and student like to give there opinions and show there love for there bands . No matter what my opinion is or yours it doesn’t matter and what matter is the judges on Saturday and you they think should advance . With that being said yes prediction are opinion and you should attack someone for liking a program more than another . I love giving my opinion and that’s why I joined but y’all needa chill

Thank you for taking the time to make commentaries on the bands.

I did not stutter. I chose my words carefully, so calm down. My issue is that many bands are "hyped" on here. That's supposed to be part of the fun of it? We get excited about what each program is doing. Haltom has had a rough season, yes, but that only makes room for improvement. So if someone wants to say Richland is the best in their opinion. Go for it! The world is full of reality. Watch the news for it. I come here to read about people's excitement for their programs, not someone grumbling because they don't like someone else's enthusiasm. I've waited YEARS to have other people as excited about Haltom as I am. It doesn't mean they are blindly loving them for Pete's sake. Chill.

Calm down?  "The lady/man doth protest too much, methinks"

My friend...I'm not the one upset because a band isn't getting enough hype.  If you care to read my early comments about Haltom, you would see exactly what I was talking about in my last comment.  I WAS hyping Haltom because they deserved it based on an incredible 2017.  However, I also tempered that with a big dose of "it's been one year of success"....I wanted to see how this year played out before saying they had "taken the next step" to becoming a perennial lock for State.

Numbers don't lie....if you look at the 2018 results, Haltom has not done that.  If you want to hype them...hype away.  If you're upset they are not getting enough hype this season, I can't help you...they have not earned the hype this season.

Qualify for state in THIS area and, yes, the hype will be justified.

Well I guess the one true thing about the bands in the Area B contest is that nothing is in Black and White. And although
our opinions of the bands might be Polar Opposites,  we will all agree the all the bands and their kids are great and it will
be one heck of a competition.  :)        

Calm down? "The lady/man doth protest too much, methinks"

My friend...I'm not the one upset because a band isn't getting enough hype. If you care to read my early comments about Haltom, you would see exactly what I was talking about in my last comment. I WAS hyping Haltom because they deserved it based on an incredible 2017. However, I also tempered that with a big dose of "it's been one year of success"....I wanted to see how this year played out before saying they had "taken the next step" to becoming a perennial lock for State.

Numbers don't lie....if you look at the 2018 results, Haltom has not done that. If you want to hype them...hype away. If you're upset they are not getting enough hype this season, I can't help you...they have not earned the hype this season.

Qualify for state in THIS area and, yes, the hype will be justified.

Thanks for completely missing my point in my first response to bandit. I simply found their stance of ONLY taking issue with Haltom's praise... interesting. It's puzzling to me, because part of the fun of this site is getting excited about whatever program you enjoy most. My question to them was...why ONLY Haltom? Do I expect them to hype Haltom? Nah. But seriously, why make the effort to downgrade, yes, that's what I said, a program simply because they think Haltom's fans are overhyping them, whilst everyone else is being real? It's curious to me. That's all. I find people's excitement on here for the bands they love refreshing, even if *gasp* it's not being realistic. Who cares? Let people have fun and get excited. Let people put Haltom first or Bell first or Richland first, if they want. The only thing that matters in the end is what the judges decide and in an area packed to the brim with talent, it's anyone's game until 10pm on Saturday. Let's try building up rather than tearing down. It's a lot more fun!

Well I guess the one true thing about the bands in the Area B contest is that nothing is in Black and White. And although

our opinions of the bands might be Polar Opposites, we will all agree the all the bands and their kids are great and it will

be one heck of a competition. :)

Amen to this! Can't wait for Saturday! Everyone's hype is welcome here! Football gets so much attention during this time of year. Let's raise the roof for our Texas marching bands!!!

To add another opinion- people are WAY overreacting on here. All someone said was that they weren't sure if all of these people putting Haltom first was because of bias and hype or if they actually have improved that much (a valid question considering the season they have when compared to the accomplishments of their competitors) and all of the Haltom people come out of the woodworks to attack everyone for "attacking" them.

I must admit I have always loved Haltom's programs and I have several friends who went there but I am among the group of people getting annoyed by the Haltom fans on here. I know I probably am not much to talk because my opinions can be obnoxious, too.

Do I think it is possible for Haltom to make it to state? Absolutely. They have shown they are capable of great things and their show looks like it has awesome potential. Do I have them in my own predictions? No.