Area B 2018

Oh yikes I totally forgot about them! So sorry. They’re definitely in the top 5. Editing my post now.

You’re good! Just wanted to make sure we’re considering all of the bands who could potentially advance to State. Timber Creek was actually 6th in Area finals in 2016 as well. Of course, multiple bands have now been added to the mix, making it even more difficult to predict who will advance to State

After today, I’m thinking it’ll be something like (in somewhat of an order)

1-3:

Keller

Bell

Prosper

4-8:

Timber Creek

Waxa (do people call them Waxa? Is it cool if I do that?)

coppell

Haltom

Dville

When was the last time that either Duncanville or Coppell didn't advance to the state contest?  It could happen this year!

When was the last time that either Duncanville or Coppell didn't advance to the state contest?  It could happen this year!

That’s exactly what I was thinking

BOA and UIL are judged differently. I would not be so quick to dismiss Duncanville and Coppell. They have historically done better at UIL than BOA. In 2016 if I remember correctly, during prelims, both bands beat Keller. Anything can happen yes of course- especially with the addition of 5A bands to the mix. But these are solid UIL bands and they will have solid performances.

So with UIL rules, if PESH has good music and marching scores, but not as high in the GE, does that help them with UIL versus a BOA competition?

Since there is no GE in UIL, performance scores can be an indicator of "cleanliness", which is basically what UIL looks for.  For example, Coppell had pretty good performance scores outside of one music ensemble judge who put them 20th.  This may bode well for their chances at Area.  It's also one of the reasons I wonder about Duncanville.  Traditionally, they seem to have been really solid in these areas, but were anywhere from 17th to 20th in these captions yesterday, and were second to last in individual visual performance at last year's BOA show.  However, anything can change in three weeks!

BOA and UIL are judged differently. I would not be so quick to dismiss Duncanville and Coppell. They have historically done better at UIL than BOA. In 2016 if I remember correctly, during prelims, both bands beat Keller. Anything can happen yes of course- especially with the addition of 5A bands to the mix. But these are solid UIL bands and they will have solid performances.

That was a strange day back in 2016. Between Prelims and Finals I asked a very experienced judge I know for an explanation. He smiled and said, "Don't worry about it. Occasionally someone forgets to leave enough tenths in the gaps. Prelims are just about getting the right bands into Finals and then you fix it there." Overall most of the crowd (with an obvious exception who still seemed to understand) seemed much happier after Finals.

As we celebrated our win on the ride home I couldn't shake the feeling that even Area B Finals is really just another Prelims performance.

(Yes, I know the way UIL ranks the bands doesn't include tenths but that doesn't invalidate the point he was making.)

How is everyone feeling about Mansfield after seeing recent competition results?

I think Mansfield is a contender for Area finals. There are some bands they would have to step through given their placement at HEB, but I don't think it's out of the question. My opinion of their exhibition performance yesterday is that they would have been sparring for a top 3 finish or, less likely, only a top 5 finish. If you're a student at MHS, you could ask Mr. Ludlow (but not post here) if the judges suggested where Mansfield would have placed.

Since there is no GE in UIL, performance scores can be an indicator of "cleanliness", which is basically what UIL looks for.  For example, Coppell had pretty good performance scores outside of one music ensemble judge who put them 20th.  This may bode well for their chances at Area.  It's also one of the reasons I wonder about Duncanville.  Traditionally, they seem to have been really solid in these areas, but were anywhere from 17th to 20th in these captions yesterday, and were second to last in individual visual performance at last year's BOA show.  However, anything can change in three weeks!

A minor note: There is indeed scoring for design in the UIL area/state rubrics, even though there is not a separate caption for it. It is not much, but it is integrated into the music and marching captions.

For those unaware:

I) UIL marching adjudication is broken down into 4 metrics: (40%) Individual Marching, (40%) Ensemble Marching, (10%) Drill, (10%) Integration of Marching Components.

1) The "drill" sub-caption is generally concerned with the difficulty of the drill, and whether it is a good match for the achievement level of the performers.

2) The "integration of marching components" sub-caption is concerned with the drill's degree of fitness to the musical presentation.

3) Both of these together come reasonably close to what is expected of VGE, with the major exception that the guard is not adjudicated here. It is evaluated as a sub-sub-caption under "individual marching" vis-a-vis "handling of equipment." It often makes little difference in terms of score.

II) UIL music adjudication is broken down into 3 metrics: (33.3%) Brass, Woodwind, and Percussion Performance, (33.3%) Ensemble Performance, (33.3%) Musicianship.

1) The first two sub-captions are basically two layers of music ensemble; the first concerning particular ensemble contributions, and the second concerning the ensemble as a whole.

2) The last sub-caption is like music general effect, except it makes no reference to any fitness with the visual presentation, nor directly to repertoire. (I cannot remember offhand if the BOA rubrics explicitly state that music GE is judged that way, but in practice it probably is.) The key words that the UIL rubric co-authors chose to use here were along the lines of "artistry," "maximum use of dynamics," and "control of tempo" -- in other words, the things which for the most part make the piece come alive and be effective. Now, of course you need music which is actually written such that the performers can manifest those excellences, and so in that way it implicitly calls for effective music. But beyond this, your music program is generally not required to be anything other than UIL Blue Bell Vanilla in order to do maximally well.

The "drill" sub-caption is generally concerned with the difficulty of the drill, and whether it is a good match for the achievement level of the performers.

But beyond this, your music program is generally not required to be anything other than UIL Blue Bell Vanilla in order to do maximally well.

Wow! For me, those two separate sentences about drill and music, even lifted from your comment without the additional context, are still a beautiful summary of the often asked question, "What's the difference between UIL and BOA?"

In my experience it seem like scores fall on a continuum that combines level of difficulty and level of execution. I feel like UIL tends to over-reward execution often enough that it can have the unintended consequence of discouraging difficult drill and music. On the other hand BOA loves difficulty but may be just beginning to over-reward chaotic drill that hides the dirt.

"We now return you to the regularly scheduled Area B debate."

Mansfield High School has been doing some really great things these past years. I wouldn’t be surprised if they made state.

1)Keller

2)Haltom

3)Coppell

4)Duncanville

5) Mansfield High School

Well, Waxahachie has beaten Coppell, Duncanville and Mansfield, so you should at least put them in the mix.  Also, Timber Creek and Prosper are really good this year...

Well, Waxahachie has beaten Coppell, Duncanville and Mansfield, so you should at least put them in the mix. Also, Timber Creek and Prosper are really good this year...

If ima be honest all of those groups other than Keller aren’t locks . Really those last spots could be anyone’s . And we really won’t know until the 27th

Ok.....just be advised that this can change in the next 10 minutes but based on two weeks of contests, I'm making another prediction.

• Keller - really the only lock - they've backed it up with their results
  • Prosper - I'm going to go ahead and put them in - they've attended two really competitive contests and done exceptionally well
  • Waxahachie - strong band....always strong and good result at BOA DFW
  • Timber Creek - Same as Prosper - good results at deep contests
  • LD Bell - Strong as always
  • Those giving LD Bell a run for their money for the last spot
    • Coppell - didn't make finals at BOA DFW but they're the strongest remaining band based on the last couple of weeks
    • Richland - I thought Haltom was going to win when they showed up on the Mansfield schedule.....welp.
    • Haltom - two 5th place finishes - certainly not what they expected
    • Keller Central - didn't make finals at BOA DFW - difficult to tell where they are right now
    • Plano East
    • Trinity

<p>

Ok.....just be advised that this can change in the next 10 minutes but based on two weeks of contests, I'm making another prediction.

• Keller - really the only lock - they've backed it up with their results
  • Prosper - I'm going to go ahead and put them in - they've attended two really competitive contests and done exceptionally well
  • Waxahachie - strong band....always strong and good result at BOA DFW
  • Timber Creek - Same as Prosper - good results at deep contests
  • LD Bell - Strong as always
  • Those giving LD Bell a run for their money for the last spot
  • Coppell - didn't make finals at BOA DFW but they're the strongest remaining band based on the last couple of weeks
  • Richland - I thought Haltom was going to win when they showed up on the Mansfield schedule.....welp.
  • Haltom - two 5th place finishes - certainly not what they expected
  • Keller Central - didn't make finals at BOA DFW - difficult to tell where they are right now
  • Plano East
  • Trinity
I honestly completely give up on prediction in this area cause nobody except Keller can be put into a lock or a prediction. Especially because there is a whole three weeks left until area and so so much can change .

How many make it? 5 or 6?

5 is almost a certainty....6 is pushing it but there's a possibility.

I counted 36 bands in the area....this is from the UIL website.

Advancement from Area Contest to State Contest
  1. 2A/3A/4A Certification. In conferences 2A/3A/4A the music area

shall certify the three bands receiving the highest ranking in each

conference to the state marching band contest. Should twenty or more

bands qualify for advancement in a single conference for the area

contest, one band for each five bands that qualifed for advancement to

the contest shall be certified for advancement to the state contest.

2. 5A/6A Certification. In Conferences 5A/6A the music area shall

certify the two bands receiving the highest ranking in each conference

to the state marching band contest. Should fifteen or more bands qualify

for advancement in a single conference for the area contest, one band

for each five bands that qualifed for advancement to the contest shall

be certified for advancement to the state contest.

3. In addition, in area contests advancing two bands, any band that

receives a ranking of two or higher from two music judges and one

marching judge shall also advance to the state contest.  In addition,

in contests advancing three or more bands, any band that receives a

ranking of three or higher from two music judges and one marching judge

shall also advance to the state contest.

So my kid is in Richland Band and while I am certainly not a pro at this stuff....here's my take on it all.

I was at Bandfest on Tuesday and thought Haltom was amazing and Richland was improving but not up to last year's show. Richland does not have near as many seniors this year as they did last year and even fewer Juniors this year so the group is a very 'youthful' one. Add that to the new-at-head director change. The practice Monday night was very challenging with props and they didn't even use them Tuesday. 

On Saturday,I didn't get there to see Haltom and at the end of prelims I still figured they might take 1st again. I thought Summit was very good. Then Richland performed. Oh! My! Goodness! The change from Tuesday to Saturday for Richland was astonishing!  I thought we could take third or even second, after Haltom. They were that good! 

Not third...not second. Dang we were going to take fourth? Then Richland first place! (and they didn't even get to perform their opening because of electrical problems so they reset and started at part 2) Shocked and delighted at the same time.

Their show is called Out Of The Blue and the song choices are all at odds with each other because they are.....out of the blue choices! The jazz part with the baritone sax solo is amazing and so much fun! Percussion in that part gets to have some fun and they won the Percussion caption VE won caption as well.

I have no clue what happened to Haltom that they dropped to 5th. Hope to see them again this Saturday at the BISD Marching Festival. Richland performs at 9:30, Birdville at 4:30 and Haltom at 9:30.

So my kid is in Richland Band and while I am certainly not a pro at this stuff....here's my take on it all.

I was at Bandfest on Tuesday and thought Haltom was amazing and Richland was improving but not up to last year's show. Richland does not have near as many seniors this year as they did last year and even fewer Juniors this year so the group is a very 'youthful' one. Add that to the new-at-head director change. The practice Monday night was very challenging with props and they didn't even use them Tuesday.

On Saturday,I didn't get there to see Haltom and at the end of prelims I still figured they might take 1st again. I thought Summit was very good. Then Richland performed. Oh! My! Goodness! The change from Tuesday to Saturday for Richland was astonishing! I thought we could take third or even second, after Haltom. They were that good!

Not third...not second. Dang we were going to take fourth? Then Richland first place! (and they didn't even get to perform their opening because of electrical problems so they reset and started at part 2) Shocked and delighted at the same time.

Their show is called Out Of The Blue and the song choices are all at odds with each other because they are.....out of the blue choices! The jazz part with the baritone sax solo is amazing and so much fun! Percussion in that part gets to have some fun and they won the Percussion caption VE won caption as well.

I have no clue what happened to Haltom that they dropped to 5th. Hope to see them again this Saturday at the BISD Marching Festival. Richland performs at 9:30, Birdville at 4:30 and Haltom at 9:30.

A lot of things go into factor I’m very happy for Richland and can’t wait to see them and Haltom grow through out the season and the thing about Haltom is they have probably the most difficult show I’ve seen them have so the question is will Haltom be like keller and just be incredible at the end or will this show be a little too hard for them?

A lot of things go into factor I’m very happy for Richland and can’t wait to see them and Haltom grow through out the season and the thing about Haltom is they have probably the most difficult show I’ve seen them have so the question is will Haltom be like keller and just be incredible at the end or will this show be a little too hard for them?

I see that also if you compare the music and what they are doing to last year it looks and sounds way harder . But I’m hoping by the time area comes they suprise us . 3 weeks and a lot can happen

I’m three weeks